Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Are Republic and C.I.S. conversion kits a possibility for Wave 3?

So in another thread discussing the release schedule of the 2 original factions Wave 3 and the clone war era factions came up frequently. One of the this that was discussed was ships that were already released in extended that could canonically be used by the Clone Wars Era Factions. 

So far these are the ships that came up with this discussion.

Republic Conversion Kit

• ARC-170
  • Z-95
  • H6 Scurrg

? Y-wing*

C.I.S. Conversion Kit

• Firespray-31 (Jango Fet)
  • Lancer Pursuit Craft (Ventress)
  • Shethapead Class Shuttle

? YV-666

It is possible as it gives those factions additional options in for Extended and models that are already existing can be easily added into the game. It would be better for a faction to have 4 to 5 ships as a start instead of 1 or 2. These will likely be given the Resistance and 1stOrder price range since those don't that many more ships.

Resistance

• T-70 X-Wing
  • YT-1300 (Salvaged)
  • B/SF-17 Bomber

1stOrder

• TIE/FO
  • TIE/SF
  • Upsilon Shuttle
  • TIE Reaper 
Edited by Marinealver
added ships

I'd say the Sheatipede Class Shuttle over the Lancer since Ventress used the later after she left the CIS by some time. Also I could just imagine the people complaining about the lack of content and the price to do that when some people are upset about about the Resistance and FO conversion kits. 

5 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I'd say the Sheatipede Class Shuttle over the Lancer since Ventress used the later after she left the CIS by some time. Also I could just imagine the people complaining about the lack of content and the price to do that when some people are upset about about the Resistance and FO conversion kits. 

Well that is the complaint of conversion kits in general, so no real difference there. Sheatipede Shuttle could be an interesting addition to Clone Wars. After all FFG already made the model, and it was used during the Clone Wars, then it is a candidate to be added into a conversion kit and extended format.

I am rather dubious that they will do this, but there are certainly ships it could work for.

Republic: The ARC can be pretty directly converted over. The Z-95 is a little weird as while they did use it in the Clone Wars, it is visually different than the standard Z we already have. It might be interesting if they have slightly different stats, much like the Y-Wing.

CIS: The front runner for this is the Sheathipede. It's a shuttle used quite a bit in the Clone Wars, this has more basis to be in a converter than anything else. The Firespray is tricky as it depends on how desperate FFG is for ships and pilots for the CIS. If they are desperate, then yeah, I could see it. If not, I'd say keep the Firespray out of there as even Jango Fett seems to fit Scum better than the CIS. Definitely no on the Lancer. Yes, Ventress should be in the CIS, but it seems that she didn't get her Lancer (The Banshee) until after she left the CIS. It would be more in keeping with lore to have Ventress be in a Ginivex-Class Fanblade Fighter for her CIS version than a Lancer.

Edited by SabineKey

2 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

I am rather dubious that they will do this, but there are certainly ships it could work for.

Republic: The ARC can be pretty directly converted over. The Z-95 is a little weird as while they did use it in the Clone Wars, it is visually different than the standard Z we already have. It might be interesting if they have slightly different stats, much like the Y-Wing.

CIS: The front runner for this is the Sheathipede. It's a shuttle used quite a bit in the Clone Wars, this has more basis to be in a converter than anything else. The Firespray is tricky as it depends on how desperate FFG is for ships and pilots for the CIS. If they are desperate, then yeah, I could see it. If not, I'd say keep the Firespray out of there as even Jango Fett seems to fit Scum better than the CIS. Definitely no on the Lancer. Yes, Ventress should be in the CIS, but it seems that she didn't get her Lancer (The Banshee) until after she left the CIS. It would be more in keeping with lore to have Ventress be in a Ginivex-Class Fanblade Fighter for her CIS version than a Lancer.

Yeah, the transition isn't as obvious as it is with 1st Order and Resistance as those factions already existed. Republic and C.I.S. conversion kits would be closer to the Wave 6 Most Wanted Expansion than the 2nd edition conversion kits bringing already released ships into a new faction. 

FFG might not be desperate for pilots, but those that want to play the clone war factions sure would be (just like the Resistance and 1st Order). I mean I would pick them up but then again I get one of everything so it really doesn't mean much when I say what I like or don't like.

I don't think it seems likely, but it's not a bad idea.  Make *one* Clone Wars era conversion kit, which could convert 2 Lancers (which is a little odd, since Asajj didn't use one until well after leaving Dooku, but I can't think of anything else good), 2 ARCs, 2 Firesprays, 4 Z-95, 2 Sheathipedes, 2 Y-Wings.  In terms of base-sizes and dials, it'd probably work out to a $30 dollar box like a Resistance or First Order kit.

