Bucknife

9 unique T-70s = "Hang-In there, kids"

People need squad building options for this tiny new faction. 

Plus, they've got source material to work with. 

Plus, they're X-Wings. 

Hopefully, should keep Resistance list architects busy until we get more ships. 

7 hours ago, Bucknife said:

People need squad building options for this tiny new faction. 

Plus, they've got source material to work with. 

Plus, they're X-Wings. 

Hopefully, should keep Resistance list architects busy until we get more ships. 

I really don't get why this is even such a big talking point. The T65 also has 9 unique and 3 generic pilots, and the Imperial TI/ln has 10 uniques and 3 generics. They're staple, iconic ships for their factions and the setting, it makes sense. The only difference is those are spread out amongst different products, whereas the T70 is for now only coming in one expansion so the pilots are all concentrated there.

Edited by rawbean

9 different unique pilots doesn't seem like a strong selling point. In the history of X-wing for most ships there is only 1 pilot that does very well, and the rest are never taken. Occasionally a Ship will have 2 good pilots that usually work well together (i.e. Howlrunner and Academy). So with 9 pilots, that is more like a signal that 7 of those won't be used that much.

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

9 different unique pilots doesn't seem like a strong selling point. In the history of X-wing for most ships there is only 1 pilot that does very well, and the rest are never taken. Occasionally a Ship will have 2 good pilots that usually work well together (i.e. Howlrunner and Academy). So with 9 pilots, that is more like a signal that 7 of those won't be used that much.

But cardboard is the cheap bit, so who cares if there are 7 unused pilots (for tournament players).

People like me like to have campaigns with pilot mortality, so lots of named pilots are very nice to have for a single chassis.  And pilot mortality forces you to use them.  They are also fun for second-string-aces scenarios.

Lastly, if this game ever gets around to a SQUADRON MECHANIC, running multiple aces of the same chassis could finally be a thing.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, Darth Meanie said:

But cardboard is the cheap bit, so who cares if there are 7 unused pilots (for tournament players).

People like me like to have campaigns with pilot mortality, so lots of named pilots are very nice to have for a single chassis.  And pilot mortality forces you to use them.  They are also fun for second-string-aces scenarios.

Lastly, if this game ever gets around to a SQUADRON MECHANIC, running multiple aces of the same chassis could finally be a thing.

I like the idea of having a narrative campaign where the hero can't be everywhere at once (still having flashback to WH40K 5th ed where Gazzskull was in every Ork list). 

I sort of wished the critical damage with the pilot trait had more of a permanent effect, as it actually scars the pilot. 

On 11/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, Marinealver said:

Bruv Kare Kun gets me all sorts of excited. You can slap a cannon on her like its nobody's business. Why? She can go **** near wherever she wants when she turns so long as you boost. Her having Daredevil + makes it so that she can point her nose at whatever she needs to. So she's a genuinely good HLC platform. Throw Predator or Marksmanship on her and suddenly she's a ship you seriously don't want to get in front of.

Honestly I might run Kare Kun and Poe Dameron stuffed with upgrades for that reason.

4 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

I'm still kinda surprised that ffg hasn't figured out that you shouldn't give the highest I pilot the best (re: extra dice mods) ability

...and there's Vader, the only ship in the game with 3 agility AND 3 force. 

Remember when they were talking about each faction having a unique aspect? They said that the Resistance would be all about the heroes, so it makes sense it would be largely named pilots.

Edited by AlKusanagi

55 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

...and there's Vader, the only ship in the game with 3 agility AND 3 force. 

yeah, but at least force pilots are costed appropriately imo

the other Advance could have better abilities, though, especially given how hard the base chassis favors higher Initiative (because you need TL)

On 11/2/2018 at 1:11 PM, Marinealver said:

there were over a dozen ships with multiple good pilots in 1.0, so not really sure what your referencing

2 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

there were over a dozen ships with multiple good pilots in 1.0, so not really sure what your referencing

Did they all make the top cut?

Sure there are a lot of good pilots but most of them were not competitive, so in the case of the meta they were not that good. 

actually what might be nice for the Resistance pack is if it included a few GCW units that have been confirmed to have been in the Resistance. we have one named RZ-1 pilot from the Poe Dameron comics, and it wouldn't be hard to toss a generic in as well for them for the other side. we've seen the RZ-1 in the Poe Dameron comics (might need to create or just declare a 2nd named pilot), an the T-65 X-wing in the Battlefront II DLC (where 1 named flew a T-65 X-wing and a 2nd named one had commanded a T-65 squadron and thus could easily be stuck in one for gameplay use)

being able to toss L'ulo L'ampar in his RZ-1 A-wing, and Iden Versio and Shriv Suurgav in T-65's alongside all those named T-70's would be nice and add more variety than just T-70's, the YT-1300, and the bomber.

