shmitty

Regionals Dates and Locations

On 11/2/2018 at 3:05 PM, dominosfleet said:

Lol like 3 regionals had happened by the time FFG got around to letting people know regionals were happening and that there were prizes. 

Not only that, but last year I went the last X-Wing Regional of the season and FFG had not even sent the store the Prize Kit yet, so people had to get in line and write down their address (which was a god-awful line of like 60ppl after a full day of X-Wing) to have their stuff eventually mailed to them.

Organized Play is either radically incompetent or woefully understaffed.  Either way, it's something FFG should fix.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

On 10/26/2018 at 4:15 PM, Stasy said:

I have not heard anything on the east coast yet. 

Although I'm not entirely sold on what will be at least 2.5hrs of travel minimum to get recked 3-4 games. I wasn't that good when I managed to get games in quazi-regularly at Regionals.

I guess I await a list to see if it's worth my time/ can get enough wife points accumulated. ?

Regional at Top Deck Games just announced! February 2nd. @mcworrell @ScottGilbert25 @JolliGreenGiant

My local area had Armada regionals every year until last year. We have a strong community and hold regular tournaments that get reported to FFG with good attendance as far as Armada is concerned, I guess Vegas is pretty close but there is a large empty area in the US that my local area (SALT LAKE CITY) Would be able to fill, oh well I guess there is next year ?

4 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

Awesome another year of San Diego or San Francisco. Never mind we had a 32 player Regional in Orange County last year, one of the seasons biggest, and a huge player base. Just keep on not giving us regionals FFG.

This is crap.

feel your pain.. there are cities that have multiples, cant see why jurisdictions that can garner 16 players cant have one as well, let alone multiples....  double u tee ef

3 hours ago, xero989 said:

My local area had Armada regionals every year until last year. We have a strong community and hold regular tournaments that get reported to FFG with good attendance as far as Armada is concerned, I guess Vegas is pretty close but there is a large empty area in the US that my local area (SALT LAKE CITY) Would be able to fill, oh well I guess there is next year ?

I would go to SLC, especially in winter! Armada and the greatest snow on earth?! yep!

10 hours ago, Truthiness said:

This is just terrible. No way to sugarcoat it.

Hmmm, that map visual is telling.  I was happy New England got 2 Regionals!  I was especially happy because I will be the TO for one and it gives me the chance to play in another (although the date is not favorable for that happening).  The map definitely has some wide swaths of empty space though.

I will invite anyone that wants to come to Midgard in Derry NH in January you are welcome.  Flying to Manchester NH is usually economical and easy access.

I guess my only question is how many stores applied and were rejected?  I know the store in Massachusetts that has held the previous 2 Regionals in the area did not get one, but I also don't know if they applied.  The two stores in New England that got one are new this year.  I know Midgard has never held one before.

6 minutes ago, AdmiralYor said:

I'm honestly surprised any store is willing to host a regional for a game that brought in less than $100 per player last year...

How do you come to that metric?

I mean, at $5 entry, fortnightly, my store “profits” a minimum of 30-40 after kit purchase...

Which was on top of repeat purchases, CC boxes and other bits and pieces, as well as parallel sales...

... sure, it’s no M:TG preorder powehouse, but it’s better than others when done that way...

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

I mean, at $5 entry, fortnightly, my store “profits” a minimum of 30-40 after kit purchase...

Which was on top of repeat purchases, CC boxes and other bits and pieces, as well as parallel sales...

... sure, it’s no M:TG preorder powehouse, but it’s better than others when done that way...

These same stores may have come to the decision that no more product is coming out for the game.  It doesn't make a bunch of sense to host large tournaments for games that are (apparently) no longer supported with new product.  Total Escape Games, the Denver store that had the Regional last year, barely has any Armada product.  The items that players want are permanently out of print, nothing except the Super Star Destroyer has been announced, and the last actual release of new product was in February.

Listen, I know that we are 'supposed' to stay positive, but it's really not that difficult to figure out why so many stores no longer run events.  How many other legacy games do stores typically schedule events for?

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

Kits are 25 now?  So that means your store is pulling in 11-13 people every two weeks for Armada, impressive.

So if you run that for the entire calendar year of 2018 that gives you approx $1000

If everyone bought a Chimera and Profundity at full retail thats $90 per player (may be more in Canadian money), so if you have 15 players that's $1350

1000+1350 = 2350 /15 =156 per player  

If you subtract out the cost of the product, odds are, you are pretty close to 100, probably less if you give a preorder discount or something.Sure, that's higher than just buying product, but getting 11-13 players every two weeks is very optimistic.

Also, this comes at a cost of 6 of the largest tables in any game store for about 8 hours of a Saturday.

2 minutes ago, duck_bird said:

Oh phooey, this does look a little grim...

Do we know if this is final?  Or might there be additional regionals announced?

There will likely be more, but there seem to be large swathes of the country that will be left without, largely due to FFG's largely incompetent management of this game.