Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Are Republic and C.I.S. conversion kits a possibility for Wave 3?

I personally think selling a conversion kit for a new faction without existing products doesn't make a lot of sense from a business stand point. It's confusing product for new players and one of those annoying 'limited value' additional purchases for existing players.

I think the best option would be to include extra cardboard in the republic and CIS version of the expacks when they are released in anticipation of existing players converting old models. For example the republic ARC-170 expack could have 2 ships worth of cardboard for converting a rebel ARC model. That seems like the easiest option for a pseudo conversion.

That being said, I think even that is unfeasible as they would need to add that for no additional cost for the consumer. Which is a double edged blade as if they charge extra for the additional cardboard they most likely won't sell as well. If they do add it for free players will ask why they couldn't get that treatment for other expacks, shooting themselves in the foot.

Now speaking to the ships in question; the ARC and the Slave 1 are really the only 2 ships that could be released as is with a repaint. The sheathipede could probably fall into this slot too. The clone Z95 looks different as it was a specific model specially made for the Grand Army. The BTL-B Y-wings are also visually different and I think a lot of people would be disappointed (I certainly would be) if we didn't get re-sculpts of these ships to suit the new faction. I think if FFG have removed Nym from the rebels faction, its unlikely they will give him to the republic, and as the Scurrg was a prototype that Nym stole, it needs to be him in the ship. Asajj's Banshee is another ship that looks very different to its existing counterpart and is deserving of a re-sculpt. 

Honestly I think FFG will try to make these 2 factions feel as new and unique as possible, and converting a bunch of old ships goes against that notion. We all know that the Y-wing and the ARC are givens for the Republic, but I wouldn't bet on the rest being converted into in the new factions.

Having Republic and CIS conversion kits may seem like "Double Dipping" a little too much.

Since they did a Starter Box for Force Awakens, it's possible the Republic/CIS follows the same model.

Have a new "Core" with 1 Jedi Interceptor versus 2 Vulture Droids

Wave 1 then becomes:

Republic
1 Small Ship - Jedi Interceptor
1 Small Ship - V-wing maybe?
1 Small or Medium Ship - ARC-170 (For no other reason to create an ARC-170 with a Medium base slot)
1 Large Ship - Republic Gunship

CIS

1 Small Ship - Vulture Droid
1 Small Ship - Sheathipede Shuttle (Since they have the mold already) or possibly the CIS Heavy Figther (Grevious' Fighter in RoTS)
1 Small or Medium Ship - HMP Droid Gunship or some variation of Vulture bomber or the previous heavy fighter
1 Medium or Large Ship - Sith Infiltrator

Here's the thing, I'm not sure they'll add ships to the Scum faction to differentiate "Clone Wars Scum".   I'm not sure they want to bloat the scum faction relative to the other factions.  First Wave of 2.0 (Including the TIE reaper and Saw's Renegades) was 3 Rebel Ships, 3 Imperial Ships, and 3 Scum ships.  I could see them doing a 4 republic and 4 CIS models.

It's possible that when it comes time to go back to the Scum faction, they'll release Clone Wars era ships.  However, unless FFG is told to produce specific models by Disney, I don't see that happening any time soon.

28 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

The fact that the Jedi Starfighter they showed off on the Star Wars show was painted up as Anakin's version also lends credence to the fact that they might release a PT era Core Set too. Or if FFG Wanted to be really nice I guess they could do a most wanted sort of faction starter for both factions with a 3 ship pack but the PT Core Set + Expansions seems more likely. 

Well there is a problem with the Most Wanted release and that is those that do not have the 1st edition ships will have extra cardboard they can't do anything with and those that do will have extra models.  The point of the conversion kits is I have the models but not the cardboard for that faction. If there were ships already out for 2nd edition that was used by Clone Wars faction then I can see Most Wanted pack becoming more viable. 

13 minutes ago, Raithnor said:

Having Republic and CIS conversion kits may seem like "Double Dipping" a little too much.

Since they did a Starter Box for Force Awakens, it's possible the Republic/CIS follows the same model.

Have a new "Core" with 1 Jedi Interceptor versus 2 Vulture Droids

Wave 1 then becomes:

Republic
1 Small Ship - Jedi Interceptor
1 Small Ship - V-wing maybe?
1 Small or Medium Ship - ARC-170 (For no other reason to create an ARC-170 with a Medium base slot)
1 Large Ship - Republic Gunship

CIS

1 Small Ship - Vulture Droid
1 Small Ship - Sheathipede Shuttle (Since they have the mold already) or possibly the CIS Heavy Figther (Grevious' Fighter in RoTS)
1 Small or Medium Ship - HMP Droid Gunship or some variation of Vulture bomber or the previous heavy fighter
1 Medium or Large Ship - Sith Infiltrator

Here's the thing, I'm not sure they'll add ships to the Scum faction to differentiate "Clone Wars Scum".   I'm not sure they want to bloat the scum faction relative to the other factions.  First Wave of 2.0 (Including the TIE reaper and Saw's Renegades) was 3 Rebel Ships, 3 Imperial Ships, and 3 Scum ships.  I could see them doing a 4 republic and 4 CIS models.

