Sign in to follow this  
sabrjay

Daisy deck for Arkham Nights

Here is what I've come up with for a Daisy deck for Arkham Nights in a few days. It uses cards from the core set, Dunwhich, Misk Museum, Essex Express and Blood on the Altar with 18 pts of exp.

Daisy's Tote, Necronomicron and Psychosis for the extra weakness.

Mystic cards: 

Ward of Protection, Song of the Dead (2), Shirvelling (2) (3xp), Ritual Candles (2), Scrying, Holy Rosary

Seeker cards:

Medical Text, Old Book of Lore, Dr Millan Christopher, Research Librarian, Lab Asst (2), Hyperawareness, I've Got a Plan (2), Mind over Matter, Shortcut (2), Deduction (2) (2xp)

white cards:

Unexpected Courage (2), Guts, Manual Dexterity (2), Emergency Cache (2) (2xp)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, the only cards I have access to are the ones I listed. I'm still fairly new to the game.

I would really, very highly  recommend St. Hubert's Key on Daisy,  probably in place of Holy Rosary or ritual candles (I'm not a huge fan of ritual candles...).      I've found St Hubert's Key to be a massive boon when I play daisy.  

I think sabrjay is going 1 core, so that is probably why a few less books for daisy.    Anyway, you could consider a ward of protection (2xp) to get another ward of protection around,  those are very useful cards to have.  Magnifying glass is another good card to put in your deck if you can.

I don't think Song of the Dead is great in Daisy.  The way it works, its much more of a Jim Culver signature card.  Shriveling and Rite of Seeking at basic levels are better for Daisy, even Mist of Ry'leh if you have that card if you want to just focus on clue gathering rather than fighting. 

Ultimately, using any spell casting Daisy build begs for Book of Shadows (1) from Unspeakable Oath.  With Daisy's free Tome action, you get a free(action-wise, still costs 1 resource) charge on one of your spells every turn. 

Edited by C2K

3 hours ago, C2K said:

Ultimately, using any spell casting Daisy build begs for Book of Shadows (1) from Unspeakable Oath.  With Daisy's free Tome action, you get a free(action-wise, still costs 1 resource) charge on one of your spells every turn. 

But the book of shadows costs so much resources to play. I never came to include this card into one of my decks

24 minutes ago, Raahk said:

But the book of shadows costs so much resources to play. I never came to include this card into one of my decks

Its only 3 Resources.  That is the same amount of resources you will pay for Old Book of Lore.  Perhaps you are thinking of the Level 3 Book of Shadows that Daisy can't play.

Costs of Spells are also mitigated with Uncage the Soul. 

9 hours ago, sabrjay said:

Here is what I've come up with for a Daisy deck for Arkham Nights in a few days. It uses cards from the core set, Dunwhich, Misk Museum, Essex Express and Blood on the Altar with 18 pts of exp.

Daisy's Tote, Necronomicron and Psychosis for the extra weakness.

Mystic cards: 

Ward of Protection, Song of the Dead (2), Shirvelling (2) (3xp), Ritual Candles (2), Scrying, Holy Rosary

Seeker cards:

Medical Text, Old Book of Lore, Dr Millan Christopher, Research Librarian, Lab Asst (2), Hyperawareness, I've Got a Plan (2), Mind over Matter, Shortcut (2), Deduction (2) (2xp)

white cards:

Unexpected Courage (2), Guts, Manual Dexterity (2), Emergency Cache (2) (2xp)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, the only cards I have access to are the ones I listed. I'm still fairly new to the game.

Firstly, as others have mentioned, Daisy can only take up to level 2 Mystic cards so Shrivelling level 3 is unfortunately out of her reach. Let's replace one copy with the Shrivelling level 0 from the Core set and have a look at what else we can do with the 7xp and extra card that we have.

There's nothing else from the remaining Mystic cards that really jumps out at me. Maybe Arcane Initiate or Blinding Light, but with Daisy's willpower of 3 we'd probably need to be boosting it somehow.

For Seeker cards, I can't help but notice that you don't have a copy of Higher Education (Blood on the Altar). Being able to turn 1 resource into a +2 for intellect (investigating, attacking with "I've got a Plan") or willpower (spells) is incredible value and it starts in play. Granted, you need to keep 5 cards in hand but usually this isn't too much of a problem. This is definitely going in and it doesn't count towards deck size.

Encyclopedia (Core Set) is also an incredible card for Daisy because she can use it with her free Tome action to boost either her or another investigator's skill by +2 for the whole of the investigation phase. +2 willpower on spells tests, +2 intellect for hard to investigate locations, +2 combat for your friend who will hopefully be dealing with any monsters that turn up, the list goes on. This goes in too.

