Cubanboy

Happy Friday - What changes do you make to the AWing?

Hello and Happy Friday!

This week let’s change up a bit, with 2.0 there is a great ability to change upgrades and points, so what do you do to bring the Awing to the tables more?

The only limitation to this topic is not change the abilities to the cards. 

Happy Friday and I hope everyone has an amazing weekend, good luck to Ryan / Dee / Dallas / Andrew at the Mynock Open. 

36 minutes ago, stuffedskullcat said:

I keep seeing the suggestion to re-introduce them with two EPT slots; it's worth trying. More pilots would be nice, too...

I would guess over the next years we will see new ship packs, they have a lot to work with ?

An I6 pilot with a non support ability. Autothrusters instead of the weaker version they have. A way to get more attack without resorting to missiles (extra die in bullseye or something) or a cost reduction of 1-2pts.

Making the most maneuverable ship in faction mostly a blocker/support ship with no true ace is baffling to me.

It’s tempting to say add a second missile slot so they can use barrage or take both proton rockets and another missile. With only one charge, proton rockets makes it seem like the A-wing was designed to die young.

The second EPT would probably be the best thing to do in terms of making the ship feel unique. It may or may not make it viable.

I heard an idea for a title that lets them replace their boost templates with speed-2 templates. Give them Daredevil for added fun - it's like they can SLAM but still shoot!

But I honestly predict that the A-wing will be the next Rebel expansion pack, and that it will have a very competitive high-initiative pilot. People will put her on the table because she's awesome. Then they'll go back to Arvel and Jake and realize that they weren't as bad as was first thought. Then A-wing lovers will be happy.

2 hours ago, stuffedskullcat said:

I keep seeing the suggestion to re-introduce them with two EPT slots; it's worth trying. More pilots would be nice, too...

... especially if they remain as they are with no mod slots. 

I would actually really enjoy them even without my good 'ol stealth device mods if they could have Intimidation + Juke.

More pilots.  That's the biggest thing, I figure.

An actual Init 5 or even 6 ace would go a long way towards finding a niche roll in Rebels, even without real updates to the frame.  Init 4 on Jake doesn't cut it.  If he was Init 5, he'd be really good.  The way that Jake can double-reposition (at least in one order) and wind up with a focus token is pretty impressive, or just focus/single reposition without stress (so he'll have a full white dial).  But he's only Init 4, and that hurts.  In 1e, Jake and Tycho could work somewhat as pocket aces.  They were a little awkward, since either they were low damage, or paid 2 more points for a single missile shot than any other ship, but they could kinda function.  They had enough PS to sorta hang, for at least some portion of the history of X-Wing.

//

Another thing: more missile options.  Something 3-4 points with 3-dice, range 1-2.  Maybe that's a new missile, maybe a price cut on Cluster Missiles.  Heck, I wouldn't mind if nearly every missile went down 1 point.  With Homing I don't know if they need the cut; with Barrage maybe even up 1 point, because they're so much easier to use.  That'd also be good for the also-weak Scyk and TIE v1.

20 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

Hera and her pilot Ability in an A-Wing. Init 5 super reposistioning. And so, so thematic. Plus it might take the sting out of how terrible her actual ship the Ghost is right now for us Rebels show fans.

Out of all the suggestions I've seen, this one makes the most sense and I have the least issue with. As potent as the ability to maneuver change like she does is. I'm thinking 50-52 pts for her.

Edited by Hiemfire

Having just debated the crap out of this topic the other day, let’s just say I have some opinions.

First, quickest and probably most important in my mind, is double talent slots for pilots with talents.  That quick change would take the current pilots from being mostly just blockers with missiles to a diverse selection of builds. This would help A-Wings deal damage through accuracy, rather than throwing fists full of dice.

Second, a higher Initiative pilots would open up a lot of build options that are currently lacking for Rebels.  Two pilots between I5-I6 with self buffing abilities would be perfect.  Hera is an ideal candidate, and I would love to see Tycho come back.  Tycho would certainly needs a new ability though, or at least a rewrite.  Maybe worded like Hera (Crew) except being able to perform actions instead of red manuevers.

Finally, bring back Snap Shot!!!  Maybe make it range 1 and range 1-2 in the bullseye.

