Sign in to follow this  
Musical Xeno

GSP Quick Tips: Reinforce...Are you doing it right?

In the book it says it "cancels damage" but doesn't use the dice result icons, but according to this vid it's adding an evade. Which is correct?

How does that interact with weapons that do more than just damage, such as ion cannons or tractor beams, and can that evade result be interacted with by either player?

6 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

It definitely doesn't add an Evade result. Maybe they're using that as a bad example of "basically it's function."

RR p13
"During the Neutralize Results step, if the attack would hit and there is more
than one [hit]/[crit] result remaining, one [evade] result is added to cancel one result."

The issue is confusion comes from this: the basic rulebook explains Reinforce one way, but the rules reference does it another way.  BRB gets the sense of it.  You'll reduce the damage taken by 1 to a minimum of 1.  The RR is more complicated than the BRB (quoted by @jagsba above), but it provides the technical underpinning for how it functions.  The two are identical in function, but the quick descriptors sound different enough.

2 hours ago, MrRip said:

In the book it says it "cancels damage" but doesn't use the dice result icons, but according to this vid it's adding an evade. Which is correct?

How does that interact with weapons that do more than just damage, such as ion cannons or tractor beams, and can that evade result be interacted with by either player?

Given the RR definition, after an attack hits, if there are more than one hit result remaining, you'll add 1 evade result.  As such, it'll prevent one ion token or tractor token or such from one of those weapons.  The evade result is added during the Neutralize Results step, which is long after the window for the attacker to modify the defender's dice, or even the window for Crack Shot (which is immediately before the Neutralize Results step).

Edited by theBitterFig

2 hours ago, jagsba said:

RR p2

"If a rule in this guide contradicts the Rulebook, the rule in this guide takes precedence."

I mean, sure.  But that's kinda unhelpful here.

The issue isn't a contradiction in the rules--the RR just provides the technical underpinning for a mechanic which works in a functionally identical way to the BRB mechanic--but that folks are confused by different-sounding explanations.  I ought to have worded my original post better.

Edited by theBitterFig

3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

The issue is confusion comes from this: the basic rulebook explains Reinforce one way, but the rules reference does it another way.  BRB gets the sense of it.  You'll reduce the damage taken by 1 to a minimum of 1.  The RR is more complicated than the BRB (quoted by @jagsba above), but it provides the technical underpinning for how it functions.  The two are identical in function, but the quick descriptors sound different enough.

Given the RR definition, after an attack hits, if there are more than one hit result remaining, you'll add 1 evade result.  As such, it'll prevent one ion token or tractor token or such from one of those weapons.  The evade result is added during the Neutralize Results step, which is long after the window for the attacker to modify the defender's dice, or even the window for Crack Shot (which is immediately before the Neutralize Results step).

Yeah, that's my bad. I don't think I ever bothered to read it in the RRG because it was already explained in the RB. Didn't expect it to be any different.

12 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, sure.  But that's kinda unhelpful here.

The issue isn't a contradiction in the rules--the RR just provides the technical underpinning for a mechanic which works in a functionally identical way to the BRB mechanic--but that folks are confused by different-sounding explanations.  I ought to have worded my original post better.

Actually, there is a difference in the form of control. Because it reduces damage to a minimum of 1 (really quick wording that is effective) it is literally useless against ion and the like. But it still is a pretty good buff available to lambdas and decimators.