Medical Texts is, in my opinion, a trap card. You have to take another test (more chance of skulls, cultists, tablets, elder things) and if you fail you actually cause damage. Daisy's low health is an issue though, so let's cut Medical Texts and replace it with a copy of Painkillers (The Miskatonic Museum). Our allies and high sanity should be able to soak the horror.

Speaking of allies, we really want Dr. Milan in play at all times. However, if we don't have a tome we also want to be able to play the Research Librarian. So let's add a copy of Charisma (The Essex County Express). This doesn't count towards our deck size but it does  take us over the 19xp threshold. It's a shame, but let's replace one copy of Emergency Cache level 2 with its level 0 counterpart.

For skills, I think we want to be drawing through our deck where possible to find those single cards from the core set (Dr. Milan, Encyclopedia, Shrivelling, Holy Rosary). That means cutting Unexpected Courage and adding in two copies of Perception. While we probably don't need the icons we're very likely to be taking and succeeding at investigation tests, so this is almost equivalent to thinning our deck.

I think this is the minimum I would recommend for the deck, while trying to keep it as close as possible to the one you put together. However, if I was building this deck from scratch I'd also make the following changes:

• I prefer Flashlight to Ritual Candles. If I can lower the shroud of a location to 0 then only the Auto-fail token can cause the test to fail.
  • We're probably reliant on fellow investigators to deal with most enemies, so while Hyperawareness can help Evade tests we hopefully won't need to take many over the course of the game. I'd replace this with a copy of Pathfinder (The Miskatonic Museum). I've never been completely sold on Pathfinder, but so many people like it that I must be wrong!
  • For the same reason as Hyperawareness, I'd cut both copies of Manual Dexterity. I'd replace one with Guts for the card draw on success feature and the other with another copy of Painkillers. It would suck to be eliminated early on and five health is really not a lot to start with. Sadly we don't have enough xp for Bulletproof Vest, otherwise I'd try and get that in too.
  • If you have Undimensioned and Unseen you could also consider Inquiring Mind instead of Guts. I'm really not sure which I prefer.
  • If you want more chance of seeing your spells, then you could consider trading a Laboratory Assistant for an Arcane Initiate (Core Set). Again, I'm not sure which I prefer here.

You can see the deck with all the changes incorporated here: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/237319

Finally, at 19xp we'll be taking two random basic weaknesses. Check the event listings for whether you should draw these in advance or on the night when all players are gathered.

If you made it this far (this is a long post!) I hope you found this helpful. Good luck!

4 hours ago, BD Flory said:

You, uh, know you don't choose your extra weaknesses, right? And you shouldn't draw it until your deck is locked in (you don't get to make changes based on the weaknesses you draw).

OK, thanks. I've never played in this sort of setting, so any tips are useful.

Just now, sabrjay said:

why is that? Because she is a seeker?

Back of Daisys Card:

Deck size: 30.

Deckbuilding options: Seeker cards level 0-5, Mystic cards level 0-2, Neutral cards level 0-5.

Deckbuilding requirements (do not count toward deck size): Daisy’s Tote Bag, The Necronomicon (John Dee Translation), 1 random basic weakness.

1 hour ago, Assussanni said:

If you made it this far (this is a long post!) I hope you found this helpful. Good luck!

Great post and immensely helpful. Thanks!

I haven't seen anything from Arkham Nights if you are supposed to draw before at the event. Fortunately, I live 25 minutes away so I can bring all my stuff in my car.

Edited by sabrjay

If you have Undimensioned and Unseen you could also consider Inquiring Mind instead of Guts. I'm really not sure which I prefer.

Totally forgot I picked this up last weekend. It was sitting sealed on my gaming table. I will definitely add them. 

Assussanni's post is fantastic and full of great advice so I won't try to compete with it, but I have a bit of extra advice as well.

Since your deck will be very expensive and you already have great intellect, shroud 1-2 locations aren't going to be a problem for you anyway, so it might be better to replace the Flashlights with Magnifying Glasses - one level 0 and one level 1. To get the exp for that, I'd turn your other level 2 Emergency Cache into a level 0 version - you're saving multiple resources by doing this so you can afford to have a slightly weaker cache. You now have an extra exp left over, so I would recommend a second Pathfinder if you can find something to cut (maybe a copy of Perception).

The advice to avoid Medical Texts is spot on. Old Book of Lore and Encyclopedia really are the only worthwhile Tome assets.

Just now, sabrjay said:

Totally forgot I picked this up last weekend. It was sitting sealed on my gaming table. I will definitely add them.  

Its a hard call, Inquiring Minds is great and when you buff another players skill by 3, their jaw can drop.  That being said with only 1 core, having cards that cycle your deck might be better.

