Sign in to follow this  
Gandalf_

Do we know the 4/5 cards that have not yet been spoiled from Roam Across Rhovanion?

For Glamdring, I think you pay one and then draw an encounter card to attach it on. Then you claim it once that encounter is gone? What if it is a treachery? You claim it immediately?

Edited by Gandalf_

Glamdring says Gaurded (enemy or location).  After paying the resource to play it you place it in the staging area and then discard cards from the top of the encounter deck until an eligible target is discarded.  (In this case an enemy or location.). Then place that card in the staging area and attach Glamdring to it.  So part of the cost of the card is you have to face another encounter card.  Note that enemies or locations that cannot have attachments are not eligible and you keep flipping.

Wiglaf with stallion and ancestral armor: quest for 3 and ready during questing. Defend for 4, ready with second attachment, attack for 3. Pretty good. 

Wild stallion on guardian of esgaroth he becomes a 3 3 3.  Not sure if paying 4 for him is worth it in that case...

What do you think of Flight of the Eagles guys? It looks good to me. You can combo it with the 1 resource Eagle for optimal cost. At the same time you are not always guaranteed to take your ally. Right?

Edited by Gandalf_

Glamdring looks great, especially with lore. Not having to run tactics in a haldir deck is awesome. 

Having some  experience with arkenstone now, it is amazing, but a lot of times it sits in my hand because I just can't afford the extra encounter card.  Glamdring will have similar problems

Eagle support (ignore pun) is pretty cool, I just really wish tactics was more viable for card draw. Dale, dwarves, silvan, and noldor all run so smoothly and have great draw ad resource acceleration,  eagles just stall too much for my taste, I hope there is some attachment waiting in the wings (ignore pun) that really helps this archetype 

I probably won't be playing any Guarded player card anytime soon. It's really not worth the cost of an extra encounter card. Most of the time, the encounter deck hits you hard and fast, and the first few turns are critical. Do you really want to play a card that will bring into play an extra encounter card?

I mean, an extra encounter card.

Ok, an extra encounter card.

Not until there's some other cards actually supporting the archetype. Maybe a Bilbo Burglar hero or something.

EDIT: I must add that if you can afford to reveal an extra encounter game by playing a Guarded card in the mid or late game, then you're probably already winning, and thus don't need the card.

Edited by banania

Thematically, I think guarded cards are awesome. I love stuff that is so cool you consider using it even if it's not optimal. Is it a good card? No. Is it a great card? I think it adds a lot to the game to have stuff like this, so maybe.

Guarded cards aren't going to go in every deck. And in most decks, I do think they'll be win-more. But in some decks they'll be legitimately good: 

In a Leadership Eomer deck, you can put out a guarded card and if an enemy ends up guarding it, he kills it before it ever contributes any threat or makes any attacks. For a card like the Necklace of Girion, it then makes him a better quester and pays for his ability the rest of the game. Orcrist is also great on him, making it easier to kill enemies in 1 hit and recouping the cost of the ability.

If you have Henamarth or scrying effect, you can play your guarded card right when a card with Surge was about to come out, avoiding the "extra encounter card".

In an Elladan deck, Orcrist and Glamdring turn him into a machine with limitless attack and crazy card draw, potentially worth whatever setup costs might be involved, particularly in multiplayer.

3 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Doomed works better in solo and this works better in multiplayer.  I think it’s a thematic win and really like it.  And I say that as a mostly solo player.

I disagree. There is some dommed cards that work better in solo like Grima and steward of Orthanc but the main doomed cards (legacy of numenor, deep knowledge, The Wizards's Voice, the seeing-stone) are way more stronger in multiplayer. I think that they even make the game unbalanced in favor of players. I dedicated the major part of my wins in multiplayer against the most difficult nightmares to them.

Guarded cards are quite special. There is many condition to make them optimal in a decklist, and it is often a proof than the deck itself is not that good and need that gambling.

Edited by Rouxxor

I'm not too put off by the "extra encounter card", but I play Dunedain Hunter frequently.  Yes, you get an extra location or enemy, but at a time you choose -- and the card is *added* to the staging area, so surgers or "When revealed" or Ambush aren't a problem -- and while finding the guarder, treacheries and can't attach enemies (those are generally the worst) are skipped.  Glamdring's worth the cost if you have a hero attacker and love card draw.

Ancestral Armor is expensive, but I love +2 def/+2 hp on a dedicated defender and Leadership/Noble character covers a *lot* of dedicated defenders.

Wild Stallion is clever, though 2 cost for +1/+1/+1/+1 you would want on a readying ally.  It's interesting that you can play it in advance.  Radagast can pay for it, though because it's restricted it won't work on Eagles.

It's too bad South Away is a Travel Action, because it'd be way more useful in the planning phase when most location attachments are played.