Sign in to follow this  
Ken on Cape

Besides new races, what do people want to see in expansions?

MeisterH said:

if they include more neutral units, they will probably be themed after the expansion, so if we ever gets an ice expansion we would probably get

ice wyrms, wendigos and other things like that.

I hadn't really thought of that.  That would be pretty nice to get some desert or snow tiles to throw into the game (please no tiles that REPLACE the core game like Runebound). 

Kirenx said:

I hadn't really thought of that.  That would be pretty nice to get some desert or snow tiles to throw into the game (please no tiles that REPLACE the core game like Runebound). 

brr... my soul gets cold just thinking about it.

but regarding the posts about more hero interaction, couldn't that be easily executed by makeing some alternativ rules, like the epic game variant?

MeisterH said:

but regarding the posts about more hero interaction, couldn't that be easily executed by makeing some alternativ rules, like the epic game variant?

I'm not really looking for alternative hero interaction.  In fact for the most part I like how the heroes work.  I just want a few more tactics cards like Lost City that allow heroes to influence the army side of the game in some way even if not directly.

Kirenx said:

I'm not really looking for alternative hero interaction.  In fact for the most part I like how the heroes work.  I just want a few more tactics cards like Lost City that allow heroes to influence the army side of the game in some way even if not directly.

oh, sorry

and what you say would be really nice, maybe they could add some more rewards that can influnce the armies, like the ice storm card for exampel.

Yeah that wouldn't be bad.  Also I think a few more tactic and reward cards like those would go a long way to satisfying people that want more hero interaction while not really changing the game too drasticly.

MeisterH said:

yäys!

we be making people happy! gran_risa.gif

and if we're lucky, a certain person may see all of our great ideas and make an expansion of itlengua.gif

That's always the hope isn't it!  *cough* neutral hydra *cough*

I like the idea of Ferrox as a race, although I'd still like to see at least Orcs and Dwarves first.  Standard fantasy trope, perhaps, but they are an established part of the Terrinoth world.  I agree that they (Ferrox) are more likely to be neutrals though, it just seems to be their lot in these games. =P

Steve-O said:

I like the idea of Ferrox as a race, although I'd still like to see at least Orcs and Dwarves first.  Standard fantasy trope, perhaps, but they are an established part of the Terrinoth world.  I agree that they (Ferrox) are more likely to be neutrals though, it just seems to be their lot in these games. =P

I would bet that if they do add new races they will add them in even numbers, 1 good and 1 evil.  Story wise Orcs are supposed to have allied to with good so if we get either dwarves or orcs it will be interesting to see what we get for an evil race.  Maybe they will even add a third option, neutral?  They do have neutral heroes (orcs at that) so it could work.

Kirenx said:

Steve-O said:

I would bet that if they do add new races they will add them in even numbers, 1 good and 1 evil.  Story wise Orcs are supposed to have allied to with good so if we get either dwarves or orcs it will be interesting to see what we get for an evil race.  Maybe they will even add a third option, neutral?  They do have neutral heroes (orcs at that) so it could work.

I don't necessarily think we'll get 1 good and 1 evil; it's just as plausible that you'll see 2 Neutral-alignment races.  Especially if you consider that all 4 Orc Heroes in the game are Neutral, it could easily follow that the Orcs would be a neutrally-aligned race.  The Dwarves could fit in there, too.  In Battlemist, they were neutral, and although the Orcs were evil there, after centuries they could have mellowed out, especially since the barbarians seemed to have turned into evil fanatics.

Kirenx said:

I've been assuming they would both be neutral.  Seems like an obvious choice what with all the orc heroes being neutral.  I do agree that if one race were Good, the other would almost certainly be Evil.

Steve-O said:

I've been assuming they would both be neutral.  Seems like an obvious choice what with all the orc heroes being neutral.  I do agree that if one race were Good, the other would almost certainly be Evil.

Well if they do develop a team game varient and then add 2 neutral races we could have 3 teams of 2!!!

just a little thought, if the new factions were indeed neutral, what would happen when they had a good or evil hero during the autumn season card, "true colours" (don't remeber what it's called) do they always have to pay the highest cost to keep non neutral heroes, or would it always be the lowere cost since they indeed are neutral and therfore they are both good and bad.

I would think if neutral becomes a race and a faction the neutral heroes would be a part of that.   Then they would have to pay the highest cost but also neutral would be considered a different faction from both good and evil for all requirments.

would they make a new objectivs deck for the neutral factions or would they have a special rule that said they get to choose from wich deck they draw their secret objectiv. hmm. and what other races/ factions are there except the orks and dwarfs in the runebound univers?

