Sign in to follow this  
jediMasterLenny

Rule book?

2 hours ago, jediMasterLenny said:

When should we expect things like the rule book posted and the rules video?

Best guess is after Arkham Nights (this Friday & Saturday).  It should hit shelves next Thursday, so really any day now.

How stupid is it to now have the rule book posted before it hits retail? They used to be great about releasing the rules first. I want to read the rules to know if I want the game. I hope this doesn't become their new MO.

Going by typical FFG "Shipping Now" status, I was expecting to get my Pre-Order shipping notice Monday or yesterday, with an expected delivery of today (as per past pre-orders), but still no word. Did anyone  get their pre-order shipping info email?

14 minutes ago, JasonMFlow said:

Going by typical FFG "Shipping Now" status, I was expecting to get my Pre-Order shipping notice Monday or yesterday, with an expected delivery of today (as per past pre-orders), but still no word. Did anyone  get their pre-order shipping info email?

I was thinking (hoping) the same thing.  However, I haven't received any emails yet.  Are we sure it comes out tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, spawn98c said:

I was thinking (hoping) the same thing.  However, I haven't received any emails yet.  Are we sure it comes out tomorrow?

We're never sure around here. :)

But I think we were all operating under the assumption that it would follow typical FFG timelines once it switched to Shipping Now. But they haven't given an actual Release Date, so it could be  pushed back a week.

Yup.  We think that it releases tomorrow.

'Cause I don't have anywhere else to put this, I'm going to reproduce a piece of the Rulebook here.  (Well, 1 of the 6 handy player reference cards (all identical) that come with the game.  It was all I could smuggle into work.)

Player Actions

Some components have Actions: on them.

• *While engaged with a monster, you can only focus, attack, or evade.
  • Move:  Move up to two spaces.  Spend up to $2 to move that many additional spaces.
  • Gather Resources:  Gain $1.
  • *Focus:  Focus one skill of your choice.
  • Ward: Test LORE (book) to remove doom equal to your test result from your space.  If you remove two or more, you gain one remnant.
  • *Attack: Engage one monster in your space.  Test STRENGTH (upper body) to deal damage equal to your test result (the number of success rolled).
  • *Evade:  Test OBSERVATION (eye) to disengage and exhaust monsters equal to your test result.  If you evade all, perform one additional action.
  • Research:  Test OBSERVATION (eye) to place clues equal to your test result on the scenario sheet.
  • Trade:  Exchange any number of possessions with other investigators in your space.
  • Some components have Actions: on them.
    • *While engaged with a monster, you can only focus, attack, or evade.

Clarifications.

• If you move into a space containing a monster that is not Evasive, it engages you and you end your movement.
  • A focus token is a permanent +1 bonus to a specific skill.  You can have a number of focus tokens up to your Focus Limit - different for every investigator.  You cannot have more than 1 focus token for the same skill.  You can discard a focus token to reroll 1 die on your test.
  • You cannot attack more than 1 enemy during an attack action.
  • If you successfully research, you move clue tokens you've previously gathered from encounters (or other means) from your inventory to the scenario sheet.  It is the primary good way to advance the story.
  • You can trade clues in 3.0.

Reverse:

1. Action Phase

You perform up to two actions.  (You can perform each action no more than once per round.  While engaged with a monster, you can only focus, attack, or evade.)

2. Monster Phase

1. Each ready monster activates, usually by moving.  (A monster that moves into your space engages you.)
  2. Each engaged monster deals damage and horror to the investigator it is engaged with.
  3. Each exhausted monster readies.

3. Encounter Phase

You draw and resolve an encounter matching your space (unless you are engaged with a monster).

4. Mythos Phase

You draw two tokens from the myths cup and resolve their effects on at a time.  (All investigators do this in player order.)

You do not have a preset order for taking turns during the Action phase.  Instead, you have activation tokens that you flip - one of which is the lead investigator's token.

Cards (including Codex cards) will break every one of the above rules.

Token Size

Tokens (Mythos Cup, Objectives, Activations) are ∅25.0mm, for those of you who coin capsule your tokens.  I brought 1 in and used my calipers on it.

Edited by Duciris
I said Aloof (AH:LCG holdover) not Evasive

Also, you are not able to break up a move action, such as move one space, ward (remove a doom off of the space) then move another space.  In other words, you must complete your move action before you start your next action.  I picked up a pre-release copy of it at Arkham Nights.  Really digging it.  Only played one of the four scenarios (twice -- we lost both times, but still want to play it again).

51 minutes ago, MGlas1 said:

Also, you are not able to break up a move action, such as move one space, ward (remove a doom off of the space) then move another space.  In other words, you must complete your move action before you start your next action.  I picked up a pre-release copy of it at Arkham Nights.  Really digging it.  Only played one of the four scenarios (twice -- we lost both times, but still want to play it again).

I don't think I could have picked one up due to baggage issues (and I already have it pre-ordered), but where was it available to buy? Just at the counter? I'm just curious because I missed the chance despite being there. I didn't ask though, I just assumed the demo copies with the Azathoth set-up baked into the playmat meant it wasn't ready quite yet. I don't mean to divert the conversation, just curious. I'm anxious to see the rulebook.

Edited by Soakman

58 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I don't think I could have picked one up due to baggage issues (and I already have it pre-ordered), but where was it available to buy? Just at the counter? I'm just curious because I missed the chance despite being there. I didn't ask though, I just assumed the demo copies with the Azathoth set-up baked into the playmat meant it wasn't ready quite yet. I don't mean to divert the conversation, just curious. I'm anxious to see the rulebook.

Yup.  They had them at the front.  They punctured your name badge so that you could only buy one copy.  They came with the pre-order book.

They only had 300 copies and 317 pre-registrations (for AN'18), but they didn't expect everyone to buy a copy.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:54 AM, Zsig said:

It seems the game will be released by november 1st.

Plenty of time for them to post the rules before retail.

Be patient.

Eight days later and the day that many people who ordered direct from FFG are getting deliveries and still no rules posted. If anyone felt like even taking pictures with their phone and making an imgur album (or even better scanning the rule book into pdf) it would be appreciated at this point. Somewhat disappointing that FFG hasn't gotten around to posting them officially yet :(

Edited by Magistrix

Game is out in Europe, you can go in a store and buy it now.
Ordered it online though for convinence. Hopefully get it on Friday.

But WTF FF? Post the **** rulebook, the game is out!

Edited by BulletBill09

9 hours ago, BulletBill09 said:

Game is out in Europe, you can go in a store and buy it now.
Ordered it online though for convinence. Hopefully get it on Friday.

But WTF FF? Post the **** rulebook, the game is out!

Completely agree.  I can't see any benefit when people are online posting rules questions and everyone else is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