eljms

Fenn / Wedge / Luke

I posted this previously under a misleading title so forgive me for re-posting it but I was looking for more feedback as I think it's genuinely promising.

Sheathipede-class Shuttle - •Fenn Rau - 52
    •Fenn Rau - Reluctant Rebel (52)

T-65 X-wing - •Luke Skywalker - 83
    •Luke Skywalker - Red Five (62)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Supernatural Reflexes (12)
        Servomotor S-foils (Closed) (0)

T-65 X-wing - •Wedge Antilles - 65
    •Wedge Antilles - Red Two (52)
        Trick Shot (1)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        R3 Astromech (3)
        Servomotor S-foils (Closed) (0)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I've flown it a couple of times now and here's what I love about it:

- S-foils.  I feel like closing the S-foils on x-wings is often thought of only in the context of running away.  With this list having boost (or better yet, focus->boost in Wedge's case) available as a pre-maneuver action, either via supernatural reflexes for Luke or a coordinated from Fenn for Wedge is super powerful.  The high initiative pilots mean you get to decide late whether you need to open them to get the extra primary attack dice or keep them closed to help line up a proton torpedo shot, or because it will get you out of arc.  The positioning flexibility here is immense.

- Fenn + Wedge.  Fenn is a *great* wing mate for Wedge.  Wedge is already awesome but Fenn helps cover his weaknesses.  Wedge is slightly squishy, Fenn helps by nerfing an opponents attack.  Wedge can struggle slightly for action economy, Fenn helps with coordinate.  They're both I6 which helps with flexibility, which moves first, whether you want to coordinate an action before or after Wedge's maneuver.

- Initiative 6.  Our local meta has a lot of Initiative 5 pilots, often with big bids.  This list is pretty much a hard counter to I5 aces.

- Proton Torpedoes.  4 dice attacks and crits.  What's not to love?  Well documented.

- Luke.  Regenerating force when he defends is awesome.  Well documented.

So how competitive is all this?  What's it going to struggle against?

I've flown against Vader, and not moving last did make life a little more tricky.  Ultimately I just went after the rest of the list and was fine.

I imagine swarms might be a pain.

Edited by eljms

I'd like to see it played and think it has potential. I'm looking at the following Luke list right on and it's super fun!

Luke, Sabine, K-Wing

(40) Warden Squadron Pilot
(6) Barrage Rockets
(5) Proton Bombs
(2) Tactical Scrambler
Points 53

(62) Luke Skywalker
(8) R2-D2
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(12) Supernatural Reflexes
(9) Proton Torpedoes
Points 91

(38) Sabine Wren
(4) Juke
(6) Ion Cannon Turret
Points 48

Total points: 192

8 hours ago, tonycanevaro said:

Fenn seems pretty squishy and pretty important to the list.

He's super important for the initial engagement as he helps you range control and get full mods for Wedge to shoot his proton torpedoes with.  R3 helps Wedge's action economy after that (because you hopefully have the second target lock already).  Obviously the longer he stays alive the better, but Luke is totally fine without him and Wedge is still Wedge.

He's also not quite as squishy as he may appear for a couple of reasons.  Firstly his pilot ability can neuter attacks and secondly, if you're flying it right, you're going to hold him back a little and make him hard to get to.

10 hours ago, tonycanevaro said:

What happens when fenn goes down?

I'll have to play it more to really know but I fancy my chances of taking out an important piece of my opponent's list before Fenn dies, and while he may be the correct ship to target he's also the one I'd most happily give up as my offensive capabilities will largely be intact.

I don't know about Fenn. The Sheathipede seems a little out of place. 

I've ran this pretty successfully:

Luke Skywalker - Instinctive Aim, Proton Torpedos, R5 Astromech 

Wedge Antilles - Outmaneuver, R5 Astromech

Garvin Dries - Outmaneuver, R5 Astromech 

While I don't get Proton Torpedos on anyone but Luke, being able to close the s-foils can help line up extra range 1 rolls with Outmaneuver. 

You could swap out Garvin for Thane which gives a little more offense, but I like being able to toss an evade on a buddy about to get pounded by TIE Fighters. 

Edited by Chrpica

8 minutes ago, Chrpica said:

but I like being able to toss an evade on a buddy about to get pounded by TIE Fighters. 

How on Earth would you generate an Evade token in this list?

3 hours ago, eljms said:

Also - with Garven, wouldn't he typically benefit from having a lower initiative buddy to reliably pass his focus token to?

That's a whole another thing. Garven worked best I saw him when coupled with Swarm Tactics Wedge, gentleman enough to let him shoot first and try to grab the token from him. That obviously asks for them two to flight alongside in R1, what renders the other Outmaneuver left useless - to be honest without much pain, as the one sitting on Wedge would've often been a dead weight with the amount of 1AGI ships seen around. 

So, substituting both EPTs with a Swarm Leader on Wedge and a medal of choice on Garven leaves about enough points to upgrade these R5 units to R2s - if you're about to throw unmodified, actionless shots just to repair a card, you might as well give yourself a round's break, disengage and regen a crit-resistant shield instead. 

Or, maybe leave the R5s be and sit Garven in the big old ARC, inviting Jyn onboard so you can actually pass these evades that have been mentioned. 

Edited by ryfterek

An alternative to Fenn might be Magva Yarrow with Tactical officer.

She can still help nerf attacks against Wedge and Luke plus coordinate. She is also more durable then Fenn.

If you can muddle some points you can add intimidate and use her had a solid blocker.

17 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

An alternative to Fenn might be Magva Yarrow with Tactical officer.

It's a nice thought but I think the major problem would be that the coordinate is then at I3.  In some instances this might not matter much but a big advantage to the list with Fenn giving Wedge coordinate at I6 is the ability to look at the board state before deciding what to do with Wedge (including a coordinated boost or barrel role, possibly pre-maneuver).

Well Magva limits escalation in my view, keeping the damage manageable. Which is nice if your playing regen Wedge and Luke. 

But if your worried about giving Wedge some legs that's understandable. He has a great ability but he never feels like a real independent ace. If FFG gave him a second talent slot for some more points it might help him work better. 

12 hours ago, ryfterek said:

How on Earth would you generate an Evade token in this list?

Whoops, sorry, a Focus token. Sometimes my words get all jumbled up and don't come out no good. 

Edited by Chrpica

1 hour ago, FriendofYoda said:

With SNR Luke I find myself wanting at least a 6 point bid

I'm going to struggle to have Luke moving after the I5 aces without running a big bid, but that's one of the things I'm trying to do here, counter I5 + big bid with an I6 ace and an I6 coordinate to potentially help Luke in a pinch.