Monkeyshine77

Conversion Kit Critique

A bit late I know but I just had the opportunity to go through the Rebel and S&V kits along with the 2.0 core.

So I am a fan of the new rules. While some ships look a little over or under powered for the point cost there seems to be ways of making them work which is refreshing.

For the most part I am happy with the conversion kits (though I was shorted a peg for the medium based ships in the Rebel kit). My main 2 gripes are 1 lack of the new tokens (i.e. shield, focus, ect.). The other is not providing enough base tokens to run Han and Chewie. REALLY. As the kits cost $50 I don't think adding 2 more sheets of cardboard for the tokens and bases would have killed them. With so much information being taken off of the base in 2.0 why keep initiative and names on them at all? They have the number markers to keep track of who's who. Intentional or not, it comes across as a cheap cash grab in some respects.

As for a work around I'm planning on recycling some of my 1.0 stuff and simply make my own bases. I may do the same with some dials as I have some unused 2.0 dials. A copier and some glue and I'm good to go.

Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone else have different ones and want to prove me wrong?

11 minutes ago, Monkeyshine77 said:

A bit late I know but I just had the opportunity to go through the Rebel and S&V kits along with the 2.0 core.

So I am a fan of the new rules. While some ships look a little over or under powered for the point cost there seems to be ways of making them work which is refreshing.

For the most part I am happy with the conversion kits (though I was shorted a peg for the medium based ships in the Rebel kit). My main 2 gripes are 1 lack of the new tokens (i.e. shield, focus, ect.). The other is not providing enough base tokens to run Han and Chewie. REALLY. As the kits cost $50 I don't think adding 2 more sheets of cardboard for the tokens and bases would have killed them. With so much information being taken off of the base in 2.0 why keep initiative and names on them at all? They have the number markers to keep track of who's who. Intentional or not, it comes across as a cheap cash grab in some respects.

As for a work around I'm planning on recycling some of my 1.0 stuff and simply make my own bases. I may do the same with some dials as I have some unused 2.0 dials. A copier and some glue and I'm good to go.

Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone else have different ones and want to prove me wrong?

All of us are having these sorts of issues to some extent. You also missed one of my gripes, which is that Barrage Rockets are only in the Imperial kit.

Honestly, I don't think those of us that are converting were the primary focus when they decided which tokens to put in the various boxes, or they expected us to simply reuse tokens from 1st edition. Most of them translate just fine, other than that any references to "round tokens" have to be taken into account with certain things like stress (I think they mostly refer to green, orange, and red tokens in the rules, though, so not a huge issue). Shields are also easy, just put some red sharpie on one side of the token.

As far as the bases, that's a harder struggle. For casual play, I could see doing what you describe. You'll have to be careful to get all the lines correct but I'm sure anyone could manage that reasonably well.

Good thing on dials is some of them didn't change. TIE Fighter dials are exactly the same, some of the others are as well. It's manageable but not perfect.

In essence, yes, we are having similar experiences. One piece of good news is that ships that have been released are at least better about the shield tokens and including tokens that weren't in the core (like reinforce in the Firespray pack). Unless I completely missed it, though, some of the expansions (Firespray) don't come with ID tokens which is really annoying considering that for tourney play, you are technically required to have ID tokens and that they are partnered with lock tokens. You can use indicators from 1st edition or acrylics if you have them but it's still a bit frustrating.

Edited by CaptainIxidor

Part of me is glad I'm not alone, but the other part of me was hoping to be proven wrong.

None of my gripes are deal breakers, but having been a long time consumer of FFG there seems to be a bit of a shift from customer service to making more money. Before I get flooded with a bunch of PM's reminding me that FFG is a company and they need to make money I am aware of this and harber no ill will towards them for this. I'm just making an observation that be the take over/merger I would have expected those few extra components in the kits.

You're a bit late, but there has been many complaints about the conversion kits. Many of us were complaining about this since July when the the conversion kit contents were leaked to try and get FFG to change things, but the general community and the podcasters were so caught up in the hype for 2.0 and hatred for 1.0 that they shouted us down or ignored us.

Other issues with the conversion kits include:

• Not enough generic pilot bases/cards to match the dials advertised (3 A-Wing dials but only 2 Phoenix/Green pilots, etc.)
  • Key upgrade cards missing from the kits, the most notable ones being the Moldy Crow title from Scum kits, Barrage Rockets and Maul from Rebel kits and 000/BT-1 from Imperial kits.
  • Not inclding Afterburners which only comes as 1 copy in the Core set.
  • Not including upgrade cards from the Scum-only Falcon expansion like Composure and Agile Gunner.

Scum HWK players in particular are in a bad way since the Moldy Crow is basically a staple on the HWK and only people that bought multiple Rebel conversion kits are going to have extra copies so they are hard to find right now. 

The kits aren't all bad, I'd say they deliver about 80% of the value they advertise, but those missing and short printed components are major pain points for the people that are sticking to one faction in 2.0.

I agree with all that has been stated so far, but I also feel like some ships have been intentionally left below the power curve to encourage sales of the card only packs when they rerelease. The two poster boys for this are the B and the A-Wing, who clearly are going to have some more diverse, possibly higher IV pilots in their expansion packs, but it also looks like they may be saving some interceptor pilots for the packs as well. It's kind of annoying, but depending on how cheap the cardboard only packs end up being, I don't think it's that big of a deal.