Mcpolle

Whats best, TTS or Vassal

Hi, 

Am needing to get some more reps in on my lists, whats best/easiest?? TTS or Vassal, I understand that vassal is probably more in depth, but what is the learning curve like??

Thx

I play both, Vassal is nice if your computer is slow or you don’t got a mouse handy, TTS is nice cuz it’s more realistic and a lot is automatically done through the dials. If you play TTS make sure to join the discord to find games. First link is the discord for TTS X-Wing, second  is for Kyber Cup, tournament and leagues.

https://discord.gg/6KSuySP

https://discord.gg/v4aUDWS

Edited by Quack Shot

45 minutes ago, Mcpolle said:

Seems TTS is easier to get into than vassal. Have tried Vassal once or twice a good while ago, never really got the hang of all the commands.

I have a mouse interface to implement in mind. Click on a ship, get a quick "info chart" on the ship and have icons that let you do stuff (move, reposition, activate arcs, etc.) Would that help you reconsider vassal?

Vassal is pretty good, particularly well for what it is. My main complaints are likely more specific to my computer. Some commonly used commands trigger unexpected consequences... like a hard 2-right turn fires up my computer hardware diagnostics. Another as of yet unidentified key sequence turns my keyboard French, so I get funny accent marks all over the place in chat.

I have TTS, but have never bothered to install the X-Wing module. Or the TTS, to be honest.

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Vassal is less flashy but works nicely. TTS has some annoying features due to being a physics sandbox at heart. 

Fly Casual would be the best if it worked, but I can't play even one game without it crashing

As silly as it is, the “physical” dice in a virtual game is one of my biggest annoyances with tabletop sim. Just give me a button and a result. 

And ya, once fly casual gets its numerous (and its understandable as to why there are numerous) bugs ironed out, it’s going to be awesome.

7 hours ago, Kdubb said:

As silly as it is, the “physical” dice in a virtual game is one of my biggest annoyances with tabletop sim. Just give me a button and a result. 

And ya, once fly casual gets its numerous (and its understandable as to why there are numerous) bugs ironed out, it’s going to be awesome.

Someone made a dice feature where you click how many dice you need and tap the button and rolls for you nicely in the one spot, can right click on it and pops the results on the screen so if someone wasn’t looking they know, spend focus to change, etc. not sure where to get it, I just got it as a saved object.

I tried Vassal, and found the amount of shortcuts to remember frustrating, also the no text on cards was a bit painful.

I really like TTS, there are still some odd bugs in it here and there, but it feels great to play, and I think it is closer to helping you fly things properly with the ability to eyeball locations by moving your camera around.

22 hours ago, Mu0n729 said:

I have a mouse interface to implement in mind. Click on a ship, get a quick "info chart" on the ship and have icons that let you do stuff (move, reposition, activate arcs, etc.) Would that help you reconsider vassal?

Yes, very much so, it seems the more players play on Vassal, it just seems more time consuming to get into.