20 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Did they all make the top cut?

Sure there are a lot of good pilots but most of them were not competitive, so in the case of the meta they were not that good. 

again, not sure what you mean. there were a ton of competetive pilots that didnt see much play in tourneys because everyone follows popular trends.  the "competetive" aka meta scene is mostly netlisters who arent good at making lists so they copy whatever they heard is winning a lot.  there were plenty of great cards and pilots which were ignored in the tourney scene for months simply because no one posted about how OP they were, until someone wins a tournament and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.  

35 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

again, not sure what you mean. there were a ton of competetive pilots that didnt see much play in tourneys because everyone follows popular trends.  the "competetive" aka meta scene is mostly netlisters who arent good at making lists so they copy whatever they heard is winning a lot.  there were plenty of great cards and pilots which were ignored in the tourney scene for months simply because no one posted about how OP they were, until someone wins a tournament and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.  

Plenty of competitive pilots sure but how many ships had multiple plots that were consistently in the top cut?

TIE Fighter comes to mind with Howlrunner and Academy pilot and Black Squadron Pilot. That is mostly the exception. Same could be said about JM5K as all 4 pilots made top cuts but that could be argued for other reasons.

E-wings had Corran Horn, X-wings had Biggs, Z-95 had Bandit Squadron, YT-1300 had Han. Scum Y-wings had Syndicate Thugs. For the most part naming the ship was also naming the pilot as well. There was only a few cases where naming a X ship at a tournament didn't mean Y pilot.

Edited by Marinealver

On 11/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, Marinealver said:

Plenty of competitive pilots sure but how many ships had multiple plots that were consistently in the top cut?

TIE Fighter comes to mind with Howlrunner and Academy pilot and Black Squadron Pilot. That is mostly the exception. Same could be said about JM5K as all 4 pilots made top cuts but that could be argued for other reasons.

E-wings had Corran Horn, X-wings had Biggs, Z-95 had Bandit Squadron, YT-1300 had Han. Scum Y-wings had Syndicate Thugs. For the most part naming the ship was also naming the pilot as well. There was only a few cases where naming a X ship at a tournament didn't mean Y pilot.

again thats a weird thing to say.  I dont care about tournaments at all,but i did have to play casually against tourney players and ive paid attention to whst they were convinced was worthy or viable.   Yt1300s had Rey, Han, Chewie, and chewie mark 2 all see competive to cut play, and even lando had a moment.  i just dont think the field was as limited as you seem to

2 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

again thats a weird thing to say.  I dont care about tournaments at all,but i did have to play casually against tourney players and ive paid attention to whst they were convinced was worthy or viable.   Yt1300s had Rey, Han, Chewie, and chewie mark 2 all see competive to cut play, and even lando had a moment.  i just dont think the field was as limited as you seem to

Well when you say you don't care about tournaments then you don't care about what is on top or not. Nothing wrong with that, I mean you are right in you could play with any pilot you wanted to. Esegee, Gand Findsman, Red Squadron Pilot, Lt. Blount, Even Fel's Wrath. But as we all know a lot of the pilot cards out there just didn't match their squadron point cost or were good in a different meta (often 2 waves too late). In many cases, a ship only had one pilot. X-wings were always Biggs, Corran Horn was inside every E-wing on the table. TIE/FO was Omega Leader, Z-95s Bandit Squadron, Scum-wings (Y-wing) Thugs. Maybe for 2nd edition (and extended/hyperspace) if the devs or OP or whoever FFG has calling the shots can keep the point adjustment so that for most of the ships they have multiple viable pilots, but for now we will just have to wait and see.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:38 AM, Marinealver said:

While I think you're actually right about this, in general, it's funny that one of the few ships this didn't apply to was the T-70.

Jess Pava was in a ton of competitive lists as support with M9-G8, I think it was usually with Poe and Lowhrrick. Nien had a couple of vaguely competitive builds too.

Also bear in mind that is usually only one pilot per ship at any given snap shot in time. Over the lifetime of 1e, several pilots came and went. I'm thinking here of pilots like Ten Numb, who was briefly a competitive powerhouse (I forget the exact build, but I think it was Mangler and Adv Sensors?). Three Warden Ks was a thing for a bit too, it wasn't just Miranda. Echo was just as dominant as Whisper pre Phantom nerf. Dengar, Manaroo and Scouts all had their time etc. 

So the last episode of Star Wars: Resistance had the hero rescue someone else, and put her... in the back seat of his T-70.

So where's the crew slot for the T-70!?!?!

t70crew.jpg.843aa324fef704dfc515067318ca5c17.jpg

I mean you can totally stuff errr... all the Resistance Crew back there!

1702756042_t70cockpit.jpg.6f355219c96211a4c3ee6c34161ddbad.jpg

Edited by XPav