Plus if you are using Higher Education, you really do need that card draw.

Here is how I would do it with what you have 19XP.

Its similar to what you have but is very focused on finding clues and very weak on dealing with enemies.  I find any action I spend with Daisy taking care of enemies is an action wasted.  Almost every other team mate of yours will be better at dealing with enemies.  I also tried to get a fair amount of card draw so that you can get to those single copies of cards you have easier and more easily meet the minimum hand size for Higher Education.  The few cards that help with fighting are there as a last choice type of situation.

The neutral skills are there to cycle your deck quicker and help the other players as well as yourself.

Asset (4)
1x Charisma •••
1x Higher Education •••
2x Random Basic Weakness (because it is at 19XP)

12 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Almost every other team mate of yours will be better at dealing with enemies.

If you find yourself playing in a group with Carolyn, Ursula and Wendy and the scenario is full of Hunter enemies you know who to blame ?

That's a very nice deck. Personally, I think I'd try and fit 2x Painkillers in there somewhere. I find five starting health slightly terrifying.

I think Magnifying Glass instead of Flashlight is definitely a good call by those of you who suggested it.

I think Magnifying Glass instead of Flashlight is definitely a good call by those of you who suggested it.

I don't have two zero cost magnifying glass, so I swapped in that for a Flashlight. The only card I could drop to add the lvl 1 Magnifying Glass would be Pathfinder and not sure if that would be worth it.

4 hours ago, Jobu said:

Here is how I would do it with what you have 19XP.

Its similar to what you have but is very focused on finding clues and very weak on dealing with enemies.  I find any action I spend with Daisy taking care of enemies is an action wasted.  Almost every other team mate of yours will be better at dealing with enemies.  I also tried to get a fair amount of card draw so that you can get to those single copies of cards you have easier and more easily meet the minimum hand size for Higher Education.  The few cards that help with fighting are there as a last choice type of situation.

The neutral skills are there to cycle your deck quicker and help the other players as well as yourself.

Asset (4)
1x Charisma •••
1x Higher Education •••
2x Random Basic Weakness (because it is at 19XP)

I like it, but I would definitely consider trying to add Mists of Ry'leh in there for more monster avoidance. 

24 minutes ago, C2K said:

I like it, but I would definitely consider trying to add Mists of Ry'leh in there for more monster avoidance. 

Remember, he is only working with cards from: core set x1, Dunwich, Misk Museum, Essex Express and Blood on the Altar .

On 10/18/2018 at 8:05 AM, Jobu said:

Plus if you are using Higher Education, you really do need that card draw.

Just got back from day 2 of AN. I had fun with the deck. The first game I played with, it played almost perfectly and I was a clue gathering machine and even got to blow up a big nasty with two I Got A Plan. The thing had 8 health and I was able to was able to kill it. The last game I played was the opposite, When the scenario ended I only had 10 cards left in the deck and that was where all of my tomes and the Research Librarian were. We still managed to win the scenario called Labyrinths of Lunacy. It was very interesting because 3 groups played simultaneously. What happened to one group affected the other groups. We were one of the few during AN where all investigators survived the scenario.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, sabrjay said:

Just got back from day 2 of AN. I had fun with the deck. The first game I played with, it played almost perfectly and I was a clue gathering machine and even got to blow up a big nasty with two I Got A Plan. The thing had 8 health and I was able to was able to kill it. The last game I played was the opposite, When the scenario ended I only had 10 cards left in the deck and that was where all of my tomes and the Research Librarian were. We still managed to win the scenario called Labyrinths of Lunacy. It was very interesting because 3 groups played simultaneously. What happened to one group affected the other groups. We were one of the few during AN where all investigators survived the scenario.

Cool.  We survived Labyrinths as well.  My cousin ran my Leo Anderson deck and had a slow start, but dealt our big-bad 12 damage in each of 2 rounds with his lightning gun, plus 2 more when he was attacked by using a survival knife (and bandolier).  I ran my Ursula Downs deck and snagged clues while evading most things.

The Night’s Usurper, on the other hand, was a spectacular failure.  Really cool scenario, but we advanced from Act 2 to Act 3 at the end of the round and then at the start of the next round advanced the final Agenda.  We turned in those results, but we did play for more 8 more rounds.  We still could not win.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:26 AM, sabrjay said:

OK, thanks. I've never played in this sort of setting, so any tips are useful.

Just for the record, this is a normal game rule, not unique to arkham nights. You build your deck to completion before you draw any basic weaknesses, whether the one you receive as part of a normal level 0 deck, or any additional weaknesses gained from including experience in standalone mode.

The idea is you're not supposed to be able to compensate for your weakness(es) by adjusting your deck.