Br11741

Imperial Navy Core Rulebook?

6 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Though if their RPG department has shrunk as much as some of the speculation suggests, it's entirely possibly that FFG's RPG department simply doesn't have the resources to fully back multiple RPG product lines.  And with Genesys and L5R being the in-company IPs, it's not surprising that they'd get more of the attention in terms of RPG staffing resources as opposed to Star Wars, which has covered the majority of what it's needed to cover.

If this is true then they are better off sticking with reprints and hoping for new customers for old books rather than trying to sell new books to the same old customers. Sure, a trickle of new books will be there as a sustaining drip, but the lines are likely on life support.

I think it'd be a good seller, but like others have said I don't know if it'd be all that necessary. The core rules can easily be repurposed for Imperial games already, and even before Rise of the Separatists people have used AoR for Clone Wars games too.

Still, the more splats the better. The Imperial side of things getting equally fleshed out would be nice.

As long as the card games and miniatures games are doing well, I don't think the RPG is going anywhere. From what I understand, the licenses are bundled. And judging by the FFG news page, these other Star Wars games are doing quite well. Whether they'll put any resources into the RPG and make an Imperial book? Yeah, it seems a steady drip is all we can expect at this point, and what that will include (beyond the teased sector and era books) is anybody's guess.

2 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

As long as the card games and miniatures games are doing well, I don't think the RPG is going anywhere. From what I understand, the licenses are bundled. And judging by the FFG news page, these other Star Wars games are doing quite well. Whether they'll put any resources into the RPG and make an Imperial book? Yeah, it seems a steady drip is all we can expect at this point, and what that will include (beyond the teased sector and era books) is anybody's guess.

So on a semi-related tangent to this, I just finished reading Bill Slavicsek's recollections about the history of Star Wars RPGs, from it's inception with West End Games and how that shaped much of the Expanded Universe (and still impacts canon today) up through the 30th Anniversary panel at GenCon 2017.

Though it's necessarily light on details of FFG's stewardship of the license, he does mention that one of the driving reasons WotC dropped the license was that Hasbro (WotC's parent company) insisted on certain financial goals being met each quarter.  And with the licensing fees, the Star Wars lines just weren't meeting those goals, and thus it ultimately became a business decision to not renew the license when it expired.  I would suspect those goals were set based upon the performance of D&D, which is perhaps unrealistic, but with WotC never really being able to get a solid collectible card game on the market and the RPG itself being second-fiddle to D&D... it's probably more surprising that WotC held onto the license as long as they did, probably due to the plastic minis line being as profitable as it was.

With FFG, being in and of itself a gaming company rather than a subsidiary of a toy company, they probably don't have as high of an expectation for what the Star Wars product lines have to achieve in revenue.  That they've had a great deal of success with their minis games as well during the initial years of the RPG line has been a bonus.

So yeah, as long as titles like X-Wing, Destiny, and their card games keep selling well, I don't think we'll see FFG dropping the license any time soon.  They may just simply do what WotC did and allow the RPG line to fade into the backdrop, releasing products once ever couple of quarters or so (especially if they're required to use an overseas printer by the license as some on these forums have speculated as to why Rise of the Separatists has been "on the boat" for so long).

FFG's parent company is Asmodée, a french games company that started as an RPG editor under the name of Siroz back in the 80's. Siroz became Asmodée at the turn of the century if I remember correctly and stopped doing RPG only 10 years ago, mostly because the french RPG market was (and still is) a bottomless pit of money for an editor : too small with too many editors. That's very different from Hasbro which didn't know what was a RPG before WotC bought TSR. And even after having owned D&D for some years they didn't have a clue on how worked the RPG market. If they had clues they'll never have approved D&D4, neither published more books than the market could absorb.

D&D 4e was fine as a system in and of itself, and really only suffered from being far too radical a shift from previous versions of D&D.  Had it been titled anything other than D&D, I fully believe that 4e wouldn't have had nearly as much vitriol aimed at it by D&D fans that didn't want to sacrifice all those sacred cows.

I agree that they went overkill on the supplemental material, but then the same charge can be leveled at Paizo with all the splats and supplemental material that they've published over the life span of Pathfinder's first edition.

Edit: Which if you look back through D&D's very long history, every new edition has gotten blasted by fans of the previous edition for changing things or having a glut of useless supplements that were nothing more than naked cash grabs.  2nd edition got it from the 1e crowd, 3e got it from the 2e and 1e crowd, 4e got it from the 3e crowd (most of the 2e and 1e crowd had already given up on WotC by that point), and 5e is getting it from the 3e and 4e crowd (with 'glut' complaint more being one of too many modules and not enough player-focused crunch).

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

If I knew FFG would end up treating this game this way I would have never bought into it.  It’s a good game, better than WOTC produced game but not nearly as good as the WEG material.  I am expecting to see something like this in late January, “ with the release of ROTS it will bring and end to our adventure”. Bookmark this page because you heard it here first folks.

Check this guy out^^^, was  a junior in high school when WEG released their first starwars book, I have every mod and sourcebook since.  Look I’m not going to poke fun at you, I see you have a lot of posts, After all everyone has a lot to say right?  I’m guessing you never witnessed the end of WEG or WOTC.   FFG is doing the same thing (things) that WOTC did near the end of that line.  Yeah call me a noob, I’m just getting into this.

I will try and be more positive, right now I am using Imperial assault, Legion and X-wing in my FFG games and I am liking it. Just would hate if this ended.  I also mix in a good fair share of WEG, and only very little of WOTC except for dark side talents.  Running an Imperial civil war campaign that happens 6 months after Endor.

1 hour ago, Rogo727 said:

*pompous blowhard tirade*

Well, let's see.

You pretty much barge into the RPG forums, having no real presence prior to now, saying the sky is falling and expect everyone to take you seriously.  Of course, your proclamation that FFG is just going to let the line die out is already deep-sixed by the fact that the a reprint of the AoR core book just hit shelves, and there's reprints listed in the Upcoming products section for two of the latest Force and Destiny career books, which is indeed an odd move for a company that as you claimed will be killing support for the RPG whole-hog.

Frankly, "noob" was the politest term I could have used for someone who acts the way you have.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:49 PM, Rogo727 said:

If I knew FFG would end up treating this game this way I would have never bought into it.  It’s a good game, better than WOTC produced game but not nearly as good as the WEG material.  I am expecting to see something like this in late January, “ with the release of ROTS it will bring and end to our adventure”. Bookmark this page because you heard it here first folks.

Got offered a playtest I turned down because I'm not running Star Wars currently.

Bookmark this page folks because ROTS isn't the last book as far as what one Pirate who can neither confirm nor deny anything knows...