barabelsftw

Is Badpenny a Terrible Card?

First off, I am so excited to get some of my own decks once they release.

I've demoed a few decks and played with Badpenny. I almost always end up discarding her rather than playing her because I feel almost everything in my deck is better than a 1 strength creature with no other in play abilities, and on top of it she mucks up your next turn's hand unless you were gonna play shadows again. And if you don't play shadows you'll draw one less card cause Badpenny is stuck back in your hand. I think she'd be amazing as a Mars card synergising extremely well with Battlefleet and Mothergun and all the martian creatures who want as many in play friendlies as possible.

Anybody have any experience where Badpenny proved to be super useful? 

Just did a demo yesterday and Bad Penny is wonderful. Cards that needed a sacrifice- Bad Penny. Cases where a card would dmg multiple targets but my opponent didn't have enough to eat it all-day Bad Penny. She is an incredibly useful sacrificial lamb depending in the deck she is in.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:02 PM, barabelsftw said:

Nice I had not thought of that. I guess she also is a reap threat like any other creature. 

Bad Penny can also effectively draw out an attack from a much larger creature (wasting opponents opportunity to do damage to something else or reaping itself). That being said, I do think she is fairly underwhelming because there are usually better things to do. 

Have two in a deck and found her useless if your opponent has the board. This is mainly because as she is bounced back into your hand it limits your draw if you're starting with 8 cards.  

Definitely an early play card. Or when your board is strong.  Sacrificing her is a great move though 

My girlfriend used her today mixed with the seeker missile (?) Shadow card to make a good bit of aember against me. Any turn she called shadow, she would just tap bad penny to reap, tap seeker to do one damage, kill bad penny, gain an aember from killing something with seeker, then play bad penny back out. It was pretty effective. 

Yeah have her with seeker middle and that’s 2 amber each turn. She’s useful but really it depends on your deck and as she requires something to synergize with. Though as another poster said she works well eating elusive from a target.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, blinkingline said:

Bad Penny is a very cheap way around an opponent creature's elusive. 

When an elusive creature is attacked the first time, NEITHER creature does damage.  It is not a perfect mirror of Skirmish.

8 hours ago, Ronco402 said:

When an elusive creature is attacked the first time, NEITHER creature does damage.  It is not a perfect mirror of Skirmish.

Right, but better to use a cheap creature for that first attack, rather than a heavy hitter. 

Honestly she is ok by herself but really is a great combo card. 

For example with speed sigil (1st creature comes into play ready): Reap with Bad Penny, ping her with seeker needle, replay her and reap. Thats a repeatable 3 aember turn with shadow. There are also other cards that you can sacrifice a creature to do something cool that she is great for. 

Overall not a bad creature.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:57 AM, Necronson said:

Autocannon + Soul Snatcher. Enjoy stacking aember to the high heavens with Bad Penny.

You're still capped by the rule of 6, but, it's a neat combo

Edited by Ishi Tonu

On 11/10/2018 at 5:06 PM, R18Julia said:

Have two in a deck and found her useless if your opponent has the board. This is mainly because as she is bounced back into your hand it limits your draw if you're starting with 8 cards.  

Definitely an early play card. Or when your board is strong.  Sacrificing her is a great move though 

You can just discard her, no?

There has to be “bad” cards for others to be good :) in a way, this is why I like this game, the “bad” cards have to be used. In a builder, penny might be just a “filler” that people hate finding in a booster pack. 

Bad Penny seems weak on first glance, because it's obvious she might at some point clog up your hand and she kind of forces you into shadows. 
But I feel she is pretty strong, actually. Although I never really want to see more than one (until the one is purged), the one is really useful. 

- She's a cheap way to get one damage in to remove elusive or armour from a creature, then replay her for free
- She reaps, like any other creature
- She synergises with a lot of in-house cards like (multiple) Seeker Needles, Pawn Sacrifice, etc.
- She synergises with a lot of out-house cards like Soul Snatcher, Neutron Shark, Deathquark, etc.
- She makes some cool combos possible like Soul Snatcher / Autocannon / Penny. I feel Bad Penny is one of the major contributing reasons to the implementation of the rule of 6

I had a game yesterday with this sequence:
- Reap with Bad Penny (+1Ae)
- Seeker Needle Bad Penny (+1Ae)
- Replay Bad Penny 
- Seeker Needle Bad Penny (+1Ae)
- Replay Bad Penny
- Pawn Sacrifice Bad Penny (+1Ae)
- Replay Bad Penny

Does that make her the best thing ever? No, the above is pretty situational at best, but it does sort of underline the potential of Penny, which makes her an interesting card that does more than you'd think at first. 

Edited by Slipstreams