Mostly, it'd be a reasonable way to bundle up and release a lot of crew and gunner and astromech upgrades. Something the conversion kits did well was add a lot of major OT and Rebels-series characters into the game.  Not having to wait a few waves for the right ship for Count Dooku or Captain Rex or so forth would be nice.

Edited by theBitterFig

18 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Adding Sheathipede to the list I can agree with, not including the Lancer I'm iffy on. It would end up coming down to when it was produced, and if the people who used it were dedicated to the CIS, not just when Assaj picked up Banshee (which doesn't exist in game at all right now). I used Assaj as the example since she was part of both factions. As for the pricing... Some people don't seem to understand the logistical requirements involved and what it costs to meet those requirements. Pricing is allot more than just a company saying "Hey, lets charge this much", especially when physical items are involved and not code (though that has some hefty logistical costs as well).

13 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

If they dont put the scum and rebel ywing in one box, why should they do this?

:huh: I'm not following your logic. This statement reinforces the argument of conversion kits instead of against. You said that they didn't make a 2nd edition expansion a dual faction expansion, so if you want to play Scum Y-wings then you will need the conversion kit and play in extended format until a S&V Y-wing expansion for second edition is released. 

Conversion kits are not for multi-faction models, they are to make 1st edition models playable in 2nd edition. Now the difference here is that the conversion kits were from 1st edition subfaction to 2nd editions factions. In this example these are converting 1st edition models into 2nd edition factions that did not exist in 1st edition even as a sub faction. However it can be argued that the starfighters/spaceships the models represented was canonically used by those faction.

4 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

The Lancer-class makes no sense for CIS. There are no canon or legends stories where the CIS used this. We can find other ships to fit without shoehorning one in (just not one that makes sense for a speculative CIS converison kit).

Examples?

11 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

The Lancer-class makes no sense for CIS. There are no canon or legends stories where the CIS used this. We can find other ships to fit without shoehorning one in (just not one that makes sense for a speculative CIS converison kit).

It was used in the clone wars, just not exclusively by the C.I.S. so you have a valid argument there. However if we want to get seriously technical the Sith Infiltrator was not a C.I.S. ship at all and yet in X-wing 2nd edition FFG has placed it in the C.I.S. faction. 

I do agree that ships should not be shoehorned into a conversion kit. That is why for a ship to be in the conversion kit it has to meat criteria of at least 2 requirements.

1. The model was released for X-wing 1st edition.
  2. The ship was used during the Clone Wars by a character affiliated with the Clone War Era Factions (Republic, C.I.S.).

If a model doesn't meet those 2 requirements, it should not be in the conversion kit. So now the bigger question is, with the ships that we have would that be enough to justify the conversion kit. So far we got 2 kits roughly the same size as the Resistance Conversion kit.

Edited by Marinealver

Just now, CaptainIxidor said:

As I said, not ones that can fit into the conversion kit. That's not a good reason to force a ship in.

1 minute ago, Marinealver said:

It was used in the clone wars, just not exclusively by the C.I.S. so you have a valid argument there. However if we want to get seriously technical the Sith Infiltrator was not a C.I.S. ship at all and yet in X-wing 2nd edition FFG has placed it in the C.I.S. faction. 

I do agree that ships should not be shoehorned into a conversion kit. That is why for a ship to be in the conversion kit it has to meat criteria of at least 2 requirements.

2. The ship was used during the Clone Wars by a character affiliated with the Clone War Era Factions (Republic, C.I.S.).

If a model doesn't meet those 2 requirements, it should not be in the conversion kit. So now the bigger question is, with the ships that we have would that be enough to justify the conversion kit. So far we got 2 kits roughly the same size as the Resistance Conversion kit.

17 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

:huh: I'm not following your logic. This statement reinforces the argument of conversion kits instead of against. You said that they didn't make a 2nd edition expansion a dual faction expansion, so if you want to play Scum Y-wings then you will need the conversion kit and play in extended format until a S&V Y-wing expansion for second edition is released. 

Conversion kits are not for multi-faction models, they are to make 1st edition models playable in 2nd edition. Now the difference here is that the conversion kits were from 1st edition subfaction to 2nd editions factions. In this example these are converting 1st edition models into 2nd edition factions that did not exist in 1st edition even as a sub faction. However it can be argued that the starfighters/spaceships the models represented was canonically used by those faction.

