Cloaker

How to fix the Scyk; The answers are in the lore.

13 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

...the pilot abities on the Scyks are all solid.  Their only real problem is the base cost could use a drop in points.  But otherwise they just need some more cannon and torpedo options.

I'm very happy that the designers sorted out all of the unique pilots abilities for Scyks.  They are all interesting and useful, but as you said, a bit too expensive right now for what they bring to the table.  (I really wish Genesis Red was made an I5 in 2.0 ::sigh::)

Hopefully we get some new hard point options that make their cost justifiable or all of the Scyks (minus Sunny maybe) get a small points discount.

I also want to lament the lack of blue maneuvers on the 2.0 dials.  I wonder why the designers felt the need to make their 2 banks white, just feels un-necessary.

6 minutes ago, Burius1981 said:

I'm very happy that the designers sorted out all of the unique pilots abilities for Scyks.  They are all interesting and useful, but as you said, a bit too expensive right now for what they bring to the table.  (I really wish Genesis Red was made an I5 in 2.0 ::sigh::)

Hopefully we get some new hard point options that make their cost justifiable or all of the Scyks (minus Sunny maybe) get a small points discount.

I also want to lament the lack of blue maneuvers on the 2.0 dials.  I wonder why the designers felt the need to make their 2 banks white, just feels un-necessary.

But at the same time, there are builds that are remarkably cheap for what you get.  Laetin with Juke and an Ion Cannon is only 44 points.    A straight up B-Wing with an Ion Cannon will set a rebel list back 47pts.  And in no way will it be as maneuverable as the Scyk, or as dodgy.  

The dial is puzzling to me.  I think they should have given it a S-Loop, or a T-Roll.  The removal of the blue 2-banks is a head scratcher, but I’ve noticed something with the ship...  It doesn’t really *need that many blue maneuvers.    Barring stress inducing crits, debris, or the K-Turns, it’s got a good selection of white maneuvers and they work well enough most of the time.  The ship doesn’t have linked actions, and none of the pilot abilities involve taking stress to do something.  So they tend to only get stressed when K-Turning.

40 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Imperials before the TIE Aggressor:  TURRETS ARE THE MOST BROKEN THING EVER AND THEY RUIN THE GAME!!!

Imperials after the TIE Aggressor: WOW, TURRETS ARE AWFUL, PLZ FIX!

?

Anyone with a brain in first edition:  Twin Laser Turrets are terrible and ruin the game.

Anyone paying attention in second edition:  Ion and Dorsal Turrets seem underwhelming and the TIE Aggressor is absolutely bonkers overpriced relative to the TIE bomber.

1 minute ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

But at the same time, there are builds that are remarkably cheap for what you get.  Laetin with Juke and an Ion Cannon is only 44 points.    A straight up B-Wing with an Ion Cannon will set a rebel list back 47pts.  And in no way will it be as maneuverable as the Scyk, or as dodgy.  

The dial is puzzling to me.  I think they should have given it a S-Loop, or a T-Roll.  The removal of the blue 2-banks is a head scratcher, but I’ve noticed something with the ship...  It doesn’t really *need that many blue maneuvers.    Barring stress inducing crits, debris, or the K-Turns, it’s got a good selection of white maneuvers and they work well enough most of the time.  The ship doesn’t have linked actions, and none of the pilot abilities involve taking stress to do something.  So they tend to only get stressed when K-Turning.

I've been erring on the side of hit points over agility, especially on ships that don't arc dodge very well like Scyks.  That Laetin build is fun, but the B-Wing has a 3-dice gun and twice the health when the green dice inevitably fail you.  A Scyk can easily pop from one Proton Torpedo, a B-Wing never will.  This isn't the whole story of course, but 4S/4H isn't anything to sneeze at, even though B-Wings could also stand for a points reduction.

I agree with you on the dial 100%.  Scyks don't need more blue maneuvers, but I don't know why they would need to be removed either.  Having the 2-banks being green was handy in 1.0 after a 5k.

8 minutes ago, Burius1981 said:

I've been erring on the side of hit points over agility, especially on ships that don't arc dodge very well like Scyks.  That Laetin build is fun, but the B-Wing has a 3-dice gun and twice the health when the green dice inevitably fail you.  A Scyk can easily pop from one Proton Torpedo, a B-Wing never will.  This isn't the whole story of course, but 4S/4H isn't anything to sneeze at, even though B-Wings could also stand for a points reduction.

You are correct, there is something to be said about raw hit points... Especially since the B-Wing has incentive to take a shieldor hull upgrade, on account of how dirt-cheap it is for them.  I used Laetin for example, because he clocks in at Initiative 3 and can generate Evade tokens when he dodges or misses an attack.  If we go with an even Generic/Initiative comparison, a Blade Squdron with Ion is 49 (44-base), and a Tansari Ver with Ion cannon is 38 (33-base).  

They are without a doubt the cheapest cannon toting ship in the game, and are on second only to Tie/Bombers for cheapest Torp slot.

6 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

what does that have to do with spaming missiles?

Has to do with being alive long enough to make use of a target lock. Unlike Rebels, Scum cannot share Locks outside of Coordinate (either via Squad Leader or the Escape Craft). 4hp protected by 3 green has a slightly better chance of making use of a Lock than 4hp protected by 2 green...

The Scyk base chassis is definitely erring on the overpriced side, but I assume it's because a Scyk with Ion Cannon is 34 points: conspicuously 1 point more than being able to fit 6 in a list, just like a plethora of other 3 attack die ships. Of course an ion cannon isn't quite as good as a 3 attack primary but I'd be surprised if the pricing wasn't related to the devs being wary - at least initially - of opening that door, especially since massed Ion control can be decidedly unfun to play against.

I agree that they definitely seem like ships that didn't get a lot of design time love during the 2.0 transition but TBH there's a lot of other ships in the same boat that didn't receive any ship abilities, linked actions or otherwise. At least with scyks they have the potential to become interesting down the road when other cannons and munitions might be available.

I like that Genesis Red locking your own Palob thing though... I like that a lot :)

Edited by punkUser