Sign in to follow this  
Green Knight

Nordics (nationals) 2018

The nationals for the Nordic countries will take place in Stockholm, Sweden on Sunday 28th October.

There are currently 24 players signed on to the event (max 32), which is a little less than last year in Denmark (about 30 players IIRC).

We will play 4 rounds of Swiss, no cut (same as last year). This is a good format IMO - more games are always better OC, but as a 1-day event w/o cut 4 rounds is enough.

I will try to take some pics and report from my games once the event is over.

...hmm, I really should settle on a final list and stop theorycrafting! :D

14 minutes ago, chieftom22 said:

Dang, wish I would've known this. I'm located in Norway and I have off this weekend! ?

There are 8 places left.

There is a good hotel deal. But plane tickets are probably through the roof this close to the date.

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/233761264014124/

FB Sweden https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381379175494992/?ref=bookmarks

FB Denmark https://www.facebook.com/groups/100131363667695/?ref=bookmarks

15 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

How could it be 'Nationals' if there are multiple countries involved?

Did FFG fail at geography?

Anyway, I'll be arriving a day late and a krona short.

National-s is naturally plural ?

Probably because each country has a population equivalent of a decent metropolitan area.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

National-s is naturally plural ?

Probably because each country has a population equivalent of a decent metropolitan area.

That's not how the competition works!

It doesn't react to proper grammar. That would be logical, and this is about competition using American competitive terminology!

Americans barely let Canadians compete in World Championships for American pro sports. I know the Nordics are more socially inclined, but a line has to be drawn against   ....!

against....?

Oh, right!  Communism!

Nationals must only have one nation (under God) with liberty and Communism for none!

Get with the program, dammit!

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

Yes, this is true.

Still do Swedes and Norwegians really want the Danes running away with things?

Or do the Danes get beat up on in the Nordic nationals?

9 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Yes, this is true.

Still do Swedes and Norwegians really want the Danes running away with things?

Or do the Danes get beat up on in the Nordic nationals?

Last year in Denmark it was 1 Norwegian (me) and two Swedes on top 4.

I think maybe a Swede won the year before. Not sure, didn't go.

But the Danes have the larger, more active community. So I bet they are prepared this year!

2 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Then let's avoid to talk about Spain or UK Nationals?

Indeed, the term 'nation' is a horrible one. It's really hard to teach American students that - in social science terms - it doesn't actually mean 'country' - and I frequently use Spain and the UK as examples, where there is one sovereign state, but a number of different 'nations', and that this fact puts pressure on the sovereign state's togetherness.

But what is the structure of Armada championships in Spain?

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Last year in Denmark it was 1 Norwegian (me) and two Swedes on top 4.

I think maybe a Swede won the year before. Not sure, didn't go.

But the Danes have the larger, more active community. So I bet they are prepared this year!

I still have to actively search for a Armada community that will be in my area-to-be. (My Armada gear just finally cleared customs this last night, and I'll be arriving next week.) But from what I've seen online (Facebook), the tabletop scene is really dominated by Games Workshop addicts.

Would you mind doing me a solid and asking around if anyone lives in the Örebro area, and how to connect to their local player network?

26 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Indeed, the term 'nation' is a horrible one. It's really hard to teach American students that - in social science terms - it doesn't actually mean 'country' - and I frequently use Spain and the UK as examples, where there is one sovereign state, but a number of different 'nations', and that this fact puts pressure on the sovereign state's togetherness.

Even between UK and Spain, nation has a very different meaning.

26 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

There is just one National (the Spanish one), we Andalusian didn't make our own yet but with your support to the cause, maybe...?

Edited by ovinomanc3r

4 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I still have to actively search for a Armada community that will be in my area-to-be. (My Armada gear just finally cleared customs this last night, and I'll be arriving next week.) But from what I've seen online (Facebook), the tabletop scene is really dominated by Games Workshop addicts.

Would you mind doing me a solid and asking around if anyone lives in the Örebro area, and how to connect to their local player network?

Seems there is a community in Västerås. But that's about an hour's drive towards Stockholm.

There are tournaments in Uppsala, just north of Stockholm, but that's like over 2 hours away.

18 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Seems there is a community in Västerås. But that's about an hour's drive towards Stockholm.

There are tournaments in Uppsala, just north of Stockholm, but that's like over 2 hours away.

Is there a community around the Loop??

Completely off topic: I just got into Things From the Flood.

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Västerås can certainly be an option. It will be about an hour and a half from where I'll be living. Örebro is also about an hour's drive south of me. Seeing as I'll be living in the boonies, the fact that I'll have a longer distance to drive is just assumed at this point.

But, I do aim to convert the local GW heathens, so maybe you'll be hearing about me hosting tournaments in a year or so as I build a community (provided I have the time and energy, and am not boiled in a large pot by the natives).

Hello, I'm in Västerås. It isnt a big community but we play every week and are introducing more people from the local wargaming club . I arranged a small tourney this summer and there is atleast 2 people from Örebro area who showed up, I tagged the guys in Green Knights Facebook post.

Edited by Grand Moff Deadblom

On 10/25/2018 at 11:34 PM, Grand Moff Deadblom said:

Hello, I'm in Västerås. It isnt a big community but we play every week and are introducing more people from the local wargaming club . I arranged a small tourney this summer and there is atleast 2 people from Örebro area who showed up, I tagged the guys in Green Knights Facebook post.

Thank you!

I found that FB post and replied to it. I also FB friend requested the guy who responded. Hopefully that's not too forward, but it sounds like the Armada community in that area needs all the help it can get. As I just posted in that thread, I'll actually be living up in the Lindesberg area. So, it'll be a bit of a commute, and I will have to work on converting the locals to the true Armada way.

I've done a lot of Armada organizing here in Portland, Oregon (where I have been living), but that's easy in a big nerdy city (where I already speak the local language).

Anyway, back to our scheduled programming:

5 hours ago, Green Knight said:

We are soon ready to begin.

24 people signed up, but 1 player dropped - he got into the X-wing top cut after I dropped. Hope he does well.

I see a lot of Empire and large ships, but also Thrawn, rebels and squads.

Excellent! Keep us posted!