Sign in to follow this  
OttRod

3 ring binder storage

I know some people keep their investigator and class cards in a three ring binder.  My question is, for those who do that, what's the best set up?  By class and then sub categorized by asset, event, etc... OR by sets as they release?

I try and update it after a set releases.  I use BCW's Z-Folio 12-Pocket LX Album which have 12 per side per page.

I sort them by class, then by type (Asset, Event, Skill), then by no XP/1-5 XP.  It ends up looking like:

Guardian, all 0XP assets.  Guardian, all 1-5XP assets.  Guardian, all 0XP events.  And so on.

I have mine sorted as follows: first cards are sorted by class (guardian, seeker, rogue, mystic, survivor, neutral). Then for each section cards are sorted into: investigators with their signature cards, then all 0xp cards, then 1-5xp cards. I don't bother sorting assets from events from skills. I store basic weaknesses after all the other neutral cards.

3 hours ago, Duciris said:

I try and update it after a set releases.  I use BCW's Z-Folio 12-Pocket LX Album which have 12 per side per page.

I sort them by class, then by type (Asset, Event, Skill), then by no XP/1-5 XP.  It ends up looking like:

Guardian, all 0XP assets.  Guardian, all 1-5XP assets.  Guardian, all 0XP events.  And so on.

Ok, do you also do it by resource cost then?

Nah, too much work.  For that kind of sorting I use https://arkhamdb.com/.  Technically, all subsequent sorting is done by release (because that's on the cards).  I'd like to at least sort Assets by slots (Ally, Accessory, Hand, ect.) but haven't put in the work.  I'd also like to sort them by Traits (Relic, Occult, etc.) but that seems way to cumbersome - plus enough cards have multiple keywords and would need to be in multiple groups.

Maybe as TFA (The Forgotten Age) wraps up, I'll sort things by cost & slots.  We'll see.

Yeah.. cards trickle in one by one.. at first i sorted bye resource cost .. but over time it is really cumbersome.

A single card can shift hole pages so you have to resort all other just to place the single new one in the right spot... i gave that up somewhere around first or second TFA scenario.

I have mine stored in an Ultimate Guard QuadRow folder, because I don't like putting two cards into the same pocket and 9 pocket sheets set off my OCD.

While I'll eventually be organising by card costs, the pool isn't big enough for me to feel like I need to yet, so they're just divided by type: -

• Assets
  • Assets XP
  • Events
  • Events XP
  • Skills just all shoved in because there aren't enough to warrant greater organisation yet.

All broken down by colour, so Guardian is organised like this, then on to Seeker etc.

16 hours ago, Padde said:

Yeah.. cards trickle in one by one.. at first i sorted bye resource cost .. but over time it is really cumbersome.

A single card can shift hole pages so you have to resort all other just to place the single new one in the right spot... i gave that up somewhere around first or second TFA scenario.

The secret is to commit to costs, so this page is where you'll begin doing cost 1's, and even if there's only 3 cards to go into it that's fine. Fresh page for cost 2 and so on - that way you can just keep scaling up by adding new pages where they're needed and never have to do the costing shuffle. Arkham Horror doesn't have NEARLY enough cards to make this worthwhile yet, but it works very effectively for my L5R collection, especially for the clans with their fancy pants packs out.

Edited by Ersatz Nihilist

I'm curious about card storage options too. Right now I don't use a binder, I just have the hobby lobby case and insert.

Up to this point I sort my cards in a pretty odd fashion I think, but it makes for upgrading decks more logical to me.

I sort by faction and then by Asset/Event/Skill but within each of those, I sort by the experience value of the least experienced copy of the card.

For instance, I will have Shriveling located with the mystic assets lvl 0, but immediately after shriveling 0, I will have shriveling 3, and shriveling 5. Then the next lvl 0 mystic asset. Cards that are not lvl 0 at lowest xp cost come after all cards with lvl 0 versions and repeat Asset/Event/Skill followed by an upgradable versions of those cards.

I do this because when building the deck, it makes it easier to see what your options will be for upgrading cards, and whether or not you think it is worth including the lvl 0 or just jump directly to lvl 3 or 5 or whatever of the card later when you have the xp.

It's weird, but it helps me. I have no idea how I would do anything like this with binders without resorting to re-shuffling every time there are new cards, which would get old fast.

Edited by Soakman

2 hours ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

I have mine stored in an Ultimate Guard QuadRow folder, because I don't like putting two cards into the same pocket and 9 pocket sheets set off my OCD.

While I'll eventually be organising by card costs, the pool isn't big enough for me to feel like I need to yet, so they're just divided by type: -

• Assets
  • Assets XP
  • Events
  • Events XP
  • Skills just all shoved in because there aren't enough to warrant greater organisation yet.

All broken down by colour, so Guardian is organised like this, then on to Seeker etc.

The secret is to commit to costs, so this page is where you'll begin doing cost 1's, and even if there's only 3 cards to go into it that's fine. Fresh page for cost 2 and so on - that way you can just keep scaling up by adding new pages where they're needed and never have to do the costing shuffle. Arkham Horror doesn't have NEARLY enough cards to make this worthwhile yet, but it works very effectively for my L5R collection, especially for the clans with their fancy pants packs out.

Yep, that's what I do - class and cost, leaving empty space on pages rather than starting a new cost. No problems so far.

I actually use six binders.  Five 1" binders with 9-card pocket pages, one for each class, and one 1.5" binder for neutral cards (and soon multi-class cards)

I sort them within each binder as follows:  Assets, XP assets, events, XP events, skills. Each binder also holds the investigator cards for that class in pages at the front.

Having them separated by binder makes deck building easier, we find.  I started sorting them by cost, but we tend to buy up all of a cycle, then play through in a binge, and sorting 2-3 times a day was just the worst.

Like CaffeineAddict, I also leave empty spaces at the end of each category, and will insert pages when one fills up.