Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Animewarsdude

Force Upgrade Speculation

Recommended Posts

Haven't seen anyone discuss this that much so figured I'd go ahead and throw this stuff out here. Does anyone have any possible upgrade ideas, especially Dark and Lightside ones. Throwing some ideas out there here are a few that I came up with.

Anger (Darkside): When you gain a stress token you may recover 1 Force.

Heightened Focus (Lightside): At the start of the engagement phase you may spend 1 Force to gain 1 Focus token.

Force Shield: At the start of the engagement phase you may spend 1 Force to gain 1 Reinforce token. 

Has anyone else given this some thought? What kinds of abilities would you like to see? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BrotherFett said:

Are light side abilities mentioned somewhere? It makes sense I guess!

No but Maul's crew card mentions taking Darkside force upgrades so it would stand to reason there would be lightside ones too. I am curious to see how they limit them, like will darkside abilities be limited to faction? If not I wonder how they might have it so that they can be taken by darkside force users but not light side ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I'd reword it to use ALL your force tokens for a reinforce. Otherwise, there's the possibility you're left with extra force tokens to modify dice which could be a bit too powerful. So, since this is all theoretical, let's just say an Asohka pilot has 2 force and Anakin has a 5 force rating both in Jedi Starfighters. Now if we go with your idea, Asohka uses her 2 and gets the reinforce, which is pretty **** good for a small base ship and can't use anymore Force to modify her dice. Anakin, on the other hand, would still have 3 left over for dice mods on top of a reinforce token. I'd almost want to make it a stressful action as well, otherwise, yeah, the ability would be stupid over powered.

as for my take?

Light side - battlefield meditation: pick up to 2 friendly ships at range 0-3 and remove 1 stress token from each ship. For each token removed, exhaust 1 Force token and receive a weapons disabled token

Neutral - "Clouded the future is" (or something like that) 1 charge w/ no recharge - At the beginning of the System Phase, spend 1 charge and 1 Force. At the beginning of the Activation phase, treat your Initiative as 7. When you activate, you may change your maneuver dial and increase it's difficulty. At the beginning of the Engagement phase, treat your Initiative as normal. (Meaning as it's printed or if there are any other effects that change it's value).

Dark Side - Force Lighting - Any enemy ship at range 0 receives 1 damage and 1 ion token. You may spend 1 Force token to target an enemy ship at range 1 or 2 Force to target a ship at range 2. If you do, that ship suffers 1 damage and receives 1 Ion token. Then you receive 1 stress token.

These MIGHT be a bit powerful... thoughts? Comments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thespaceinvader said:

I wondered about 'May spend one force for one evade or hit per attack'. No idea a what to call it tho and it would be v expensive.

Isn't that kinda what Force tokens do by default? Granted it's only for Focus... maybe call it "Clear Mind" to change a blank to a hit or evade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Eh, I'd reword it to use ALL your force tokens for a reinforce. Otherwise, there's the possibility you're left with extra force tokens to modify dice which could be a bit too powerful. So, since this is all theoretical, let's just say an Asohka pilot has 2 force and Anakin has a 5 force rating both in Jedi Starfighters. Now if we go with your idea, Asohka uses her 2 and gets the reinforce, which is pretty **** good for a small base ship and can't use anymore Force to modify her dice. Anakin, on the other hand, would still have 3 left over for dice mods on top of a reinforce token. I'd almost want to make it a stressful action as well, otherwise, yeah, the ability would be stupid over powered.

Based off what we've so far the max Force a ship can have is 3, so it would be more like Anakin getting a free Evade or Reinforce action and then having either 2 or 1 Calculate tokens that he could spend. Of course I could be wrong and we will see the Republic with the Jedi in their prime with them getting more overall Force than the other 5 factions. 

5 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Light side - battlefield meditation: pick up to 2 friendly ships at range 0-3 and remove 1 stress token from each ship. For each token removed, exhaust 1 Force token and receive a weapons disabled token

I like that, nice good support themed ability.

