Sign in to follow this  
awp832

First Impressions: Depths of Yoth Player Cards

Handcuffs:  Hm.   A way to neutralize an enemy without killing them.  Maybe this is useful if you are playing 4 player and there is an enemy you dont want back in the deck?   My issue here is that the way it is set up,  you it's pretty much just like passing a combat check against them and using the enemy's evade value instead of their fight value.   So you probably could have already done 2 damage with your Machete.  That's good enough to kill a large chunk of the humanoid enemies.  And while it protects against further doom addition, it doesnt do anything about any doom a card has already acquired.   I think this is pretty handy against the brood of yig,  because of their potential for increased fight values and 3 hp.   But otherwise,  meh.     2.5/5   I admit I'm interested,  but  probably not a card to stay in the deck long-term.

Blood Eclipse 3X:  Well, at the very least it's fun.   You can do an awful lot of damage with this card, and you dont really have to be set up for it either.  I think this is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it's not easier to just hit them with a shotgun.   Could be useful if we see any more Poltergeist type enemies.   Unfortunately this is not available in scenario-1 of carcosa, and I think Poltergeist only shows up once later down the line.  The 3xp does seem a little bit of a heavy price to pay.  2.5/5   Stylish,  not sure if it's effective.

Feed the Mind 3X:  A nice draw engine, especially for seekers looking to quickly get back up into Higher Education territory.   Could be particularly useful on a certain scenario where card draw is important.  It does however put your card draw down to the whims of the chaos bag.   3/5  The good side of meh.

Colt Vest Pocket:   Cheap, for the all important +1 attack/damage.    A decent target for Sleight of Hand early in the campaign before you have Lupara or Chicago Typewriter.   Also a decent target for Fence if you are going that route.  Better if you're using Leo.   It's a cheap, thow-away gun, and it does that very nicely.   I wish it were fast though.   3/5 Handy, but needs at least one other card as backup to make it shine, IMO.

Coup de Grace:   Testless 1 damage at 0 xp cost to any enemy at your location.  That seems reasonable.   Good for aloof guys or enemies with the annoying 3hp.   I like this quite a lot.  Again, this is probably not a card that stays in my deck forever,  but I'm down with it to start.    3/5  for hitting them when they're down.

Skeleton Key 2X:  ahh.. yes please.   I've been wanting this for such a long time.   What can I say except it's great?  You can drop a shroud value into range of just about any character.  Note:  this sets you up for some easy burgling or succeed-by-2 shenanigans.  4.5/5  Hard to get much better.

Mists of Rlyeh 4X:    This is fine,  but ultimately I'm not going to spend 4xp on this.   I prefer the level-0 version.   I mean,  maybe if you're running 2x Arcane Research.  1.5/5,   it's just not worth the XP cost.

Winging It:  YES!   Survivors getting some much needed multi-clue access.   Even if it's just a little bit, once in a while, that's fine,  that's exactly what they need.  4/5  Just what the Doctor ordered.

Old Hunting Rifle 3X:   Hm...   The bonuses are nice,  but auto-fail on the skull is tough.  I dont honestly know on this one.   2.5/5   Do you feel lucky?   Well,  do you?

Thermos:   First off there seems to be a mistake on the Arkham DB page.   That page lists this as 1 xp,  it's actually 0 xp.  Still, it's like a more expensive first aid that's vastly improved if you have lots of trauma.   Problem is that characters dont really have trauma at the beginning of the campaign, and arent probably willing to put this in to a deck midway through.   First Aid is also not considered particularly impressive.   1.5/5,  too expensive for what it does.

Hemispheric Map 3X:  I admit I was not impressed with the Otherworldly Compass from earlier in the cycle.  This seems to follow more or less the same mechanic.   2/5  Ok, but aren't there better amulets?

Timeworn Brand 5X:   It's... a super machete?   I mean... I guess?   I think this is probably pretty good for the characters who want to fight but dont have access to the guardian weapons, like William Yorrick and maybe Finn/Jenny/Calvin.  Guardians are probably taking Shotgun or Lightning Gun instead.    3/5,  Depends on who you are.