I mean the old ywing box was not dual faction. There was a scum ywing and a rebel ywing. Same for z95. I assume, I just started with 2.0. So scum and rebel conversion kits have it. If they were nice enough to make a cis or republic conversion kit, they would have been nice enough to put all ywing versions in one box, scum and rebel, so a new player like me doesnt have to hunt down a scum set or buy yet another ywing when it releases for scum.

2 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

There was a scum ywing and a rebel ywing. Same for z95.

Nope and Noper. Scum only had access to Y-Wings and Z-95s via the Most Wanted expansion pack. No single ship blisters for Scum Y-Wing and Z-95 in 1.0. Now the Most Wanted expansion box did come with 1 Y-Wing and 2 Z-95's plus the cardboard and plastic to 'convert' the same number of Rebel versions, but it was still a 30$ - 40$ proposition to get those 3 ships.

Sheathipede makes sense, Firespray for Jango works out of necessity, but any 3rd ship is a stretch.  Lancer for the association with Asajj Ventress is one option, the other is the YV-666, since Moralo Eval worked a bunch for Palpatine in his plans.  But both are represented for their action at those times in the same ships in the Scum faction.  I mean, it'd make more sense for Jango to just be Scum, like how it always felt odd that Boba Fett was ever an Imperial pilot.

But if I'm creating a kit, Lancer is what I'd rather have, since I think it's more of an oddball ship which currently is in worse shape.

2 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

I mean the old ywing box was not dual faction. There was a scum ywing and a rebel ywing. Same for z95. I assume, I just started with 2.0. So scum and rebel conversion kits have it. If they were nice enough to make a cis or republic conversion kit, they would have been nice enough to put all ywing versions in one box, scum and rebel, so a new player like me doesnt have to hunt down a scum set or buy yet another ywing when it releases for scum.

Well yeah the old Y-wing box was not dual faction because the S&V faction did not exist. The most wanted Expansion had a single Y-wing but enough components (dials, cards, base tiles) for 2. You can use 1st Edition Rebel Y-wings with the Scum Conversion kit. That is what the scum conversion kit is for. You are talking about Why FFG doesn't release multi-faction expansions, which is a good question, but slightly off on a tangent. My guess is a Y-wing expansion for the Scum & Villainy faction will be released for 2nd edition at a later wave, since the common take on FFG's general plan is that every ship in the conversion kit will eventually have its own expansion for 2nd edition.

11 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Adding Sheathipede to the list I can agree with, not including the Lancer I'm iffy on. It would end up coming down to when it was produced, and if the people who used it were dedicated to the CIS, not just when Assaj picked up Banshee (which doesn't exist in game at all right now). I used Assaj as the example since she was part of both factions. As for the pricing... Some people don't seem to understand the logistical requirements involved and what it costs to meet those requirements. Pricing is allot more than just a company saying "Hey, lets charge this much", especially when physical items are involved and not code (though that has some hefty logistical costs as well).

Assaj's Lancer card features art of the Banshee. The ship was created for the 2 4 episode story arc involving her and Quinlin Voss but the show was cancelled so it was made into a book, Filoni then had the Banshee's design revised to become the Lancer which was later used in Rebels. As for those who have flown it the only ones we have are Sabine and Ketsu Onyo from the 2 Rebels episodes it shows up in, as well as the Insider story of them working together in the past and finally Assaj flying it during the book adaption of her arc with Voss. Two of the pilots are firmly in the OT era and working for the Black Sun while the other was working as a lone individual that has issues with the CIS after they tried to kill her and was working as a bounty hunter. 

9 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

I think the difference is that the Lancer was used by people not aligned with the CIS at all while Maul when using the ship was Palpatine's apprentice and was helping the Trade Federation which later became a part of the CIS. 

6 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Sheathipede makes sense, Firespray for Jango works out of necessity, but any 3rd ship is a stretch.  Lancer for the association with Asajj Ventress is one option, the other is the YV-666, since Moralo Eval worked a bunch for Palpatine in his plans.  But both are represented for their action at those times in the same ships in the Scum faction.  I mean, it'd make more sense for Jango to just be Scum, like how it always felt odd that Boba Fett was ever an Imperial pilot.

But if I'm creating a kit, Lancer is what I'd rather have, since I think it's more of an oddball ship which currently is in worse shape.

Yeah the YV-666 might be where I draw the line. As I said in discussion criteria for being considered for inclusion in the conversion kits.

