Sign in to follow this  
gazzagames

Daisy or Rex?

Hey All.... our group is about to start the Dunwich Legacy and I am trying to decide who to play... one of my mates is going to play a Guardian, probably Zoe, and the other is likely to go for a rouge.... which leaves me majoring in clue gathering...

So I have started to put together decks for Daisy & Rex, but can't decide which to play.... I like Daisy's high intellect and access to mystic cards, but Rex seems the obvious clue hoover.... anyone out there wanna put their 2 cents in?

Edited by gazzagames

Do you want to have fun, or do you want to be efficient?

Rex Murphy is widely considered to be a very strong (many would say too strong) investigator because he can get clues with unmatched efficiency if he can use his ability consistently. However, while his statline and 5 off-class slots can make for some slightly unusual and potentially interesting approaches (e.g. resource-heavy build using Burglary from Rogue, bouncing assets back to hand to re-use with Scavenging from Survivor), a "standard" Rex build is about getting buffs to Intellect (Dr Milan Christopher, Magnifying Glass, Higher Education, etc.) and sucking up clues better than anyone else. It's a very strong way to play, but may make the game feel too easy and certainly could be very boring for you.

Daisy Walker has the potential for some fun decks. She can use Old Book of Lore to help her and her allies get the right cards, and Encyclopedia to boost her stats, maybe Willpower to use mystic cards like Shrivelling. Access to Mystic also means you can do a decent amount of support for your team - Ward of Protection (2) to cancel nasty mythos cards, Shrivelling to handle a bit of combat if Zoey has her hands full, Blinding Light to evade enemies, and so on, as well as using your tomes to give your allies bonuses. Her higher base Intellect also means that she needs let setup to be able to investigate consistently, which can be handy if you have a bad opening hand or are forced to discard useful assets, and can let you concentrate your efforts elsewhere.

Personally I'd say Daisy is the more enjoyable investigator, but I freely admit to disliking the design of Rex.

Just as a point, I played Daisy through Dunwich Legacy. In the third scenario there is a Tome asset you may have the option to put into your deck. It makes Daisy an absolute monster. The extra action you get from Tome assets is a lot of fun.

I'm of the opinion that Daisy is a stronger character on Hard mode because of her 5 base lore.   Daisy has all the cards she needs to get really high investigate checks, allowing her to succeed most of the time on hard mode without needing to commit cards/resources.  A tougher token bag punishes Rex who wants to succeed by 2 or more,  and his lower base lore skill makes it more difficult for him on hard mode.   Daisy's encyclopedia is great, but that said I usually forgo it in favor of Book of Old Lore, allowing you a free draw each turn, helping you search for exactly what you need.   Daisy's weakness is very tame, and her signature item is somewhat mediocre, but not terrible.   Daisy's card pool is superior to Rex's,  with access to some incredible cards like St. Hubert's Key, Ward of Protection, Shriveling, and Delve too Deep.

Rex on the other hand is probably a more powerful character on Normal or Easy mode.  He can still succeed by 2+ fairly consistently, allowing him to make his ability work often.  He does have lower base lore,  but that can be mitigated with Higher Education, and some of the other seeker tools.  His signature card is mediocre as well, but I find his signature weakness to be  very annoying indeed.   While Daisy has access to more non-seeker cards, Rex has a full array of options for 5 cards only.   Scavenging is a natural fit, since Rex likes to succeed by 2 anyway, if you are going for an item-based strategy.   You can recycle flashlights, or even a bulletproof vest if you need it.   I'm also a big fan of Disc of Itzamna on Rex, allowing you to scavenge-cycle it and eliminate some enemy spawns.  Any of the mystic cards I mentioned for daisy are of course options, but you'll have to pick and choose what you want the most.  

hope that helps.

Rex is very powerful. The burglary/scavenging advice is spot on. I also enjoy putting in Daring Maneuver in Rex decks for higher difficulties. With Scavenging, he can turn any soak item into infinite hit points. Someone mentioned the Disc combo if Rex can afford it. With Dr Milan/Higher Ed, then Rex is basically walking around with a 7 Intellect, which should clue all the clues. His Curse is only annoying because it makes you draw twice which is monotonous and time consuming.

My blind Dunwich playthrough was with Rex/Zoey. Strong pair.

3 minutes ago, Iuchi Toshimo said:

Rex is very powerful. The burglary/scavenging advice is spot on. I also enjoy putting in Daring Maneuver in Rex decks for higher difficulties. With Scavenging, he can turn any soak item into infinite hit points. Someone mentioned the Disc combo if Rex can afford it. With Dr Milan/Higher Ed, then Rex is basically walking around with a 7 Intellect, which should clue all the clues. His Curse is only annoying because it makes you draw twice which is monotonous and time consuming.

My blind Dunwich playthrough was with Rex/Zoey. Strong pair. 

Just wanted to reiterate, his weakness really slows the game down significantly.

Its unfortunate really.

Thanks for all the advice and input guys!

I think I am going to go for Daisy on the basis of playability and options that the Mystic cards bring.... Rex does seem like he would be very efficient (perhaps too efficient...) and a bit 'boring to play'....

I'm definitely including Delve Too Deep, especially for the early scenarios...

I love Rex and I think he completely rocks with scavenger, but in my 3-player Rex Dunwich campaign, my star cards (ignoring Keys of YS) were old book of Lore and No Stone Unturned, to help whichever investigator had a slow start. With them, Pete always got Dark Horse and Zoe also got Sleight of Hand + Lightning gun and I always found my Keys of Ys.

Daisy with a build focused on Old Book of Lore rocks. Filtered card draw every round makes every thing awesome. The deck always works, and decks around it always work. I thought she was solid the campaign I saw her in, where she was mostly rocking the Encyclopedia, but with Old Book of Lore she seriously Kicks ***.

As a mini update... went with Daisy and have done Extracurricular Activity this week!! All went very well...my archaic glyphs were translated in the library, but I have yet to use my shrewd analysis to fully comprehend their meaning.... I thought I heard Mark & Leo calling for help at the alchemical labs, but it was probably just the wind.....

Off to some sleazy speakeasy next, not sure it is the kind of place for someone of higher education... I do hope my new found encyclopaedia doesn't get damaged in the raucous bar.....