CaptainJaguarShark

Large Ships for the Galactic Republic

One thing I think the GR faction will be lacking in is large ships, so let's speculate on what they might get.

The well known LAAT gunships seem more likely to be medium-base if we get them in game. I don't think they'd go to large unless they'd use the vehicle transport variant, which seems unlikely.

Both the Nu-class and Theta-class shuttles are just a bit smaller than a Lambda, so they are good candidates. Neither were particularly well armed so I feel like they are about as equally likely. The Eta-class shuttle also exists but is a fair bit smaller and would likely fit in more appropriately as a medium. There's also the Kappa-class shuttle from Legends but it feels unlikely to be introduced in game. It's just a bit smaller than a VT-49.

It's also arguable that the Bad Batch's Havoc Marauder could show up but I assume that would be a title for some shuttle with a class designation, even though it doesn't quite fit any of them.

Also from Legends, the PTB-625 planetary bomber is another contender for a large ship. The few sources for it do list at as an air-speeder rather than a space-faring craft but as its currently canon, LFL might be willing to overwrite that, and we have only the one image of it. They also could make it the NTB-630, which we don't have any images of, and which is said to be a very similar craft.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot about the GR-9 Rigger, best known as the Twilight. It's arguably the most likely candidate for a large ship even if some number of fans really hate the design.

Edited by CaptainIxidor

I disagree about Nu and Theta being not well armed, Nu has 4 sets of twin laser cannons, Theta has a pair of quadruple cannons and a rear gun, that's Lambda level of firepower.

I could see the Havoc Marauder as its own thing after the "Season 7" of TCW, as it is very likely the bad batch story will be featured there.

T-6 shuttle is another possibility, the most common variant is unarmed but Forces of Destiny introduced one with two side turrets: 

Plus Anakin's Twilight, not a very fondly remembered design, but one with a complete set of on-screen pilots (even a generic clone) and interesting gameplay opportunities - asymmetric dial, front arc+ rotating arc, story-based red rotate action, and of course docking rules:

PnU27uN.png

The LAATs I see filling a similar role as the Auzituck Gunships since the Wookiees adapted the later from the former.

The general rule of thumb for large base ships has been: "Is the ship about 30M in length?"  The rule isn't strictly applied though, but base size is sometime an indicator of speed as opposed to how much of a physical footprint the ship occupies.

The G-9 rigger I could see occupying the Large Slot, you have Skywalker, Kenobi, and Tano as pilots.

11 minutes ago, eMeM said:

I disagree about Nu and Theta being not well armed, Nu has 4 sets of twin laser cannons, Theta has a pair of quadruple cannons and a rear gun, that's Lambda level of firepower.

I could see the Havoc Marauder as its own thing after the "Season 7" of TCW, as it is very likely the bad batch story will be featured there.

T-6 shuttle is another possibility, the most common variant is unarmed but Forces of Destiny introduced one with two side turrets:

Plus Anakin's Twilight, not a very fondly remembered design, but one with a complete set of on-screen pilots (even a generic clone) and interesting gameplay opportunities - asymmetric dial, front arc+ rotating arc, story-based red rotate action, and of course docking rules:

Perhaps you're right on the shuttles. We have had speculation on TCW but I believe the only thing confirmed is some coverage of the Siege of Mandalore but I would like to see that. That's interesting about the T-6. I still don't like it but it's something.

4 minutes ago, Raithnor said:

The LAATs I see filling a similar role as the Auzituck Gunships since the Wookiees adapted the later from the former.

The general rule of thumb for large base ships has been: "Is the ship about 30M in length?"  The rule isn't strictly applied though, but base size is sometime an indicator of speed as opposed to how much of a physical footprint the ship occupies.

The G-9 rigger I could see occupying the Large Slot, you have Skywalker, Kenobi, and Tano as pilots.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Twilight. It's actually arguably a higher contender than anything else mentioned.

22 minutes ago, Silver_leader said:

Maybe the Naboo shuttle ? It seems as big as the Upsilon, not just not in the same shape

Oh, how could I forget. Episode 3 shuttle (J-type Star Skiff) would more or less fit a large base and it was apparently armed. The other ones are too large tho.

22 minutes ago, Silver_leader said:

Maybe the Naboo shuttle ? It seems as big as the Upsilon, not just not in the same shape

Yeah, the Nubian J-Type 327 another possibility. It's a bit of a weird one because it doesn't have armaments in lore. There was also the latter J-type used by Amidala's successor but it also had no armaments in lore. I'm skeptical of either being in the game.

2 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Oh, how could I forget. Episode 3 shuttle (J-type Star Skiff) would more or less fit a large base and it was apparently armed. The other ones are too large tho.

Oh, there's one that was armed. I would still think they would want to go with the most recognizable of the series. Maybe they would just put guns on the 327, though, since there's at least some lore indication that ships in the series were sometimes armed.

EDIT: Although having a chance to have C-3PO as a pilot is something hard to pass on. :D

Edited by CaptainIxidor

7 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

Oh, there's one that was armed. I would still think they would want to go with the most recognizable of the series. Maybe they would just put guns on the 327, though, since there's at least some lore indication that ships in the series were sometimes armed.

