Elkerlyc

Recommended Squad for a newb?

Tomorrow I will have someone over who has not played X-wing for several years.

(Yeah, I know. Shocking. working on it)

What squad would you recommend I give him to fly and properly 'taste' 2.0?

And flying against what?

Input much appreciated.

Run right through the standard learning games.

Start with two generic ties versus a generic x wing, no actions, no rocks, just getting used to the manoeuvres and the core concept of 'aim at where they're going to be'.

WHen they get bored, add actions and rocks to the mix.

Once it starts stalemating, let them pick a 100 point squad of pilots (no upgrades) from their chocie of faction, you do the same, and go from there.

I like doing just simple games, with generics, and half the normal squad points, to get comfortable with moving, actions, and the order of things. two x wings vs 4 ties tends to work out pretty even, and leaves room to tack on some torps for the x-wings, and maybe juke or crack shot on the ties.  after switching between those two squads for a couple games, I basically just hand my playmate my cell so they can put together whatever they want on the squad builder. 

It sounds like the guy coming over has played 1.0 but not for several years.  I think he'd probably be bored playing the intro-level stuff some of the other folks are recommending.  I'd make some fairly simple but diverse squadrons that are fun and have a variety of abilities and effects, but no crazy synergistic combos with too many upgrade triggers to remember.

If you want to expose him to what the new ship types are like, put one of each in a squad.  For rebels, maybe a 4 ship list with an X, Y, A, and a B.  You can fit Jek, Dutch, Jake, and Ten in one list and give them some toys to play with.  They're all Pilot Initiative 4, for easy formation flying.  

For the Imperials, have a little of the old stuff that hasn't changed, like a couple of Academy Ties.  Throw in some familiar faces that have changed a bit, like Soontir or a Lambda.  Finally have a ship or two from the later waves of 1.0, like a striker or aggressor.  Throw on a couple of upgrades and you're good to go.  You'll have some ships who move before the Rebels, and some aces who move after.

These lists are more of a "ship salad" than a cohesive, competitive squadron, but they will show off a lot of what the new edition has to offer.

Lt Sai in St321 with Vader and all 4 of the inferno ties nekkid fit into a 200 point list. It's not particularly awesome, but it is fun to put on the table and my god it feels and looks starwarsy. Fly it against 2 x wings and a falcon of some flavor maybe? I'd say for 2e, definitely avoid big piles of upgrade cards. If you want, sub out Versio and rotate Howlrunner in. Same points, different effect.

Edited by JasonCole
howlrunner advice

10 hours ago, MikeEvans said:

It sounds like the guy coming over has played 1.0 but not for several years.  I think he'd probably be bored playing the intro-level stuff some of the other folks are recommending.  I'd make some fairly simple but diverse squadrons that are fun and have a variety of abilities and effects, but no crazy synergistic combos with too many upgrade triggers to remember.

If you want to expose him to what the new ship types are like, put one of each in a squad.  For rebels, maybe a 4 ship list with an X, Y, A, and a B.  You can fit Jek, Dutch, Jake, and Ten in one list and give them some toys to play with.  They're all Pilot Initiative 4, for easy formation flying.  

For the Imperials, have a little of the old stuff that hasn't changed, like a couple of Academy Ties.  Throw in some familiar faces that have changed a bit, like Soontir or a Lambda.  Finally have a ship or two from the later waves of 1.0, like a striker or aggressor.  Throw on a couple of upgrades and you're good to go.  You'll have some ships who move before the Rebels, and some aces who move after.

These lists are more of a "ship salad" than a cohesive, competitive squadron, but they will show off a lot of what the new edition has to offer.

I think I will go with this one.

Thanks all for your responses. Fly casual and have fun while doing so

17 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Run right through the standard learning games.

Start with two generic ties versus a generic x wing, no actions, no rocks, just getting used to the manoeuvres and the core concept of 'aim at where they're going to be'.

WHen they get bored, add actions and rocks to the mix.

Once it starts stalemating, let them pick a 100 point squad of pilots (no upgrades) from their chocie of faction, you do the same, and go from there.

This guy gets it. 

Maybe move on to the quick start prebuilt squads before you do actual list building. 

Give them something with lots of pew pew.  ;)

Seriously, start with numbers over upgrades.  More ships on the board, less things to remember while playing, so they can concentrate on moving and actions.

A four ship Rebel - XXXX, XXBB, XXAA or similar against amid range Imperial swarm should do it.  Maybe one Ace each side, the rest generics.  After a game or two, once the basics are down you can introduce upgrades to the mix.

On 10/19/2018 at 7:41 AM, JJ48 said:

This sounds like a job for...

Quick Build Cards!

Exactly, while having no obstacles and a smaller point limit does allow you to get familiar to the mechanics it doesn't really give you enough to get a sense of the rules and interactions. I mean if you never played a table top game before in your life then sure it is a good place to start, but it doesn't give you a feel for the standard formats.

I would start with 8 threat vs 8 threat and each take turns placing the asteroids (you can mix in debris clouds later). That should give you a better feel for a complete game and once you learn the nuances of movement and attacks and mechanics then open into making your own lists. You can switch out the prebuild ships before just to get a taste of what the ships fly like and which upgrades do what before you go into build your own list.