7 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Dark Side - Force Lighting - Any enemy ship at range 0 receives 1 damage and 1 ion token. You may spend 1 Force token to target an enemy ship at range 1 or 2 Force to target a ship at range 2. If you do, that ship suffers 1 damage and receives 1 Ion token. Then you receive 1 stress token.

This is actually something I've been trying to think about by trying to base it on the ability from Jedi Starfighter. Something like spending 1 Force to have a ship in your firing arc at range 2-3 suffer 1 damage and receive an ion token, and you can spend 1 additional Force to give 1 ion token to all ships at 0-1 of the ship you damaged. But that feel rather powerful, with the only real downside that you would damage your own ships if they were in range of it. Maybe because the pilot is focusing on this 'auto attack' in either of our versions they gain a disarm token to represent that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely no lightside force ability should cause damage. I know the whole gameplay>fluff garbage but come on. Now what I could get behind is spend a force and remove a stress or ion token, use a force and lower the difficulty of any maneuver 1 step, spend a force and look at one non darkside dial and you may change the bearing but not speed of your move after reveal.

Also with darkside, damage is ok but boring. Why not use a force add an attack range to a secondary (up or down 1), use a force per die on opponent (before rolling with an all or nothing clause) the dice cannot be modified, use a force to increase the difficulty of any manuever 1 step and execute it twice ignoring stress restrictions for the second but gaining 2 stress off a double red move.

Just some ideas before bed.

Edited by LordFajubi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Force Push - chose one asteroid or debris at range 1 within your primary arc and move it using the range one template.  

That would be brutal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see a cheapish upgrade that flips a blank to hit (Dark Side) or a blank to evade (Light Side). Sure, it would be amazing on Luke, but the opportunity cost of giving up Supernatural Reflexes is decidedly unamazing, and it would be a great little trick for pilots like the generic Inquisitor.

I'd also want to see variably costed upgrades depending on force charges. Supernatural Reflexes at 4/8/12 could be a thing (just increase Luke's base cost if need be), and would make it playable on pocket Sith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My view is more general rather than specific-

Light Side powers: Focused on either healing or preventing damage, balanced by making the charge cost more than one (thus making it harder to heal each turn, requiring a turn or more in between heals to replenish charges).

Dark Side powers: Focused on causing damage and/or negative modifiers (stress, jam, ion, etc...) to enemies, balanced by requiring the user to be damaged to activate, taking damage from activation, or taking stress from activation (I hurt you, I hurt myself-style hijinks).

General Force powers- Focused on general ability buffs and/or mechanical changes, simply requiring use of Force charges.

Edited by Ikka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spamdex said:

Jedi mind trick! 

Choose an opponent's ship and when it moves increase or decrease it's manoeuvre by 1 

Jedi Mind Trick: when you are targeted by an attack, you may spend 1 force. Your opponent must choose another target for the attack. If no other friendly ships are in play you cannot use this upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

Absolutely no lightside force ability should cause damage. I know the whole gameplay>fluff garbage but come on.

But didn't Luke use the force to murder thousands of poor souls on the death star?  At the very least, that was a face up damage card which turned into a lucky chain, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Haven't seen anyone discuss this that much so figured I'd go ahead and throw this stuff out here. Does anyone have any possible upgrade ideas, especially Dark and Lightside ones. Throwing some ideas out there here are a few that I came up with.

Anger (Darkside): When you gain a stress token you may recover 1 Force.

Heightened Focus (Lightside): At the start of the engagement phase you may spend 1 Force to gain 1 Focus token.

Force Shield: At the start of the engagement phase you may spend 1 Force to gain 1 Reinforce token. 

Has anyone else given this some thought? What kinds of abilities would you like to see? 

I really like anger, but do we really want force shield on Luke Skywalker.... In general Luke will break a lot of force abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I wondered about 'May spend one force for one evade or hit per attack'. No idea a what to call it tho and it would be v expensive.

What about spend a force to turn a blank to an eyeball? Would still be expensive, but not absurdly so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...