Ronu

U-Wings in 2.0

My current favorite list:

Saw, PerCop, Sensors, Juke, Deadman’s Switch

Wulfwarro, PerCop, Jyn, Juke

Zealot, R2, Deadnan’s Switch

The synergy is incredible and it just fights harder and harder until it blows up right in your face. Bonus against infernos, especially Seyn Marana.

19 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Highlight where I'm complaining about 2.0.

Do it.

I wasn't talking about you. I was pointing out that your point applies to every ship. Fly it correctly to have more success. Which would alleviate a lot of the "2E just came out but we need to buff and/or nerf everything already" threads.

22 hours ago, Npmartian said:

Why settle for Two Tubes when you could have Four Tubes?

T-65 X-wing - •Edrio Two Tubes - 56
    •Edrio Two Tubes - Cavern Angels Veteran (45)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        R4 Astromech (2)
        Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

UT-60D U-wing - •Benthic Two Tubes - 67
    •Benthic Two Tubes - Cavern Angels Marksman (47)
        Advanced Sensors (8)
        •Jyn Erso (2)
        Perceptive Copilot (10)
        Pivot Wing (Open) (0)

VCX-100 Light Freighter - Lothal Rebel - 77
    Lothal Rebel - (70)
        Dorsal Turret (4)
        Shield Upgrade (3)

Total: 200/200

four tubes is the only way to run the tubes brothers. Absolute favorite combo in this game

On 10/16/2018 at 7:13 AM, ObiWonka said:

Every ship [is really good when flown well], so please stop complaining so much about 2.0 already we just got it.

I mean, you realize this is not true though, right?  In fact, it is astronomically unlikely that every ship in the game is good when used well.  There will be things that are better and things that are worse when it comes to design and costing, and the former will be good even when not flown exceptionally well and the latter will still be underwhelming despite being flown exceptionally well.  Plenty of stuff appears to be in both of those categories already.

34 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

Benthic is fine without Edrio. All pilots like having a focus token. Edrio without Benthic is a generic pilot.

Yep this. Benthic two tubes + perceptive co-pilot. Then stop! That's all you need and he does great.

Also, Cassian + Advanced sensors + MAYBE another crew (Lando for the lolz). Then stop! He's a completely self sufficient and surprisingly maneuverable buzzsaw.  (But also great stress support (B-wing wingmates? Jan Ors wingmate?) + another ship)

Edited by Gibbilo

On 10/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, MikeEvans said:

Sure!  I got inspiration from somebody over in the Squadron lists sub-forum and made my own attempt at the archetype.

"Heffy" Hitters
61 - Heff Tobber w/ Intimidation, Adv Sensors, Tac Officer, Zeb, Electronic baffle, Pivot Wing
61 - Wedge Antilles w/ Swarm Tactics, R2 Astro, S-foils
47 - Garven w/ S-foils
30 - Lt. Blount
Total:  199 (room for a 1-pt EPT on Blount or Garven if you want, or just keep it off for a very modest bid)

It's a bit janky, but it's quite fun, and I'm 3-0 so far.  The only ship I've lost is Heff at the end of the third game, but I'm usually pretty bloody by the end of the tussle.  I usually coordinate somebody with Heff, to give Wedge an action.  This either allows Wedge to fire fully modded, or guarantee he has at least a focus, even if he ends up bumping or doing a red maneuver.  Heff can get actions for himself if he gets bumped or if he gets a donation from Garven.  Swarm Tactics allows Garven to shoot first and hand off his focus for somebody else to use, even Wedge.  Or, it allows Heff to soften up somebody with a point-blank shot so the rest of the crew can finish them off.  I haven't yet managed to get a 1-2 punch from Heff and Wedge into the same bumped ship, but anything will go down quick if it loses 3 agility dice over two attacks.  

My first version of the list used Tactical Scrambler instead of Electronic baffle.  It was fine and even worked a couple of times, but Scrambler on Heff isn't as good as it used to be when he was a large base.  I do like the fact that Baffle+Adv. Sensors can allow you to stop/rotate AND take actions multiple turns in a row.  You usually lose the free actions from Heff because you're stressed for most of the activation phase, but it can be a real pain for your opponents to get around Heff's big ***, especially since his buddies are right behind him making it harder to just fly past.  Blount is just there because he's super cheap for a 3 dice attack, which you almost always activate.

Your goal is to engage in a bumpapalooza in the middle of the map.  This is because you can usually get mods on some of your ships despite bumping like crazy (Adv Sensors, coordinate, Heff, Garven) while  they usually cannot, and the disparity there makes a huge difference.  This is esp. great against ordnance lists who need locks or focus just to fire their big weapons.  Attempting this against Boba will probably end less well!  If a ship starts to look like it could die, I just break it off from the clusterfrack in the middle of the map.  If they break off to go kill it, I follow and kill them.  If they don't, my ship will circle back and attack the group from behind as they try to disentangle themselves and recover.  Just be careful of Zeb... he is a double-edged sword if there ever was one.  In my first game, I took a shot from behind that I couldn't return, and it sucked.

Advanced Sensors is super expensive but extremely worth it.  Swarm Tactics is vital as well.  These two upgrades are the lynchpins of this list.  I'm not certain about the R2 astromech unit on Wedge.  I ran a version with an R5 and I did use up both of my charges while on the run after taking a lucky natural 4-hit shot from Soontir in one game.  I've decided that R2 is way better if you're running away because you can spend your action on a focus for defense, and still recharge that shield.  I suppose you could drop R2 and get up to 200 points with Adv. Protons on one of the X-Wings, but given that they already throw 4 dice at range 1, I think R2 is probably better.

