Koing907

Recording games

I am interested in an inexpensive setup to start recording games of X-Wing. Potentially for putting up on youtube.

Anyone have any suggestions for camera, stands, and video editing? I'd like to get away with this as inexpensively as possible.

• There is free editing software in Windows... It sucks, but works. Adobe Premeir is.... Well, Sony Vegas whatever kinda works.... God I miss Media 100 on a professional rig.
  • camera... Uh....... (I've got three, but can't recommend any yet... The GoPro has promise...) 
  • Stands... Nope, I got nothing. Tried a microphone stand actually, wasn't terrible. Wasn't perfect though...

Really, I'm just posting to encourage more realistic answers. I'd like to try this stuff out but doubt I have the dedication. I enjoy playing too much to totally step back.

15 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Threaten to cancel Christmas and their birthday if they drop the camera or make it all shakey cam.

Good way to guarantee the entire recording is a shakey mess = have a nervous kid hold the the cam...

I have a GoPro, a lightweight tripod, a light kit, and an Adobe Premiere subscription. Thats an okay setup if I wanted to do x-wing videos. I’d want an actual camcorder for better video. I wish I had more. But that’s almost all work stuff that I use to make money as well. 

You can get by with a phone camera and a decent phone mount for a $30 tripod. I have no idea what affordable video editors are like; I drank the Adobe kool-aid long ago. 

And none of that is covering sound capture. A zoom or another phone. A lavalier mic for each player or an omni for the table. 

8 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Software I can't help you with, but cheap camera and stand? Have a child family member hold your cell phone in position while you play. Threaten to cancel Christmas and their birthday if they drop the camera or make it all shakey cam.

Wrap empty boxes early before the holidays. If they step out of line, toss one into the fireplace and torch it. Should only need to do this once or twice to correct most aberrant behavior.

25 minutes ago, JasonCole said:

Wrap empty boxes early before the holidays. If they step out of line, toss one into the fireplace and torch it. Should only need to do this once or twice to correct most aberrant behavior.

Actually, co-worker of mine does this... Keeps empty wrapped gifts in the closet... and has burned a few. Doesn't need to burn many...

I made a thread for streaming and recording games months ago, but it did not get a lot of replies.

Get the best webcam,goPro,camera that you can afford. I bought Logitech webcam that works pretty good, but not great.

Then get...

One of these stands:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CLIPHO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of these to mount the camera to the stand:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GWCC4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought a cheap $25 webcam and a table mounted arm stand for the dice cam box:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N77YBLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If using a laptop to record you can get some usb extensions for the cameras:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L137Y6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And you might need some type of USB hub if your laptop is lacking usb ports:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a video I did. Im new at all this as well and haven't recorded in a game in months, cuz life.

8 minutes ago, wurms said:

I made a thread for streaming and recording games months ago, but it did not get a lot of replies.

Get the best webcam,goPro,camera that you can afford. I bought Logitech webcam that works pretty good, but not great.

Then get...

One of these stands:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CLIPHO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of these to mount the camera to the stand:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GWCC4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought a cheap $25 webcam and a table mounted arm stand for the dice cam box:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N77YBLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If using a laptop to record you can get some usb extensions for the cameras:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L137Y6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And you might need some type of USB hub if your laptop is lacking usb ports:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a video I did. Im new at all this as well and haven't recorded in a game in months, cuz life.

Not too shabby!

I've done some browsing, and seen some GoPro alternatives. I have no experience so don't know if they're any good or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HGM33HG/?coliid=I112GG42SM6JR&colid=194M1M3UV33K1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

9 hours ago, Micanthropyre said:

There is no such thing as an inexpensive way to record games effectively.

Unless your version of inexpensive is that you already own a laptop and are willing to drop several hundred on gear and software.

I have a laptop. I'm willing to spend around 150 on the camera, but I'd like to get it under 100 if possible.
This is just for local tournaments and leagues. I'm not looking to compete with something like  Gold Squadron. :) 

5 hours ago, Koing907 said:

I have a laptop. I'm willing to spend around 150 on the camera, but I'd like to get it under 100 if possible.
This is just for local tournaments and leagues. I'm not looking to compete with something like  Gold Squadron. :) 

In that case, you might be able to get away with a USB webcam and a boom microphone stand. As far as editing is concerned, do you have any prior experience editing video? 

Assuming your laptop is a Windows 10 machine, you probably can just get a webcam, get the video to display on your desktop in fullscreen, and use the Xbox native recording software on Windows to capture your screen. From there you should be able to trim the beginning and end off and then upload the raw gameplay to YouTube.

23 minutes ago, Micanthropyre said:

In that case, you might be able to get away with a USB webcam and a boom microphone stand. As far as editing is concerned, do you have any prior experience editing video? 

Assuming your laptop is a Windows 10 machine, you probably can just get a webcam, get the video to display on your desktop in fullscreen, and use the Xbox native recording software on Windows to capture your screen. From there you should be able to trim the beginning and end off and then upload the raw gameplay to YouTube.

I'd like to have the camera separate so it's not dependent on the laptop. 

I have done a little video editing with (the now discontinued) Windows live movie editor thing, and I've done a little with shotcut. I'd mostly be interested in how to insert overlays for the player names, squads, etc.

we are trialing our new recording setup this Sunday. I was lucky I already had all of the equipment from my other money sink... photography and music production.