EDIT: Although having a chance to have C-3PO as a pilot is something hard to pass on. :D

Is he in a competition with Han to see who can end up on more factions? Because geonosis might add him as Separatist crew for no reason whatsoever, lol

11 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

Armed or unarmed isn't such a big problem after the escape pod and tug boat getting 2 red dice, but keep in mind that episode 1 Nubian is longer than a Gozanti :P

Just now, eMeM said:

Armed or unarmed isn't such a big problem after the escape pod and tug boat getting 2 red dice, but keep in mind that episode 1 Nubian is longer than a Gozanti :P

Oh, I didn't think to check their length when it was mentioned above. Well, then yeah, that ain't happening any time soon! :D

Just now, Tvboy said:

The LAAT is 28 m long according to the wiki, longer than the Lambda and the Jumpmaster, it should easily qualify as a large ship. Not sure how you could have the ARC-170 and the LAAT both be medium ships.

I remembered these being smaller but that's a fair point. I should have confirmed. It actually makes sense that they would be that big to fit a squad of clones, plus the gunnery crew and pilots.

Just now, Raithnor said:

I'd be really leery of ships with a chrome finish like the Naboo ships.  If the chrome starts flaking off it could look like garbage.  The N-1s could get away with it, since only the front and bottom are Chrome.

Hopefully FFG doesn't actually use chrome on them. I know it's not as cool but we can get at least get the color right even if it isn't reflective. I agree it will be worse for the bigger ships, though.

6 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Anyone remember when we might see the prequel factions? 1st quarter 2019? I thought there was a time-line announced some time this summer.

Sadly, probably Q2. Sequel stuff first in Q4 2018. But at least we don't spend all our hype and money at once.

43 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

Yeah, the Nubian J-Type 327 another possibility. It's a bit of a weird one because it doesn't have armaments in lore. There was also the latter J-type used by Amidala's successor but it also had no armaments in lore. I'm skeptical of either being in the game.

I can already imagine the chrome scraping off due to play. 

35 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

All I want is a shuttle of any size to put some Jedi crew on. That would be mad support. And if Po Kloon is not an I6 F2 pilot of the delta 7.... 

Then you want the T-6 is for you, it was a Jedi shuttle so would likely bring Jedi crew options, while Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka would likely be relegated as crew upgrades in the Twilight pack. 

24 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

The LAAT is 28 m long according to the wiki, longer than the Lambda and the Jumpmaster, it should easily qualify as a large ship. Not sure how you could have the ARC-170 and the LAAT both be medium ships.

Its inconsistent actually. The Wookipedia page says 28 meters but the legends number and the one used by the official Star Wars databank is 17.69 meters which would put it on a medium base. 

2 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Its inconsistent actually. The Wookipedia page says 28 meters but the legends number and the one used by the official Star Wars databank is 17.69 meters which would put it on a medium base. 

Oh you're right, which actually makes it shorter than the ARC-170 is wide. So maybe they would both be medium base ships. 

At 26m wide, I feel like the V-19 Torrent could possibly qualify as a large base.

17 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Anyone remember when we might see the prequel factions? 1st quarter 2019? I thought there was a time-line announced some time this summer.

Honestly, I'm not expecting them until Gen Con next year, or releasing sometime around the final Clone Wars season. They just said "next year" at Gen Con if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't anticipate it necessarily being Wave 3. But I could be pleasantly surprised.

2 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Oh you're right, which actually makes it shorter than the ARC-170 is wide. So maybe they would both be medium base ships. 

At 26m wide, I feel like the V-19 Torrent could possibly qualify as a large base.

With the Y-Wing, ARC-170, Republic Gunship and likely others I get the feeling that the Republic will be heavy on Medium bases. It should be interesting to see how a rebel synergy style squad flies with their ships mostly on medium bases while your (jedi) aces use small ones. 

1 minute ago, WAC47 said:

Honestly, I'm not expecting them until Gen Con next year, or releasing sometime around the final Clone Wars season. They just said "next year" at Gen Con if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't anticipate it necessarily being Wave 3. But I could be pleasantly surprised.

The fact that FFG said we'd get more information on the two factions in November I think is the reason we are expecting them for Wave 3. 

5 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

With the Y-Wing, ARC-170, Republic Gunship and likely others I get the feeling that the Republic will be heavy on Medium bases. It should be interesting to see how a rebel synergy style squad flies with their ships mostly on medium bases while your (jedi) aces use small ones. 

I wonder if Republic is actually going to be synergy based though. I don't see why they would, I feel like the Republic hews closer to the Empire than the Rebellion in terms of faction identity, maintaining the focus on shields and survivability while maintaining a structured formalized military doctrine, with ace heroes (mostly Jedi) scattered about here and there. 

Edited by Tvboy

2 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

The fact that FFG said we'd get more information on the two factions in November I think is the reason we are expecting them for Wave 3. 

I forgot about that! That definitely makes it more likely. I expect we’ll find out once Wave 2 is out.