I played this twice today and I really liked it. I sucked at flying, ramming multiple times (and not getting the actions I needed), but won both games even so, although admittedly against weak opponents. It's a really fun list, and I need to train it more!

Leveraging Heff's ability was the first thing I tried doing in 2.0, it works okay but given how the rules are structured Heff's ability doesn't do a whole lot.  At most you will get two extra actions, after that point Heff runs out of actions that can be performed.

Zeb can be a liability, unless you have Swarm Tactics loaning Heff a better initiative.

Intimidation is a good card, but it doesn't really synergize with Heff.

Despite being a small base, Arvel might be a better choice.  Arvel can shoot at what he's bumping without being shot back, so he doesn't have Zeb's drawback.  Also Arvel can boost into bumping another ship, so low initiative ships will suffer from Intimidate more consistently.

I also added AP-5 in the Phantom II, which is a White Coordinate that can be used on someone who's stressed which is more flexible that a regular coordinate.

Cass (pilot) hasn't worked on himself since 1st ed, but he does work on Braylen

Braylen has a fan-fudgin-tastic ability that is only marred by the fact that a parapelgic with cement shoes could outmanuever a stressed Bwing 

Also, halfway interested in "jankfenders" where you use advanced sensors + perceptive+ jyn to cobble together a weird inverse full-throttle defender 

Undoubtedly jank, but even a fully kitted out Cassian is a "mere" 70 points with elusive

Edited by ficklegreendice

9 hours ago, Raithnor said:

Leveraging Heff's ability was the first thing I tried doing in 2.0, it works okay but given how the rules are structured Heff's ability doesn't do a whole lot.  At most you will get two extra actions, after that point Heff runs out of actions that can be performed.

And that is why I run a Debris gambit Heff with Lando, Tactical officer, or C-3PO (2 of the 3) and of course the config for the low cost of 54 to 64.

All right I usally don't use C-3PO or debris gambit and add on tactical scrambler. Still though 56 pts

Edited by player3049613
debris gambit in second statement

3 minutes ago, player3049613 said:

And that is why I run a Debris gambit Heff with Lando, Tactical officer, or C-3PO (2 of the 3) and of course the config for the low cost of 54 to 64.

All right I usally don't use C-3PO and add on tactical scrambler. Still though 56 pts

Debris gambit and lando seems a bit excessive. You'd be much more efficient with just lando and Jyn on a regular U-Wing.

Tactical officer on Heff is a sound idea though. He's got 3 white actions then, and scoring a bump on more than one enemy ship in a turn is going to be rare.

Has anyone tried a U-wing(s) with an informant? I could see knowing which way to point on a stop being useful - you are guaranteed coverage of the (pre boost / barrel roll) position of the enemy ship with the listening device.

I've flown against a few Rebel lists that had U-Wings in them. It's a pretty solid as flexible ship to fly against. The 0 stop 90 degree turn is a powerful fire support move that always seems to bite me.

4UZ isn't a bad list. Lots of health+firepower.

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Pivot Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Pivot Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Pivot Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Pivot Wing (0)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (23)
Cluster Missiles (5)

Total: 200

I wish there was a way to get Tactical Scrambler on the U-wings though without sacrificing the Zed. At least it would free up points to add Tactical Officer on all the ships and a 12 pt bid.

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Tactical Officer (2)
Tactical Scrambler (2)
Pivot Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Tactical Officer (2)
Tactical Scrambler (2)
Pivot Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Tactical Officer (2)
Tactical Scrambler (2)
Pivot Wing (0)

Blue Squadron Scout (43)
Tactical Officer (2)
Tactical Scrambler (2)
Pivot Wing (0)

Total: 188

Edited by Force Majeure

5 hours ago, Hedgehogmech said:

Has anyone tried a U-wing(s) with an informant? I could see knowing which way to point on a stop being useful - you are guaranteed coverage of the (pre boost / barrel roll) position of the enemy ship with the listening device.

Rebels have cassian for 1pt more, and he's not locked to a single ship like informant

RZ-1 A-wing - •Jake Farrell - 48
    •Jake Farrell - Sage Instructor (40)
        Marksmanship (1)
        Proton Rockets (7)

UT-60D U-wing - •Cassian Andor - 63
    •Cassian Andor - Raised by the Rebellion (47)
        Trick Shot (1)
        Advanced Sensors (8)
        •Lando Calrissian (5)
        Tactical Officer (2)
        Pivot Wing (Open) (0)

Z-95-AF4 Headhunter - •Lieutenant Blount - 32
    •Lieutenant Blount - Team Player (30)
        Expert Handling (2)

T-65 X-wing - •Kullbee Sperado - 56
    •Kullbee Sperado - Enigmatic Gunslinger (48)
        Outmaneuver (6)
        R4 Astromech (2)
        Servomotor S-foils (Closed) (0)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

This list has not let me down yet.

Cassian is so very good.

17 hours ago, Icelom said:

This list has not let me down yet.

Cassian is so very good.

How do you fly it? I mean, do you have a loose formation with Cass and Jake in the front drawing shots and Kullbee + Blount flanking? Are they spread out? How well has Lando been working?

Edited by Force Majeure