Sign in to follow this  
Pooleman

T-70 article.

26 minutes ago, generalchaos34 said:

Also I am not understanding all this hate for Poe. I personally love him and he is well represented in the comics as well. Plus they made his title "Trigger Happy Flyboy" whats not to love? And to top it off he's in no way a mary sue because he's also insanely stupid on top of it all! Not to mention all those droid belly rubs he gives...

Yeah the hate and Disney themed conspiracy theories are getting kinda silly. Dude is a fictional character, who only continues to be in movies because people thought he was cool, so of course he's going to be strong. was anyone calling foul on Disney when they saw that Vader is powerful? there have been all kinds of insinuations about Disney mandating which characters are allowed to be in the game, and how powerful they are in relation to what's in the game from the old trilogies. if people don't like the character's or the movie their from, that's cool, but why do we have to pretend Disney actually cares what a bunch of nerds playing with spaceships have printed on their little cards? some people act like Mickey himself is rolling into FFG headquarters, very miffed that Poe doesn't read "if shooting at any ship other than Poe Dameron, destroy it instantly and cancel all dice results"

Edited by Hippie Moosen

11 minutes ago, Icelom said:

I guess i am the only one excited for Jaycris Tubbs,

That ability is fantastic on a PS 1 ship.

I was gonna say Bb8 Poe is lnfatuated with ole Tubby. Tubby clears poes ptl stress so poe can use bb8. But that primed thrusters will help the same way.

44 minutes ago, generalchaos34 said:

Also I am not understanding all this hate for Poe. I personally love him and he is well represented in the comics as well. Plus they made his title "Trigger Happy Flyboy" whats not to love? And to top it off he's in no way a mary sue because he's also insanely stupid on top of it all! Not to mention all those droid belly rubs he gives...

I love how contradictory they are. 

“Poe is too good, stupid Disney!”

”Poe made a mistake, Disney can’t let a man do anything right.”

4 hours ago, AgentoftheEmpire said:

You two are talking about different things. You yourself are talking about the charge for Poe while Frimmel is talking about the Black One charge.

Darn, that poses a problem. Could have sworn we were talking about the pilot ability not the slam. Yes, he can slam once. 

1 hour ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Honestly, of all the new characters, I  do not have an issue with Poe. He’s alright by me. 

My earlier comment was more the idea of Resistance being Disney’s team so they have to be really good (likely good for the points too, though I may require some tin foil for that one).

Sorry if my comment earlier came off as a complaint about Poe as a character - it was more a gameplay balance and expecting the “new” films to get point-for-point “better” options than the others.

Given the kneejerk flocking to i5+, tempted to say the only t70 we'll see is proton Torp Poe

Ie the i6 redline 

Though it's possible bb8 won't be costed into the stratosphere, in which case we'll get APT Poe!

Otherwise, black 1 looks incredible (if the price is right) and m9g8 is a baller (though ironically not a BB model)

Also Mr totally-not-going-to-die-loving-father works on himself ..keep an eye on upgrades that cause you to stress yourself 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Here's the thing I really like about Poe as a double-reposition ship: he's only 2 attack dice, unless you get the bullseye or use some sort of special attack.  Ion Cannon Poe?  Proton Torpedoes are probably best, however.  Use double-movement actions to get decent position, and then light things up the following turn.  Meanwhile, with 2 agility, Poe will be vulnerable to chip damage.

I also really like the design of the BB-type droids.  Getting extra movement actions can be hugely powerful.  Personally, I was so sick of Flight Assist Astromech by the end of 1e.  But the BB-droids are a lot more limited, only allowing two uses per game.  They got the Afterburners treatment, somewhat, and I like that.  I wonder at their pricing.  BB-8 didn't show up too often in 1e except on Poe, and that was at the equivalent of 4 points, with unlimited usage.  I kind of hope they're a bit cheaper than that, since I think they'd be fun to play with, but some of that is just wanting things I like to be cheaper.

