Sign in to follow this  
LostFleet

Dual Fleet for Tournaments

I never got used to playing Rebels vs Rebels or Empire vs Empire, for me it just looks wrong, same side fighting with each other. If I have to play it I would do it but I don't enjoy it as much.

For tournaments I wish each player came with one Empire and one Rebel fleet and as they progressed further at each step they will switch fleets from E to R or visa versa.

Normally I would be afraid to suggest this as it is quite expensive to have both fleets. However I just read a recent thread where players discussed their fleet size and oh boy, a lot of people had crazy fleet sizes. I know, people with a lot of ships contributed to that thread but still, serious players really do invest at all factions.

So maybe at bigger tournaments this could be applied or is it just me that is bothered with this?

It can also have effect on match-ups, if you're only playing Rebels vs Imperials...  It can take good players on one side and never have them meet a, excuse the term, "worthy" opponent, because they're all on the same side...

I feel there are times and places for purely Rebel vs Imperial Matchups...   Campaigns.  Story Days.  Those sorts of things.

But an actual competitive tournament, not so much.  That should be one player and his chosen fleet against the other, equally "capable" (or matched) opponent.  N other considerations.

I mean, don't get me wrong...  Hangar Bay was a growing staple on the X-Wing side of things...

I think the difference is, in Armada, we play relatively few games in our tournaments already, and breaking out of a Groove of one Fleet to play another due to Matchup is...  Very tricky, and a hard sell to people...

Now, I'm sure you could work up a Tournament Format where it works...  And I'm intruiged to try myself...   When I have a few moments....  

But certainly, it should be an Exception to Flavour, rather than the Norm.

Kind of like "Take the Station".

9 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

It can also have effect on match-ups, if you're only playing Rebels vs Imperials...  It can take good players on one side and never have them meet a, excuse the term, "worthy" opponent, because they're all on the same si

True, this could be problematic, 

I was thinking more of each player coming to a tournament with 2 fleets ( Rebel and Empire) and at the tournament either the organizer assign the beginning fleet or they just toss a coin to choose a faction. If they start with Empire, next round they switch to Rebels and so forth. So each round they play a different faction and when they come to the tournament they dont know which side they will begin with.

4 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

think the difference is, in Armada, we play relatively few games in our tournaments already, and breaking out of a Groove of one Fleet to play another due to Matchup is...  Very tricky, and a hard sell to people...

Just saw your reply, yeah well just a suggestion to spice the game a bit :)

The faction mirror matches is actually the main reason I don't do tournaments. When I play I always ask my opponent what faction they are playing and I grab the other one.  I love the theme and am thrilled to have a good game that meets it. Now all I need is a good solid story campaign to play. Might just have to do it myself but it takes a huge amount of effort and I would rather play.

Reminds me of SWCCG where you had to have an Imp and Rebel deck to play in tournaments. It’s been so long, I’m pretty sure you did anyways. I would enjoy that aspect myself in Armada.

Maybe your bid is your list with the highest fleet cost. Not sure how you’d pick what list you’d play though. Player with highest fleet cost codes which side first? Then lowest fleet cost chooses initiative? I dunno. Might lessen importance of initiative if you can chose two fleet types.

4 hours ago, zingerwhip said:

The faction mirror matches is actually the main reason I don't do tournaments. When I play I always ask my opponent what faction they are playing and I grab the other one.  I love the theme and am thrilled to have a good game that meets it. Now all I need is a good solid story campaign to play. Might just have to do it myself but it takes a huge amount of effort and I would rather play.

Of course, that’s one way... but as I’m sure you’re aware, Corellian Conflict helps you build a story as you go, rather than needing it in advance, if you’re willing to think that way... Plus no mirror matches or even multiple copies of uniques ?

I don't like the idea very much. I really dislike playing the Rebels. Being forced to play that faction would really take the fun out of the game for me.

But on a side tangent. I always thought that a two list tournament would be a very cool idea. Every player would bring 2 fleets. Before you face an opponent you get to see what two fleets they brought and then both players pick which of their own fleets they want to use in this match (without knowing what the opponent picked).