Laptop running OBS and  TTT Stream for software. https://stream.tabletop.to

Gives you squad overlay, timer, etc. Was a bit annoying to setup, but I didn't read the instructions I just did the man thing and set it up through trial and error. I setup a youtube account for live streaming and setup all the host crap in OBS. 

For audio I took my Presonus Audibox USB and I am using a pair of AT2020 microphones, one for a table mic on a separate tripod stand beside the table. The other on a desktop stand for commentators. A headphone splitter for commentators to listen to the audio mix.  

I took a lighting boom stand with a 5lb counter weight and my old logitech webcam. I used electrical tape to secure the webcam to the boom arm, the clamp for the monitors gripped it okay, just extra security to keep it in place. On the end of the boom arm I have a photography modeling lamp (in this case an Elinchrome Dlite4 with a frosted diffuser) to illuminate the map. We will be trialing this setup on Sunday for a live tournament. 

If you have a smart phone that was made in the last 5 years, check your video settings and see if you have the option to record at 1080p, and if you do then give that a test run. I record all of my Imperial assault games on my iphone 5 and the video quality is pretty good. 

Edited by Tvboy

On 10/17/2018 at 2:23 PM, Koing907 said:

Anyone have any suggestions for camera, stands, and video editing? I'd like to get away with this as inexpensively as possible.

Try this on your phone to start out.  It has been an arms race for better and better cameras/video recording capabilities in smart phones over the past few years.  You will save a ton of money by starting out with your phone.  I'm not sure about what video editing options you have after you get the video onto your computer.  If you have a Mac you could use the built-in video editing program. Last I used it it was pretty user friendly and decent for being free.

So far, the only recording I've done, was write out what went on in a round, on a note pad...  Have had one person recently, who took some pics using his phone, to post on facebook..

With a laptop, you're cheapest option is probably a webcam and USB mic. If you go all USB you can easily link your video and audio through OBS which will also allow for your overlays. You also don't need to worry about batteries so long as your laptop has power. The Logitech C920 (or newer e.g. C922/C930) is perfect for this style of video capture with a wide angle 1080p lens. It is also mountable on a standard tripod. Samson makes some good USB mics for cheap. The Samson Meteorite is a decent one on a budget for game sound. For commentary I'd just use a USB lav mic. This set up with a cheap amazon tripod would fit your budget pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Widescreen-Calling-Recording-Desktop/dp/B006JH8T3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1540870351&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+c920&dpID=416PkUOhGcL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Meteorite-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00LDCKFQS?th=1

You could also use a phone cam if you have a decent one. RODE make great little mics to fit most smartphones these days. Just make sure you invest in a battery bank as it'll suck you battery dry pretty quickly. Overlays become hard using a phone though as they'll have to be added in post. 

A dedicated camera set up will be considerably more expensive if you want a quality camera. You'll also preferably want a camera that can either output live video for you to use in OBS, or allow for direct mic input if you go the post edit route. If you don't, syncing up video and audio can be pretty fiddly if you don't have experience. The reason I say that is no camera will do that for $150. Overall I think the USB route is the easiest to get going with as well as being the cheapest. If you decide to really get into it down the track then maybe invest in some more heavy duty gear.

Edited by BVRCH

On 10/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Koing907 said:

I am interested in an inexpensive setup to start recording games of X-Wing. Potentially for putting up on youtube.

As someone who is also just getting in to streaming and recording games, inexpensive is very VERY subjective based on the results you want to produce. There are a  host of inexpensive options for cameras, stands, mics, etc but you get what you pay for.

For a camera the most cost effective one that I would recommend is the Logitech c920, but its limited in terms of overall quality and capability. For the price it does a fine job, and also has an integrated mic that's 'decent' but it falls short in that its a camera that is now 6+ years old. The options for zoom, tilt, and pan are limited (and digital) so expect quality loss if those are used. Another shortcoming is that its a usb camera, because without an active usb cable you are limited to around 15' of cord length. So if you are planning on trying to stream, be prepared to spend some extra money on active (boosted) usb cables to be able to get some distance between the game table and the host booth. This is only an issue if the overall cost is a limiting factor, this camera will work great if you spend the extra money to extend cable length or if you are ok with having a computer close by to do the recording. 

I know that you mentioned wanting to possible get a self sufficient camera, and again you get what you pay for here. While I can't speak from personal experience I would suggest shying away from the "go pro" knock offs and just pony up the cash for the real thing. In the end you will probably be saving yourself some money buy getting higher quality camera from the beginning. 

Depending on your computer of choice there are plenty of programs out there for video editing, and some are even 'free'. I've used iMovie in the past, and the user interface and learning curve are very much geared towards ease of use. For windows programs that are free you have windows movie maker, openshot, davinci resolve, and lightworks.  If you don't plan on doing a lot more than cutting out dial time and trimming the start/end of games, I wouldn't hesitate to just use one of the many free options.  

One other thing that you should get familiar with early is photo editing, and a program like photoshop or one of the free online editors. A lot of your post production work and OBS overlay work is adding images. If you are planning on adding in a name or logo for the channel then photo editing is your lifeblood. Oh, and as for an overlay I'd recommend TTT as well. Its such an easy overlay to use, and it will save you countless hours rather than doing it yourself. 

Welcome to Wonderland, the rabbit hole goes deep.. I promise