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Given the kneejerk flocking to i5+, tempted to say the only t70 we'll see is proton Torp Poe

Ie the i6 redline 

Though it's possible bb8 won't be costed into the stratosphere, in which case we'll get APT Poe!

Otherwise, black 1 looks incredible (if the price is right) and m9g8 is a baller (though ironically not a BB model)

Also Mr totally-not-going-to-die-loving-father works on himself ..keep an eye on upgrades that cause you to stress yourself 

20 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Here's the thing I really like about Poe as a double-reposition ship: he's only 2 attack dice, unless you get the bullseye or use some sort of special attack.  Ion Cannon Poe?  Proton Torpedoes are probably best, however.  Use double-movement actions to get decent position, and then light things up the following turn.  Meanwhile, with 2 agility, Poe will be vulnerable to chip damage.

I also really like the design of the BB-type droids.  Getting extra movement actions can be hugely powerful.  Personally, I was so sick of Flight Assist Astromech by the end of 1e.  But the BB-droids are a lot more limited, only allowing two uses per game.  They got the Afterburners treatment, somewhat, and I like that.  I wonder at their pricing.  BB-8 didn't show up too often in 1e except on Poe, and that was at the equivalent of 4 points, with unlimited usage.  I kind of hope they're a bit cheaper than that, since I think they'd be fun to play with, but some of that is just wanting things I like to be cheaper.

HLC dudes. If Fel can double reposition to get his focus, R4 Poe can do it too get HLC. 

20 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Yeah, I'm guessing the BB's will be at best 4pters.  6 is iffy, any more is probably a hard pass.

5 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing the BB's will be at best 4pters.  6 is iffy, any more is probably a hard pass.

Oh yay, a faction specific "generic" astromech... I guess it simplifies balancing since they only have to worry about the T-70, possibly the T-85, and what ever they add from Resistance carrying it, compared to every astro slot small base and maybe med bases too... Annoying though and hopefully not an indicator of what they're doing with the tech slots.

9 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

HLC dudes. If Fel can double reposition to get his focus, R4 Poe can do it too get HLC. 

I mean, it'll certainly be tested, but HLC does something entirely different.  HLC does nothing to cover the drawback of being closed S-Foils; you'll still be 2-red dice if you can't bullseye your target.  Now, sometimes it's the right goal to open up a larger weakness in order to have a bigger strength, but not always.  Maybe with Heroic (reroll your dice if you roll all blanks), being on 2 dice won't be so bad, but there's certainly a different benefit to being at 3 red dice at all times.  Still, it's an interesting design to have that 2-dice weakness, and have to decide whether to cover it, or whether to ignore it and try for a bigger payout.

Consider: in my experience, it seems a lot easier to dodge arcs at range 1, which is too close for HLC.  Meanwhile, the point of a Proton Torpedo or Ion Cannon is that you don't have to worry about the bullseye.  Ion Poe can dodge all he wants, and toss out chip damage and maybe a lucky Ion, where upon Poe can pounce with a range 1 4-dice focus/TL open S-Foils primary attack.  ProtTorp Poe is Init 6 Redline: anyone you want to eat a fully-modded torpedo will eat a fully-modded torpedo, and when you don't feel safe going for a Torp shot, you can dodge arcs far better than a Punisher.  It's all trade-offs, and that's interesting to me.

7 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

I kinda wonder, could it be 3 for a regular BB, and 5 for BB-8?  Would that be too cheap?  Would being too cheap be that bad, since there's only one ship they can go on, in a faction which only has 4 ships available period?

In some ways, I feel like the 'movie version' of a Poe build with BB-8 and Black One is cool, but there are so many movement tricks he can't use them all effectively, and would rather just toss on a boring old R4 Astromech for the blue hard turns.  It's not going to be bad for gameplay, but there's something heartwarming about Luke with R2-D2, Poe with BB-8.