It's at least a little sad that so many feel it's I5 or go home.  Maybe FFG was a little too aggressive in costing the aces out there.

I'm curious if an across the board cost increase for all initiative 5 or 6 pilots is in order.  Maybe just the ones with (white?) reposition options. 

I definitely think Supernatural Reflexes should get a price hike.  And my pet idea is to make SupRef and Advanced Sensors variable pricing based on initiative.  AS on muh B-wing generics is a very different upgrade than on Guri.

All that to say, maybe all the current Aces are just too cheap.  They pay too little for the privilege of making dials not matter.

Not all that much, probably. I think the A-Wing is mostly fine, rules wise. The problem is that some players have a tendency to write off any pilot that isn't a) I5 or higher and/or b) only rolls two attack dice. For the same reason v1s, and even TIE Fighters and Headhunters, see relatively little play. I don't think this necessarily has to do with power, but rather easy of play and fun factor.

An I6 pilot won't make the chassis any better. A low power, low initiative interceptor is a challenge to play, and some people just won't enjoy that.

Hera.

@GILLIES291 I do wanna say, Hera of all pilots is actually semi-viable in the Ghost right now, if not quite competitive. Throwing just Zeb and Intimidation for 5 points makes her a 5-attack battering ram with effectively i5 repositioning and defense negation.

@gamblertuba I do like the idea of pricing based on initiative. 3 ranges of price, by pairs of initiative sounds fine to me.

9 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Give us Tycho.....

and a green paint job.

Yeah, I know. The second isn’t gonna happen so let’s hope for the first. 

Don't give up on the green paint job.  I think it would be a natural skin for the A-wing re-release.  They can't add moving parts or a turret like the X and Y, so they have to change something to make people want to buy.  There was a green A-wing in Phoenix squadron that was made as a hot wheels plastic A-wing: 

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-Starship-Fighter-Rebels/dp/B016APHZLU

The other option would be Hera's A-wing, which was grey with red accents.  I still think there's a possibility they might do the A-wing re-release as part of the Epic return by including it with a Hammerhead corvette.

Edited by dadocollin

51 minutes ago, dadocollin said:

Don't give up on the green paint job.  I think it would be a natural skin for the A-wing re-release.  They can't add moving parts or a turret like the X and Y, so they have to change something to make people want to buy.  There was a green A-wing in Phoenix squadron that was made as a hot wheels plastic A-wing: 

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-Starship-Fighter-Rebels/dp/B016APHZLU

The other option would be Hera's A-wing, which was grey with red accents.  I still think there's a possibility they might do the A-wing re-release as part of the Epic return by including it with a Hammerhead corvette.

I don't do Rebs that much, but considering we already have a blue and red versions , I'd buy a green or two

Happy Friday CB! 

What would I do? 

Give it a mod slot, and maybe a points adjustment, but that’s it.

In a couple waves were going to get a 2.0 A-wing release. There’s going to be all kinds of new goodness in there, and I don’t want to jeopardize that, even if our current A-wing pilots aren’t seeing table time.

we still have a lot of ships that aren’t hitting the board, and I would rather wait and see what FFG does with the A-wing before crying foul and asking for to many changes. 

So I think a single mod slot, to allow a shield/hull for survival, and a points cost reduction of maybe 2 or 3 points across the board should put them in a better spot.

Maybe too much but:

"While defending, if you are not in the attacker's bullseye arc, you may change one result to an [evade] result."

Maybe make an A-wing only mod or EPT (and give them all an extra EPT slot)

Would make the A-wing a pain in the @%& to kill but still hit like a wet noodle which is pretty close to what I remember from the ol' X-wing and TIE Fighter games.

I wonder what it would take. The three roles I want for the A-wing is as ordnance carrier, miniswarm, or as supermobile ace.

Supermobile ace nowadays means pre-movement repositioning and I don't see that happening. As best next we could at least have a ship with high action economy. Jake is ok in that regard, with double repositoning+focus.

Miniswarm like the finger four or finger five back in the day... I don't know, is it really so much worse now? A-wings are cheaper now, and e.g. 5 with predator and 2 homing / 2 prockets is possible. Or just 6 A-wings. If it is bad, why? Is it just generally the problem of swarms?

Ordnance carrier has the problem of weak missiles because none are actually too good (which is healthy for the game!)