Sign in to follow this  
Dameon13

Advice/tweeks for competative Ackbar?

I'm not much of a Rebel player but I've had considerable success lately with a Mon Mothma list in tournaments (including a Storm Championship win!) but I'd like to branch out and try other Rebel admirals. Ackbar is top of the list. Plan A was to go with a H1MC80 and 2 or 3 CR90s but that doesn't leave room for many squadrons and more concerning is the popularity of Early Warning Systems and how it can shut down Ackbar-ing with CR90s.  So, I came up with this idea:

Ackbar + Squadrons
Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Admiral Ackbar

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
Jainas Light  ( 2  points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)
= 53 total ship cost

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)
= 51 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Assault Frigate Mark II B (72 points)
-  Admiral Ackbar  ( 38  points)
-  Major Derlin  ( 7  points)
-  Caitken and Shollan  ( 6  points)
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
= 140 total ship cost

GR-75 Combat Retrofits (24 points)
Bright Hope  ( 2  points)
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)
-  Bomber Command Center  ( 8  points)
= 38 total ship cost

1 Jan Ors ( 19 points)
1 Biggs Darklighter ( 19 points)
1 Luke Skywalker ( 20 points)
1 Gold Squadron ( 12 points)
1 Y-Wing Squadron ( 10 points)
1 Norra Wexley ( 17 points)
2 X-Wing Squadrons ( 26 points)
= 123 total squadron cost

Pretty basic Objective list. Nobody seams to ever want to play Planetary Ion Cannon so that means a greater chance of playing Advanced Gunnery which is useful for the AFMkII. The AFMkII is set up to be survivable. I know people go go crazy over Early Warning Systems but that only shuts down 1 die. I've personally one-shot killed two AFMkIIs in the same turn with the front arc of a Gunnery Team ISD, so I'd rather keep my flagship from being popped by a single volley. EWS does give good defense vs fighters, but if the flagship is under attack by fighters, that means my squadron ball is gone.

It's a lot of squadrons, but the CR90s can help give a boost to get more into the fight if needed. I am seeing a lot more squadron-less lists, but that's not a given. So this is designed to be a tar pit if I come up against anything like a dedicated Heavy Squadron Anti-Squadron build or alternatively bomb the snot out of anything if unopposed.

Edited by Dameon13

I like this list. The bomber wing is really nasty, and the firepower coming from ackbar is respectable as well. 

A couple of tips though. You have several more squadrons than activations so you may have a tough time utilizing all of them. You might consider expanded Hangar Bay instead of boosted comms.

Also, I don’t think that you are getting a ton out of X17 because bombers can usually make up for redirected damage. I have founded that slaved turrets works well with a caitken and shollan AFMK2, but if you are going for ackbar slashes, I wouldn’t use it. So depending on how aggressive you want to be with the ship, slaved turrets might be worth considering. 

Best of Luck!