20 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Now you did mentioned a character affiliated so it can be argued that it meets requirement 2. That would give us 1 kit with 3 ships and 1 kit with 4 ships (the same as the Wave 2 conversion kits). Still I would say it seems a little too lose for general comfort. I wouldn't complain if FFG decided to include it in the C.I.S. conversion kit, but I wouldn't complain if it wasn't.

Edited by Marinealver

There's stuff there for a conversion kit, but it seems very unlikely.

CIS getting a Lancer is just not gonna happen. we don't have any content that suggests the ship was ever used by them.

Z-95's used by the clones have some definite differences from what we see in the rebel and scum version. Mostly just the wings, but you can bet that people will notice if FFG doesn't do a new sculpt for those. even though the difference is less pronounced on this ship, I imagine it's this line of thinking that kept the Y-wing off the initial post.

The Firespray I personally think will be added to CIS eventually, but we'll see an expac for that with a new paint job when it happens. Boba is tearing up early 2nd ed. so I'm sure FFG and the community at large would rather leave the Firespray alone for now at least.

The Scurrg probably wont be added to any other factions. they took Nym away from the Rebels so the Republic probably wont get him either.

And now we're down to the two ships that will 100% be in these factions...eventually. The ARC-170 and Sheathipede will for sure be added, but when they get added will probably be after the first wave of clone wars content. These two only need some changes to their paint to be ready for the clone wars, but that's just two ships that aren't even on the same faction. It just doesn't feel like enough content, even if they put them both in the same kit.

Then there's the fact that FFG hasn't released models with era appropriate paint apps for any of these. Of course people can just paint their own stuff, but not everyone who plays X-wing is comfortable altering their mini's on their own.

This is all wild speculation of course, but I fully expect there to be no conversion kits for either faction since I just don't see enough content that's ready to go for either faction. Kits made perfect sense for the first 5 factions, because every ship was categorized into one of those 5 distinct factions. It seems like FFG has probably decided ships from 1st ed can be converted into the 5 factions that existed in 1st ed, but nothing will be converted to the two clone wars factions. 

55 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Z-95's used by the clones have some definite differences from what we see in the rebel and scum version. Mostly just the wings, but you can bet that people will notice if FFG doesn't do a new sculpt for those. even though the difference is less pronounced on this ship, I imagine it's this line of thinking that kept the Y-wing off the initial post.

The way I see it the Z-95 the Clones use and the BTL-B Y-Wing are different variants of the ship and will be unique to the Republic faction much like how the YT-1300 has three different versions which are different between the factions. 

56 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

The Firespray I personally think will be added to CIS eventually, but we'll see an expac for that with a new paint job when it happens. Boba is tearing up early 2nd ed. so I'm sure FFG and the community at large would rather leave the Firespray alone for now at least.

I agree, the Firespray might be brought on over, just due to the CIS not having alot of larger ships. That or we will end up seeing it just get a new rerelease in Jango colors and have it where they add Jango, Aura Sing, and Hondo to the ship as its pilots. At that point I guess the firespray would be the Scum's mainline ship like how the T-65, T-70, and Tie Fighter all have lots of pilot options.

59 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

And now we're down to the two ships that will 100% be in these factions...eventually. The ARC-170 and Sheathipede will for sure be added, but when they get added will probably be after the first wave of clone wars content. These two only need some changes to their paint to be ready for the clone wars, but that's just two ships that aren't even on the same faction. It just doesn't feel like enough content, even if they put them both in the same kit.

The ARC-170 will just get a new paintjob and will be a done deal, the Sheathipede will likely get a new sculpt. I don't think the CIS version even had the rear guns on it.

phantom_ii_shuttle_schematics___star_wars_rebels_by_ravendeviant-dciphxt.jpgImage result for star wars sheathipede-class transport shuttle

1 hour ago, Hippie Moosen said:

This is all wild speculation of course, but I fully expect there to be no conversion kits for either faction since I just don't see enough content that's ready to go for either faction. Kits made perfect sense for the first 5 factions, because every ship was categorized into one of those 5 distinct factions. It seems like FFG has probably decided ships from 1st ed can be converted into the 5 factions that existed in 1st ed, but nothing will be converted to the two clone wars factions. 

The fact that the Jedi Starfighter they showed off on the Star Wars show was painted up as Anakin's version also lends credence to the fact that they might release a PT era Core Set too. Or if FFG Wanted to be really nice I guess they could do a most wanted sort of faction starter for both factions with a 3 ship pack but the PT Core Set + Expansions seems more likely.