BCooper85

Was anyone at Nordics at the weekend?

I went over to Sweden for the weekend along with my friends Greg and Luke to take part in the Nordics Champs and it was fantastic!

I didn't do very well on the first day (went 1-5), but did better in the hangar bay on the second day going 2-1 (and winning a Scum Falcon in the raffle!).

Had a really great time, met some cool people, got some nice swag and was particularly pleased to hear that the organisers knew that the 'Instagram guy' was at their tournament (I run @starwarsxwing if you're interested).

It was my first nationals and my first time playing X-Wing abroad and I would thoroughly recommend it!!

Edited by BCooper85

34 minutes ago, jesper_h said:

Hi Ben. Thoroughly enjoyed meeting you. Apologies for getting your birthday wrong!

Haha, I don't know where the birthday thing came from as it's in March!

Edited by BCooper85

7 hours ago, JJFDVORAK said:

That's funny. I saw this post and thought "a guy I follow on IG went to Nordics" and "He won a Scum falcon too"  It was a this point I realized that it's you I follow on IG. ? I'm a bit slow sometimes.  

Hahaha you got there in the end that's what matters!

Thanks for the follow by the way, really appreciate it ?

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

@TallGiraffe answering your summons!

I was there, playing x-wing on Saturday, making the cut with 5-1 and 5th place, but dropping to play armada on Sunday (went 4-0, but 'only' got second).

Had a blast. Great venue, great people.

Wow 5-1 and then 4-0 is amazing!

How the **** did you only come second winning all the games? Was it just swiss?

2 minutes ago, BCooper85 said:

Wow 5-1 and then 4-0 is amazing!

How the **** did you only come second winning all the games? Was it just swiss?

Armada is "only" 4 round of Swiss. It would be better with a top 2, or better yet 5 rounds Swiss and top 4...

BUT 4 games = 9 hours of playing time, and extra time to finish any ongoing round. So we played almost without any breaks from 8:30 am to 7 pm :D

More than 4 games needs to be a 2-day event.

They do that at some Nationals, like Poland where there are more players, and at Euros and Worlds.

8 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Armada is "only" 4 round of Swiss. It would be better with a top 2, or better yet 5 rounds Swiss and top 4...

BUT 4 games = 9 hours of playing time, and extra time to finish any ongoing round. So we played almost without any breaks from 8:30 am to 7 pm :D

More than 4 games needs to be a 2-day event.

They do that at some Nationals, like Poland where there are more players, and at Euros and Worlds.

That's a long day! Still a brilliant showing well done ?

I've played one game of Armada and really enjoyed it, I just can't justify paying for 2 Star Wars games unfortunately (with money or time!)

What did you fly on Saturday? 

56 minutes ago, BCooper85 said:

That's a long day! Still a brilliant showing well done ?

I've played one game of Armada and really enjoyed it, I just can't justify paying for 2 Star Wars games unfortunately (with money or time!)

What did you fly on Saturday? 

I flew this:

Nordics 2018 R3 (200)
Wedge Antilles — T-65 X-Wing 52
Proton Torpedoes 9
R3 Astromech 3
Servomotor S-foils 0
Ship Total: 64

Luke Skywalker — T-65 X-Wing 62
Instinctive Aim 2
Proton Torpedoes 9
Servomotor S-foils 0
Ship Total: 73

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 Starfighter 55
Intimidation 3
“Zeb” Orrelios 1
Veteran Tail Gunner 4
Ship Total: 63

Wrote a little about my experiences on my (mostly) Armada blog: https://armadaihaveyounow.blogspot.com/2018/10/nordics-2018-after-action-report-part-1.html

24 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

I flew this:

Nordics 2018 R3 (200)
Wedge Antilles — T-65 X-Wing 52
Proton Torpedoes 9
R3 Astromech 3
Servomotor S-foils 0
Ship Total: 64

Luke Skywalker — T-65 X-Wing 62
Instinctive Aim 2
Proton Torpedoes 9
Servomotor S-foils 0
Ship Total: 73

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 Starfighter 55
Intimidation 3
“Zeb” Orrelios 1
Veteran Tail Gunner 4
Ship Total: 63

Wrote a little about my experiences on my (mostly) Armada blog: https://armadaihaveyounow.blogspot.com/2018/10/nordics-2018-after-action-report-part-1.html

Ooo looks interesting! 

How did you find Vet Tail Gunner? I decided after a couple of games it's a waste of points but maybe you have a different outlook??

23 minutes ago, BCooper85 said:

Ooo looks interesting! 

How did you find Vet Tail Gunner? I decided after a couple of games it's a waste of points but maybe you have a different outlook??

Vet Tail Gunner is not essential, I mean wo it u can shoot front OR back, but I think its a pretty decent upgrade for 4 pts. I had quite a few times when I got shots both front and back, especially mid-game, and many of those shots were range 1. Putting out 4+3 attack from a lowly ARC is pretty good. Even better when you get Intimidation on YOUR attack and Norra's ability on YOUR defense (she died only once in 6 games)

Also, when I decided to risk using Zeb/Intimidation (also not essential), I felt I would be getting more opportunities for 2 shots than normal. Can't really say for sure if that was the case or not, but that was the idea at the time. Yeah, it definitely worked out. In one instance Norra did a K-turn, landing right behind Luke, then with her fat *** blocking poor Wedge. A nice double shot there, using all of Vet tail gunner, Zeb, Intimidation. It probably happened more than one, bc ppl crashed into Norra/Norra crashed into them quite a bit.

Relatedly, neither R3 or Instinctive Aim are essential, but again they give a lot of flexibility for just a few points.

Over the course of 6 games every pilot and upgrade pulled its weight, so I'm very happy with the composition.

Edited by Green Knight

5 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

cool winning list. 3 scum ships. minimal upgrades 7pt int bid. 6/6/5 pilot initiative. moving last was key to success i guess ;)

It's 6/5/5 and it won only Swiss, failed at top16, but yes - very ballsy and fun list.