DakkaDakka12

So if theres an app now. Why do we need cards?

I can’t fully grasp why we need cards if they have an app?

If they dropped cards they could easily change ship stats by changing stats in the app.

They wouldn’t need to play it safe with ships and upgrades with worrying about making something that breaks the game and they would probably make the same or similar money with feature creep that inevitably happens but now  they would be able to dial it down.

4 minutes ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

If they dropped cards they could easily change ship stats by changing stats in the app.

They wouldn’t need to play it safe with ships and upgrades with worrying about making something that breaks the game and they would probably make the same or similar money with feature creep that inevitably happens but now  they would be able to dial it down.

Consumer demand. Allot of people prefer to have it there on the table and able to handled. Also isn't dependent on wi-fi or other connection type not glitching out.

I suppose so. But I feel like it is inevitable that somewhere something will break 2.0 and when they have to make 3.0 they will lose a lot of money.

Reprinting old models does not bring money from most veteran players. If they are casual they might not even use cards. And if they are tournament players theres trading, event cards, and of course the internet.

its not like they can come up with too many more factions that people will care about.

13 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Profit, basically. You get a lot of material value with the cards and everything. Little galleries of art, great for collectors.

If it was just models..? That's it. Everything else is disposable, meaningless.

Thats just it I don’t know about you but I threw away everything from 1.0 cept for ships, some tokens the conversion kits did not hand out enough of(with plans to throw them away when I do have more 2.0 tokens) and I kept tournament cards.

Everything cept the models was meaningless in the switch.

Edited by DakkaDakka12

53 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I'd be lost without the cards. They're great for quick reference for abilities and allows me to save the battery on my phone.

I print out my list. It does use a bit of paper, but I’ve shared upgrade cards with a friend to avoid buying non-scum ships in 1.0 and we rarely used the same upgrade cards other than veteran instincts.

I  do see both of your points, and I am disappointed that it boils down to FFG making money off of cardboard.

2 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Why bother with ships at all?

Why not go digital?

I'm only half joking.

You don't play a miniatures game with real people using digital aides. It's not the same experience. Not for me anyway.

1 hour ago, gadwag said:

If FFG don't make money, the game ends. The only thing keeping them printing new ships and Organised Play kits is hefty profits

To further expand on this line of thinking, FFG probably has a revenue and profit target below which the game is no longer worthwhile to them. Ship prices are set to ensure they meet/exceed this target taking into account that players will often buy ships they don't want for cards. 

If FFG changed this model (let's say to requiring you build the list through the app and print it out), they will overall sell less product, as people will largely buy only stuff they intend to play, so, in order to meet their revenue and profit goals for X-wing, they would need to increase the individual ship prices. 

3 hours ago, LordBlades said:

They aren't charging you for the app. They are however charging you for the cards. We don't need the cards, FFG does. 

Exactly, the alternative is a monthly subscription fee for use of the App or paid online "Expansions", I would not want to go there. 

5 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

I know in 1.0 Alt Art Pilot cards were a big draw for some players. You just had to look on eBay and there were always a lot there. 

Digital Alt Art cards just dont have the same appeal. 

After playing a few Age of Sigmar games against players who wouldn't bring a rulebook, but rather went with the "I can do that, you can just check the app if you don't believe me", which often turned into "okay, whoops, I got it wrong it seems", I really don't want to play another complicated game that primarily uses a 5"ish screen as a primary rules lookup tool. Having the cards laid out is infinitely more practical.

5 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Why even have actual miniatures?  All you actually need is the base... that's where all the necessary data is measured to/from.

7 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Because they took all the stats off the ship tokens and removing the cards would then require consulting the app every time you needed to confirm some stat. Game information in a tabletop game needs to be on the tabletop. The app and new method for points and upgrade slots has already made it so I can't tell if my opponent's list is legal by taking upgrade slots and points off the cards.

Edited by Frimmel

11 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Profit, basically.

And a lot more than this.

Having the cards on each side of the board means either player can take a look and know exactly what is on the board and, if needed, can read a card to know exactly what it does.  This is quite different from a tabletop wargame where players have long lists of units all with a variety of abilities, each of which requires referencing texts to see what they do.

Also, the cards help the tokens track game state.  Since things like shield tokens, force tokens, and charge tokens are placed on the cards, it gives an organized physical space to clearly track these varying resources via the tokens. 

Also, back in 1.0 when cards could be discarded after use, you needed to be able to flip the card over.  So cards made even more sense in 1.0, setting the precedence for the game that we have now.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

2 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

And a lot more than this.

<snip of really good points>

You have a really good point about this, physical cards do allow you to track physical state, upgrades, etc., much easier than trying to do it from a squad sheet, however it doesn't explain why they don't have an official online card database where you can print out the official up-to-date cards for free*

*well, your own time, printer ink and paper have a cost

10 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Profit, basically.

This does explain it, however.

5 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Why even have actual miniatures?

Because it's not called X-Wing Cardboard Tokens.

the pre-painted miniatures are a big draw for the game.

3 hours ago, Frimmel said:

Because they took all the stats off the ship tokens and removing the cards would then require consulting the app every time you needed to confirm some stat. Game information in a tabletop game needs to be on the tabletop. The app and new method for points and upgrade slots has already made it so I can't tell if my opponent's list is legal by taking upgrade slots and points off the cards.

And, it is also what opens the door to "why have cards."  Since the cards do not contain all the information needed to play the game beginning to end, it just points out that they are not really all that necessary.

If FFG would stop tying the cards to the release of a miniature, it could also open up a lot of possibilities for "The Blue Squadron X-Wing Card Pack," "The Ordnance Booster Pack," and reprinting the errata on the cards to negate the need for PDFs, FAQs, and a really lame app.

I would be more interested in buying the "2019 Errata Booster" (maybe with alt art to differentiate the old cards from the new and a new pilot thrown in to boost sales) than chasing down another PDF.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Many players can't even keep track of there abilities with the cards, let alone there opponents. I don't want to imagine how it would be if everybody had to constantly cheek there phone for all triggers, especially not on tournaments, when everybody's battery dies during game 3.    

Edited by Duskwalker