9 hours ago, Arc170Chris said:

Wow, 3 generics? I guess since resistance has less ships overall, they're putting a lot more pilot options per ship? Looks like 3 generics and 5 uniques for the T-70... wow :) These combos look pretty cool. 

More pilots isn't always a balancing factor. The Imperials had way more pilots over Scum and Rebels yet at a point they were also the weakest faction (especially with pilots like Fel's Wrath). At first that was the balancing factor, Rebels had Upgrades so you can customize your ships, Imperials did not have the upgrade options but you had more pilot choices.

As for resistance well more choices in pilots but fewer and I do mean fewer ships. The cheapest ship is the T-70 X-wing and that is going to cost about the same as the Rebel Alliance X-wing with just maybe a few points over. Maybe the RZ-2 A-wing could be a little bit lighter on the point cost but it won't be anywhere near Z-95/TIEln price. So one of the ways to make up for the Resistance lack of ship options could be by adding more pilot options, but usually there is one pilot (or generic) that stands out and the rest are benched as they do not have the most optimal build for that model.

10 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Because obviously it's the exact same people making those comments ?

Also, it's possible to like Poe's character but also believe both films made mistakes with him.

Personally, the Takodana scene they use to demonstrate Poe's abilities in TFA goes straight into bull**** territory. It's too much. It's too big a strain on my suspension of disbelief. It's not so much Poe's skill as it is suicidal First Order pilots throwing themselves in front of his guns. 

I know we have the movie making technology to make things look better and cooler now, but this is a much better demonstration of what actual piloting skill would like, to my eyes at least. 

And it's a shame because I really like Poe as a character in TFA. He's funny, hes's genuine. he's believable and he has great chemistry with the other characters. 

And then in TLJ, it all gets flipped. Stupid jokes aside, the opening scene is a great way to show Poe's piloting skill in a way I can actually believe. The Tallon roll / SLAM / BSG drift thing is awesome and he takes out the turrets by flying a logical course. Then the rest of the film absolutely wastes all that entertaining character and great chemistry by having him sit around a ship all film not doing anything except ****ing things up (justifiably, I have to say - I'm definitely way more team Poe than team Holdo). I'm not saying it isn't better for characters to make mistakes and have to grow, but TLJ's presentation in Poe's specific case is very lacking. The film obviously wants us to think he was in the wrong, but in both cases (the attack and the mutiny) I don't think they did a very convincing job. They would have been dead in minutes if Poe hadn't kept up the attack on the dreadnought, and Holdo was absolutely appalling as a crisis commander. 

Anyway, enough ranting. 

Poe looks absolutely awesome. I was perfectly content not converting my very limited Resistance stuff, but seeing what Poe can do with BB-8 and Black One is reversing that a bit. I don't care if it's not competitive or too points expensive, it looks fun. 

I like that they've upped the roster to match the T-65 count, though it does make me a little sad that half of the T-65's pilots are Saw's Renegades. Seeing that Black Ace generic makes me wish more than ever we could have a Rogue Squadron Ace generic on the T-65, and be flying Wes Janson and Hobbie instead of Leevan Tenza and Kullbee Sperado. 

I thought FFG said we'd be getting Red Ace and Blue Ace back as the subtitles? Maybe they were talking about the TIE/fo callsigns but I was expecting Joph and Kare to have that little reference to 1e. I guess their abilities make it obvious, but still. 

Tubbs is an interesting one. His existence almost certainly precludes Wingman from ever returning as a talent, which is a bit of a shame. It was rarely worth it in 1e, but at the right cost I think it could have had a place in 2e's stress play. 

I feel I have to share my two favourite comments on him from the reddit thread:

Spank me harder, Daddy Tubbs!

relaxing stress removal

Is it just me or does "Jaycris Tubbs" sound more like the name of a football player from Louisiana than a pilot from Star wars?

He's already cemented in my mind as being Daddy Tubbs now...