It's possible that when it comes time to go back to the Scum faction, they'll release Clone Wars era ships.  However, unless FFG is told to produce specific models by Disney, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Maybe, but then again the TFA Core didn't add new factions (on a game mechanic level).  I don't think there is going to be much of a difference from Clone Wars Scum any more than there is a difference between TFA scum. Scum is in that wired position where it can span all 3 eras. However I think that there can be a difference between factions for ships used by scum and used by other factions. So a C.I.S. Firespray will be different as a S&V Firespray. But you are right, conversion kits have to go through licensing approval although it does look like Disney has given FFG a general blessing for X-wing miniatures. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Never heard of a T-75 X-Wing or an MG-117.

Gah, I got my numbers all mixed up. Thanks for the catch.

Since some people have mentioned that the Sheathipede mold is the same I'm gonna throw these two up from the art reference from Rebels.

CIS era Sheathipede

306-bts-gallery-reb_ca_1825_l_349de9d9.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C1248

Phantom 2 custom Sheathipede

reb_ca_1846_6e7d7c8a.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C814

Notable differences being the lack of the back bits on the engines, it lacks the rear guns, the tail is longer, the front lacks visible laser cannons, the lack of a astromech slot, and the antenna slot on its front. 

And that is if they go based off the animation model instead of the film version which has a notably different cockpit. 

Related image

21 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Well there is a problem with the Most Wanted release and that is those that do not have the 1st edition ships will have extra cardboard they can't do anything with and those that do will have extra models.  The point of the conversion kits is I have the models but not the cardboard for that faction. If there were ships already out for 2nd edition that was used by Clone Wars faction then I can see Most Wanted pack becoming more viable. 

I don't mean in a sense of them converting anything, just faction starter kits with ships to help jump start the factions. 

Edited by Animewarsdude

8 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I don't mean in a sense of them converting anything, just faction starter kits with ships to help jump start the factions. 

It would be nice. I mean that is exactly what Wizkids has done with their game Attack Wing. :unsure:I still think it would have been better as an Armada game.

hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg

Anyways I am just looking for solutions to the inherent problem the new factions have and that is the lack of ship options for a faction which is a general problem for all factions when 2nd edition format is considered. The difference is for the 2 new factions that problem transfers over to Extended format and Hyperspace by default. Conversion Kits seem to be FFG's answer which is different from Wizkids solution. I'd figure FFG will stick to what they have been doing. I mean it is possible for FFG to make Faction/Era Core sets as well. I realize the conversion kits is unlikely, but is it impossible?

Edited by Marinealver

I suspect that we’ll see some sort of cardboard only pack to let people with with the relevant models play the factions, but also, either in the initial release or later, the expansion packs for those ships will have new paint jobs, or even sculpts if warranted, encouraging people who want to play the factions to get more models, even if they don’t “have” to. 

13 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

306-bts-gallery-reb_ca_1825_l_349de9d9.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C1248

reb_ca_1846_6e7d7c8a.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C814

Considering that Resistance used a mostly redressed Phantom 2 as a Sheathipede by some pirates if they were to reuse the model I think it would be giving the ship to scum.

hallion-ship.jpg

Edited by Animewarsdude

2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Considering that Resistance used a mostly redressed Phantom 2 as a Sheathipede by some pirates if they were to reuse the model I think it would be giving the ship to scum.

hallion-ship.jpg

But even then, it’s not quite the same ship. Based on the episode, this one is much smaller than previous iterations, with the cockpit sized for one and no obvious passenger section as opposed to the connected passenger section and cockpit of say the Phantom II, which could hold a pilot and a co-pilot sitting side by side. 

I don't think it's necessarily smaller but it's definitely got a different aft side. Additional engines.

Might be fair to say this is either more of a personal craft not meant for transporting other people, or it might be a small cargo craft. Looks like there'd still be an access panel to a rear cargo chamber at the back there.

I have to agree that the inside of the cockpit also appears like it stops right where the hull raises up.

