Sign in to follow this  
Falendor

School advancement

Basically my question is, why are techniques like warriors resolve (a rank 1 kata) listed under cariculum when rank 1 Kata is already listed? (See Akodo Commander P.70)

At first I thought each advancement of the curriculum could only be picket once. Example: You can take any ONE Kata plus warriors resolve.

However, on page 98 of the core it shows the XP from two increases of a martial skill applying to the same school rank.

Is warriors resolve just listed as a suggestion, or am I missing something, and where?

2 minutes ago, ExplodingJoe said:

sometimes curriculum includes both Martial Skill Group and a Martial Skill in the same rank. Not sure if that's what's up there, I'm still at work.

Yes, that's the same sort of redundancy in talking about.

The example given is a rank 1 hida defender. The have the martial skill group listed bit not a separate martial skill, so the exampl isn't getting the XP from both ranks to count by for filling two separate listed skills.

there seem to be a lot of anomalies with the school descriptions. it is definitely worth an errata, which I hope we get in a few weeks or maybe around Emerald Empire launch (around christmas?).

From what I can tell with a quick pass through they removed all instances of a skill appearing in the same rank as a skill group it belongs to. It was redundant after all. From a quick pass through Warrior's Resolve is the only technique appearing in the rank at the same time as the technique group without also being privileged access a rank earlier. I could easily be wrong on both as I didn't do a thorough check.

If it needs to be fixed, I could see it being Stonewall Tactics or maybe Honest Assessment on the chart for Akodo Commander rank 1.

Just now, ExplodingJoe said:

After thinking about it, they may just want you to be able to have the full xp apply for both Warrior's Resolve and one other kata. The skill example is beyond me, though.

since warrior's resolve is a rank 1 kata, and you can choose any rank 1 kata to have full xp... it totally doesnt make sense to have warrior's resolve in the list.

especially since you can pick rank 1 kata multiple time (its not like each options on the curiculum would count for full xp only once)

Its my understanding that it was the case that each selection can only be picked once. If that is not the case, then many schools have this issue. Are you sure the first purchase isn't rated as half xp rounded up?

Edited by ExplodingJoe

Just now, ExplodingJoe said:

Its my understanding that it was the case that each selection can only be picked once. If that is not the case, then many schools have this issue.

weirdly enough, i have the feeling that i read something that mentioned an example of someone taking multiple time a skill increase and that it counted for full xp all the time.

if it is once for each though (which i'd be fine with i guess but would need to do the math to see how much xp you would gain by taking all the options) then yeah, its perfectly fine to have both rank 1 kata and warrior's resolve in the same list.

1 minute ago, ExplodingJoe said:

Its my understanding that it was the case that each selection can only be picked once. If that is not the case, then many schools have this issue. Are you sure the first purchase isn't rated as half xp rounded up?

Whether the curriculum is a "knock-out list" or an "open availability" list is a very important distinction.

2 minutes ago, Avatar111 said:

weirdly enough, i have the feeling that i read something that mentioned an example of someone taking multiple time a skill increase and that it counted for full xp all the time.

if it is once for each though (which i'd be fine with i guess but would need to do the math to see how much xp you would gain by taking all the options) then yeah, its perfectly fine to have both rank 1 kata and warrior's resolve in the same list.

Read the example on page 98. It's the fly in the ointment.

Last part of that one is probably what your remembering.

28 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Whether the curriculum is a "knock-out list" or an "open availability" list is a very important distinction.

Sorry, don't have the book with me right now--does RAW clarify this? I always assumed it was "open availability"... gotta find out for sure!

28 minutes ago, Lindhrive said:

That'd be Rules-As-Written. Often contrasted with RAI, or Rules-As-Intended.

Ah, I'm more familiar with WAD, working as designed.

it is a bit unfortunate that there is so many basic mistakes and/or oversights in the curriculums. hope we get clarifications at some point. hard to believe they couldn't spend a few hours to double check that all schools were done properly and made sense.

I think one of the below is what they will probably say, in order of likelyness:

1. There is a missing rule that techniques are punch card and skills are not.

2. Cariculum are punch cards and the example is wrong.

3. The example is correct and multiple schools have redundant techniques. 

30 minutes ago, Falendor said:

I think one of the below is what they will probably say, in order of likelyness:

1. There is a missing rule that techniques are punch card and skills are not.

2. Cariculum are punch cards and the example is wrong.

3. The example is correct and multiple schools have redundant techniques. 

Punch Card could be cool. your option 1 is also cool.

and;

Rushing Avalanche Style technique should be; cumbersome weapons (instead of blunt, cmon, are you seriously using Rushing Avalanche with your Kiseru?).

Hiruma Scout should have Iron Forest Style (instead of Rushing Avalanche Style, which makes no sense at all for them).

Matsu Berserker should have a Zanbato instead of a Nodachi as starting gear (thematic, and could be used for Rushing Avalanche Style if it was using cumbersome weapons).

the Bisento shouldn't be usable as a one-hand weapon, it should basically be very similar to naginata but using the scimitar stats. so probably range 2, dmg 6, dls 6, cumbersome/durable/wargear

the knife should not be usable with 2 hands (Chokuto and Scimitar cannot be used with 2 hands...)

increase the Ji deadliness by one, to make it 3 

increase the Yari deadliness by one, to make it 4

and probably many other things...

:D

Edited by Avatar111

I cannot find any rules or examples that suggest the curriculum are punch cards. I think that option 3 is correct.

I think the Akodo Commander is just an oversight. I need to go over the lists to see if there are any other redundant techniques that are not giving early access. Remember that early access isn't redundant, since they would be one rank higher than the listed technique group. Can anyone point any other redundant techniques?

I am not seeing any skills listed at the same rank as the skill group they belong to. Is there any that someone can point out that I am overlooking? I looked over the two Mantis and the Tortoise school just to be complete.

I haven't found any skill redundancies ether. The following schools have technique redundancy:

Kakita dualism (striking as air)

Akodo Commander (warriors resolve)

Shiba guardian (rank 2, iron forest style)

Kaito shrine keeper (rank 2, parking hail style)

I have only really read through the kata and shuji very well so far, so there is a good chance there a lot more bidding among the shugenja.

Reasons for duplication of "Rank 1 Kata & Kata ___" are that ___ is clan restricted, and it's being given out-of-clan. Sometimes, it's that ___  is rank 2 or 3.

With Kihō and Invocations, the individually listed ones are usually outside the element listed for the given school rank's invocations, and would thus otherwise provide only half-benefit for school rank improvement.

10 minutes ago, AK_Aramis said:

Reasons for duplication of "Rank 1 Kata & Kata ___" are that ___ is clan restricted, and it's being given out-of-clan. Sometimes, it's that ___  is rank 2 or 3.

With Kihō and Invocations, the individually listed ones are usually outside the element listed for the given school rank's invocations, and would thus otherwise provide only half-benefit for school rank improvement.

the examples that Falendor wrote are not "clan restricted" nor higher rank unlocks. they are simply mistakes in the book.