Sign in to follow this  
Vineheart01

The new lock system

I cant be the only one that routinely has this issue.

Since the new locks arent pairs of tokens, but a single toke on the target object i seem to constantly forget i banked a lock between turns when i was escaping and saw a chance to lock w/o being fired at so when i bounce back in i already got one.

The lack of a token next to my ship to remind me keeps getting me. Ive done this countless times where i'll fly off with a Gunboat toting APTs, lock because nobody can fire at me, and 2 turns later actually end up in R1 and completely forget i had a lock (opponent moved second so i focused beforehand).

I know its something i'll get used to but man i do this way too much... Anybody else having this problem?

Nope, the only time I forget is when I consider taking a target lock action but then when I'm looking at my potential targets before announcing the action, I notice the red number marker sitting there on their ship and remember I'm already locked and just take a different action instead. Same thing happens when I go to attack them, I look at their ships and notice the token there. But you can always just go back to the old token system of blue and red tokens. I only use the new lock system when I'm forced to put ID tags on my ships due to having multiple of the same generic. 

Just now, Tvboy said:

Nope, the only time I forget is when I consider taking a target lock action but then when I'm looking at my potential targets before announcing the action, I notice the red number marker sitting there on their ship and remember I'm already locked and just take a different action instead. Same thing happens when I go to attack them, I look at their ships and notice the token there. But you can always just go back to the old token system of blue and red tokens. I only use the new lock system when I'm forced to put ID tags on my ships due to having multiple of the same generic. 

Isn't this required for every ship for tourneys regardless of it being the only example in you squad?

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

Isn't this required for every ship for tourneys regardless of it being the only example in you squad?

Putting ID tokens on unique pilots is redundant unless you don't own the old style of target lock tokens. The base tile with the unique pilot card name that matches its corresponding unique pilot card is sufficient to identify which ship matches my pilot cards, thus I only use ID tokens when I have multiples of the same generic pilot in the squad. If a TO tells me I have to put redundant ID markers on my ships I will comply, but I doubt that will ever happen unless an opponent is just trying to stall for time with a frivolous judge call. 

Just now, Tvboy said:

Putting ID tokens on unique pilots is redundant unless you don't own the old style of target lock tokens. The base tile with the unique pilot card name that matches its corresponding unique pilot card is sufficient to identify which ship matches my pilot cards, thus I only use ID tokens when I have multiples of the same generic pilot in the squad. If a TO tells me I have to put redundant ID markers on my ships I will comply, but I doubt that will ever happen unless an opponent is just trying to stall for time with a frivolous judge call. 

You're rolling the dice to be able to roll some dice, but okay...

Really i thought they were going to be sticklers for the new locks?

Good, i'll go back to my aurebesh acrylic ones.

No way, as long as it's clear which of your ships are corresponding to each of your pilot cards (so that it's clear which ship has taken damage), you'll be fine. Even if you are forced by an overzealous TO to ID all your ships, you're still allowed by the rules to use lock tokens other than the 2.0 ones as long as they can be clearly understood which ship is locking which.

Edited by Tvboy

2 minutes ago, Icelom said:

I would like the new ones if they were not so loose on my medium and large basses.

All of my mediums barely hold the front token and don't even friggin try to hold the backside one. *Sigh*

Edited by ryfterek

Easy solution to forgetting you have one: when you don't have a lock, keep the matching red token on or next to your ship card. 

Not gonna lie though, the medium base thing is annoying. I got some of the CPC marking tokens to fix this but an official FFG version of that would be nice

Guys really the new system is much cleaner. They're designed to match your ship's ID base.

Step 1: You and your opponent should agree on black or white as their color.
Step 2: Regardless of generics, assign tokens 1-8 to your ships respectively.
Step 3: When Target Locking, find the red diamond and flip it to the correlating color to identify you as the lock's owner.

It's that simple, and very clean! You also never lose track of who's target lock it is, when it matches your ship's number. A problem I ALWAYS had.

3 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Guys really the new system is much cleaner. They're designed to match your ship's ID base.

Step 1: You and your opponent should agree on black or white as their color.
Step 2: Regardless of generics, assign tokens 1-8 to your ships respectively.
Step 3: When Target Locking, find the red diamond and flip it to the correlating color to identify you as the lock's owner.

It's that simple, and very clean! You also never lose track of who's target lock it is, when it matches your ship's number. A problem I ALWAYS had.

They just need to fix the **** issue with the tokens sliding out of the slots on the bases...

I'm thinking of just using my old locks; I like GG and FF and being able to pick locks that just aren't numbers I lose track of. 

I also tabbed tiny bits of velcro to my 1.0 locks, so they keep together in storage and also rest slightly above the mat when in play.

The new lock system, as stated above, is REALLY easy to lose track of, and the ****ing tabs fall right out of medium bases.

1 hour ago, Ikka said:

Haven't had that issue, but have had the issue of the **** turret indicators being super tight and turning them has dislodged the ID numbers.

It does suck, but I've tried putting a Sharpie pen (cap on) into the aperture and rolling it around; seems to stress the cardstock enough to make turret rotation less resistant.