1095748775_sheathipedescreen.JPG.60261671cecc63db84d959379d5d36e6.JPG

Wouldn't Jango still be scum? He's worked for the Republic (in a big way), but also as a gun for hire for the Sith. It seems better to just let him be an independant. 

I do like that we're getting an embedded sith faction within the CIS main faction coming out.

1 minute ago, BDrafty said:

Wouldn't Jango still be scum? He's worked for the Republic (in a big way), but also as a gun for hire for the Sith. It seems better to just let him be an independant. 

I do like that we're getting an embedded sith faction within the CIS main faction coming out.

One argument is that we don't think they'd release the Firespray-31 for the same faction twice. While he did technically work for the Republic it wasn't exactly in a public way and the main times we see him fighting are on the side of the CIS.

5 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

One argument is that we don't think they'd release the Firespray-31 for the same faction twice. While he did technically work for the Republic it wasn't exactly in a public way and the main times we see him fighting are on the side of the CIS.

But, would they release the spray again for just one pilot (who else flies that ship for the CIS)?

The answer is: yes. For money.

They could release Jango's blue Slave-1 with a different Slave-1 title, CIS Jango, Scum Jango and other scum pilots that flew it in TCW. Or even without CIS Jango because muh faction identity. Releasing the same ship twice is not really an alien concept, it'd be no different to aces pack, maybe they won't do it straight away, but I'm sure it will happen somewhere down the line, just like a Blue Squadron X-wing.

1 hour ago, BDrafty said:

But, would they release the spray again for just one pilot (who else flies that ship for the CIS)?

The answer is: yes. For money.

Even if it was brief and not exactly related to CIS, they could put kid Boba and Aurra Sing in there, and maybe Hondo. Oovo IV Prison Guards could be a generic pilot (maybe give them a better name).

The more I type about it, the more I wish all these pilots had just been in the Scum release.

4 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

As long as it has a non-limited generic I'm game. Sucks having to rely on Squad Leader for Coordinate (red...) actions if your running No Glory.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:06 AM, CaptainIxidor said:

Even if it was brief and not exactly related to CIS, they could put kid Boba and Aurra Sing in there, and maybe Hondo. Oovo IV Prison Guards could be a generic pilot (maybe give them a better name).

The more I type about it, the more I wish all these pilots had just been in the Scum release.

Well Scum has always been the Catch-all faction since its conception. Heck that was one of the main reasons why Scum was made because there was a lot of ships that didn't really fit with either Rebels or Empire (although I am sure you can easily assign a light/dark side to everything Star Wars).

Some other things I have been thinking is though the models can be used for the factions as a clone war era ship how would some ships cross over.

Example Republic Armored Y-wing.

These are Y-wings but have 0 Agility, instead they have a ship ability.

• Armored Plating When ever you take damage from an attack cancel 1 damage result to a minimum of 1 result.

So basically they forgo agility for a permanent reinforce. You can also give them the 1st edition Y-wing dial (only 1&2 straight are blue) to reflect the bulky and heavy armor plating they have. That could be another thread in itself. The Y-wing could be included but much like the Z-95 when it is released we can expect a diffrent sculpt for Republic Y-wing. I might add them in with an * or a ?.

17 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

(although I am sure you can easily assign a light/dark side to everything Star Wars)

Other than Scum, as a faction we're Grey... :) Some are nice, some are sadistic, some are sociopaths, some are Robin Hoods, some just want to watch the galaxy burn...

On 10/29/2018 at 2:02 PM, theBitterFig said:

Sheathipede makes sense, Firespray for Jango works out of necessity, but any 3rd ship is a stretch.  Lancer for the association with Asajj Ventress is one option, the other is the YV-666, since Moralo Eval worked a bunch for Palpatine in his plans.  But both are represented for their action at those times in the same ships in the Scum faction.  I mean, it'd make more sense for Jango to just be Scum, like how it always felt odd that Boba Fett was ever an Imperial pilot.

But if I'm creating a kit, Lancer is what I'd rather have, since I think it's more of an oddball ship which currently is in worse shape.

I feel the same way about YV-666. It seems better as Scum. As for the Y-wing I am reluctant to put that in because I expect FFG to make a Republic Y-wing sculpt if not at Wave 3 then soon after, even though the same could be said about the Republic Z-95. However it is like the YT-1300 which has 3 different models for the 3 different factions but the models are almost interchangeable as long as the base tiles and cards and dials match.

See it is already done ;)

Republic-CIS-conversion.png

:P

Well if you cant tell this is my miserable attempt at using Gimp 2 and MS Paint (the discontinued one) to make imaging edits. I am sure someone with more competence can make a better ruse. But for a conversion kit they will be closer to the 2nd Wave ones than the launch ones.