I was thinking there would be a new objective deck but it would also probably work drawing from either order or evil.  The problem is if you give a faction more choices than others there will be an issue of balance so special rules probably would have to incorperated.  For possible playable races just taking ones from heroes and cards in Runebound there are minotaurs, the cat-elf things (whatever Lyssa from Island of Dread was), dragon hybrids, serpent-kin, Ferrox, Orcs, Dwarves, abominations, plant men/creatures, ancient machines, yeti, and there could easily be different human factions as well, such as one with flamecasters and golems.

edit: forgot lizardmen, poor Ispher!

MeisterH said:

would they make a new objectivs deck for the neutral factions or would they have a special rule that said they get to choose from wich deck they draw their secret objectiv. hmm. and what other races/ factions are there except the orks and dwarfs in the runebound univers?

I think Neutrals would need their own objective deck, even if the objectives are just half and half taken from each of good and evil.  I'm not familiar with the exact wording of True Colours, but I'd be okay with them getting an advantage from being in the middle, alignment-wise.  They could make new cards in the expansion that hurt Neutrals to make up for those benefits, or they could give each neutral race some small debuff to counterbalance it.

As for other races, there's some kind of lizardfolk (Ispher), minotaurs (Steelhorns), halflings (that wolf-rider from FW/ToI), Karnak, Shiver, and Zyla, off the top of my head.  Most of those heroes strike me as one-offs though.  Rare and rational-minded outcasts of their given race rather than an example of a new civilized culture.  Shiver is probably some kind of undead, so it's unlikely we'd see a race out of him. Dragons were a race in Battlemist, so a race of Ispher-types is not entirely out of the blue. Based on the role dragons play in RB, they'd probably be Evil. I forget what the 8th race in BM was.

Ferrox have been mentioned as a potential race earlier in this thread - there aren't any Ferrox heroes but there are more than a few Ferrox monster cards in RB, and they appear in Descent as well.  That's not to say it's a likely choice, but it might be interesting to see.

Edit: If they wanted to do an artic expansion they could make a race of humans  based on vikings (like Laughing Buldar) and give them Wendigoes and such as "dogs of war" style pets.

Steve-O said:

Dragons were a race in Battlemist, so a race of Ispher-types is not entirely out of the blue. Based on the role dragons play in RB, they'd probably be Evil. I forget what the 8th race in BM was.

There were only 6 races in Battlemist; Dragons were neutrals in that game also, not a fully playable race.

However, in Diskwars, which shares the same "universe", Dragons was their own race, and they were evil.  But the story at the beginning of the Runewars book seems to indicate the day of the dragon is done, that they are more of a scattered race who don't command the power they once did.

Right me if I'm wrong, but didn't players have magic spells in Battlemist? is that something one could add? but it could be that the tactic cards kind of replace them. though it would be pretty awesome to throw magic spells at each otherlengua.gif

MeisterH said:

Right me if I'm wrong, but didn't players have magic spells in Battlemist? is that something one could add? but it could be that the tactic cards kind of replace them. though it would be pretty awesome to throw magic spells at each otherlengua.gif

I've been working on a magic variant.  The main difference with Battlemist, though, is that your stars were never on the map; they refreshed every round, and you just spent your stars by placing them on your card until the next round.  Since Runewars has the runes on the board itself, some kind of tracking mechanism would be needed.  And since in the non-epic game, runes are "hidden", you can't just base it on real runes, you'd have to base it on fake runes, too, which would mean the epic game would have a different spell dynamic than the regular game (though that may not necessarily be a hinderance).

When I'm finished with it, I'll be posting it on boardgamegeek.

What I want to see is a tactic card that allows you to "teleport" some units (I'm think either 2 triangle or 1 square or both) to a hex containing one of your heroes.  This would make players think twice about leaving runes far in the back guarded by a single unit and also allow for some potentially interesting hex control strats.

Kirenx said:

What I want to see is a tactic card that allows you to "teleport" some units (I'm think either 2 triangle or 1 square or both) to a hex containing one of your heroes.

There's already a relic card that essentially does this (the Rune of Summoning).  It has limitations, yes, but I think those limitations NEED to be there, because otherwise it would be far too powerful! 

Personally, the one thing I think the Tactics Deck is really missing is something akin to the "Sabotage" card in Twilight Imperium; while I think it's cool to have the variety of effects, sometimes a player is put in a situation where another player can play these cards against them and there is no recourse for doing anything about it.  While a Sabotage card would not be a guarantee, it could keep a player in check before playing a particularly nasty card, because they don't know if it will be canceled.

Actually Rune of Summoning is completely different, it requires an empty space and transports a bunch of units.  My idea is something that works on ANY space but only transports a small amount of units, like 1 or 2 and would be more for late game shenanigans although possible to use for a strategic area grab too.  I can't see how this would be overpowered it would just make people weigh the risk of leaving their runes and/or areas in the far back lightly defended.

Another card I'd like to see is some sneak defense type of card, by which I essentially mean something that lets you move or create units on one of your controlled areas under attack.