Beerasaurus

Colonel Vessery Locks

Howdy all,

Does Colonel Vessery's ability work off his own locks as well as others? Every reference I've found talks about him attacking a ship who an ally has already target locked.

Meaning:

1. He performs his maneuver.
  2. He locks on to a target as his action.
  3. He attacks that target, spending his target lock for re-rolls.
  4. He automatically gets a new lock for next turn.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Beerasaurus said:

Howdy all,

Does Colonel Vessery's ability work off his own locks as well as others? Every reference I've found talks about him attacking a ship who an ally has already target locked.

Meaning:

1. He performs his maneuver.
  2. He locks on to a target as his action.
  3. He attacks that target, spending his target lock for re-rolls.
  4. He automatically gets a new lock for next turn.

Thanks!

You got the order wrong.

1. Performs Maneuver.
  2. Locks as an action.
  3. Attacks target.
  4. You may acquire a lock from Vessery's ability, since the target is locked.
  5. Your opponent can modify your attack dice, if they have any abilities to do so (L3-37 crew, for example).
  6. You're able to spend your Lock to reroll dice.

Basically, Vessery's ability to acquire a lock happens before he's able to spend any locks, given the cards currently in the game.

Edited by theBitterFig

14 minutes ago, HawkZ71 said:

What are the best wingmates to fly with him?  Miss the targeting computer modification and hope FFG brings it back.

Well, Redline is a pretty good wingmate, given his propensity for locking things. Also, the ST-321 shuttle title is nice if you're down to coordinate things.

Lieutenant Sai with title is very good. Coordinate focus on Vessery, Sai gets focus, Sai gets target lock on a ship Vessery wants to shoot, so it is basically 4 actions for 1 coordinate. Vessery goes 3+ maneuver and gets evade so he has 3 actions before perform action step.

Give Juke to Vessery, which leaves just enough points for Soontir with Predator and 1 point bid :)

Edited by Jagos

1 hour ago, JasonCole said:

Well, Redline is a pretty good wingmate, given his propensity for locking things. Also, the ST-321 shuttle title is nice if you're down to coordinate things.

Problem with redline is he is I5 and may need his lock for rerolls before Vesserry fires.

Vynder (or maybe Deathrain) may be the better Vessery wingmate, as Vessery can fire and then Vynder fires. Also, Vynder can slam and lock an enemy, covering a lot of ground similar to redlines boost + lock.

A tie advance proto like Grand Inquisitor or 7th Sister is a nice choice as well. With FCS, they wont spend their lock, and when locking, they have force for defense and offense.

1 hour ago, HawkZ71 said:

What are the best wingmates to fly with him?  Miss the targeting computer modification and hope FFG brings it back.

Seventh Sister (48)
Fire-Control System (3)

Colonel Vessery (88)
Juke (4)

Major Vynder (41)
Trick Shot (1)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Vynder is a great choice.

Redline is a deceptively good choice because of the double locks, so he can paint two targets andf only shoot one of them - but that does mean that you're splitting fire.  Unless you give Redline FCS as well.

Redline/FCS/Proton Bomb/Proton Torp, Vessery naked, Jendon with Krennic.  All fits pretty neatly.

29 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Vynder is a great choice.

Redline is a deceptively good choice because of the double locks, so he can paint two targets andf only shoot one of them - but that does mean that you're splitting fire.  Unless you give Redline FCS as well.

Redline/FCS/Proton Bomb/Proton Torp, Vessery naked, Jendon with Krennic.  All fits pretty neatly.

Not only can he paint 2 different targets, unless I'm missing something, he can paint the same target twice... am I wrong about this?

2 hours ago, JasonCole said:

Not only can he paint 2 different targets, unless I'm missing something, he can paint the same target twice... am I wrong about this?

You're not, but with FCS he's got a lot less need to do so, and IME he's WAY better off with two targets so he has two options for who to shoot.

13 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

You're not, but with FCS he's got a lot less need to do so, and IME he's WAY better off with two targets so he has two options for who to shoot.

Ok yeah, I can dig that. I've actually found I rarely have *two* target locks with him, though I'm running tradgedy stimulator over fcs, and tend to focus + bonus lock for double mods without stress. Now that his wording is different than 1.0, just wanted to make sure I wasn't pulling old tech over.

1 hour ago, Effenhoog said:

Every time I try to build a Vessery list I end up with redline and a shuttle, and the feeling that I could just take Rexler instead and spend the extra points on sai/krennic/st321/etc on the shuttle for similar results

This guy gets it. Vessery was tasty in 1e because you could VI him to 8 and fly pretty high (I-5 these days, but back in 1e, I used to run him with vi next to OL and Tomax, they were a GREAT trio), and VI in your EPT didn't matter because of built in action efficiency. At his lower native I-4 now, he just doesn't gel with the higher I pilots you need that are out there taking locks but not using them for some reason (Redline and Sai being two examples of getting locks they may not need to spend by the time Ves starts shooting). With the mechanics we have now, he's overcosted for what he does. Save the points, take Brath, and make another ship better.

19 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

The best way to fly Vessery is to fly Rexlar instead. Vessery is not worth 10 points over the Onyx, especially with the loss of several great wingmen. 

Yep, this.

I was so happy that Vessery was back, because he was one of my favourite 1e pilots and I was sure they'd replace him with Vult Skerris.

But Rexler is just so much better. He's cheaper, has higher IN and a much, much improved ability. 

The worst thing is that Rexler himself doesn't even want to target lock all that much, so you can't even reliably partner Vess with his replacement.