That about wraps it up.   Looking forward to playing some new cards and more Arkham!

2 hours ago, awp832 said:

Handcuffs:  Hm.   A way to neutralize an enemy without killing them.  Maybe this is useful if you are playing 4 player and there is an enemy you dont want back in the deck?   My issue here is that the way it is set up,  you it's pretty much just like passing a combat check against them and using the enemy's evade value instead of their fight value.   So you probably could have already done 2 damage with your Machete.  That's good enough to kill a large chunk of the humanoid enemies.  And while it protects against further doom addition, it doesnt do anything about any doom a card has already acquired.   I think this is pretty handy against the brood of yig,  because of their potential for increased fight values and 3 hp.   But otherwise,  meh.     2.5/5   I admit I'm interested,  but  probably not a card to stay in the deck long-term.

There are a couple enemy setups that make handcuffs useful.

1)If they have a high fight but a low evade so you don't have to risk a failure on the check(they may have retaliate as well)

2)if they have a lot of hit points you end up saving a lot of actions

3)In Forgotten Age particularly you might be able to avoid racking up Vengeance points.

3 hours ago, awp832 said:

Thermos:   First off there seems to be a mistake on the Arkham DB page.   That page lists this as 1 xp,  it's actually 0 xp.  Still, it's like a more expensive first aid that's vastly improved if you have lots of trauma.   Problem is that characters dont really have trauma at the beginning of the campaign, and arent probably willing to put this in to a deck midway through.   First Aid is also not considered particularly impressive.   1.5/5,  too expensive for what it does.

I'm playing Finn in Forgotten Age. We're about to go into Depths of Yoth and my trauma count is 3 and 2 (I forget which). I've also got 2 copies of adaptable so this is an auto-include for me when I do my deck upgrade/point spending before we do the scenario. I agree it's not good at the beginning of a campaign, but FA is brutal with how much trauma you can accumulate outside of the scenarios.

I think timeworn Brand is awesome for all the folks who need an extra hand. A fighty rogue like Skidds or Finn, with lockpicks in the other. Rex with a Mag glass or compass in the other, Roland too. Akachi can dual wield Statue + Brand and be outright scary, so can Jim. Silas and Yorrick love them some new weapons altogether, both will enjoy still having access to flashlights/newspaper.

Also for guardians. Brand and Eclipse click together like sugar and spice. Both reward decent Willpower and the special trigger on Brand + the Eclipse basically means that you have shotgun charges ready whenever you need them.

Edited by tsuruki

This reminds me: How did recall the Future work out for you? I am genuinely interested.

OT: I am a huge fan of mists of r'lyeh. Can't wait to upgrade to the lvl 4 version for my Pater Mateo deck

1 hour ago, mwmcintyre said:

There are a couple enemy setups that make handcuffs useful.

1)If they have a high fight but a low evade so you don't have to risk a failure on the check(they may have retaliate as well)

2)if they have a lot of hit points you end up saving a lot of actions

3)In Forgotten Age particularly you might be able to avoid racking up Vengeance points.

All good points except none of the vengeance things are valid Handcuff targets ?

OK here we go. I really like these cards - I'm not sure they're necessarily power cards, but there's quite a lot of great flavour going on, and they're hardly weak. I will again also be thinking about theme and art, because they are great (particularly here).

Handcuffs: This card is pretty great. Much like Fine Clothes it's a card that will definitely get less effective as the campaign goes on, but that's completely fine - I'm glad there's a niche for cards designed to be taken earlier and upgraded out of. If you assume you're taking an enemy out entirely, there's quite a few good targets early on in a campaign. I think the best use for this is to take out the stronger Humanoid enemies that don't give VP - Wizard of the Order, particularly if you can get him into play outside of the Mythos phase, or other doom-gaining cards, particularly in Echoes of the Past, Ravenous Ghoul, etc., or to deal with any enemy with more than 2 hp to save you actions (and potentially ammo). It can even be worth using it to temporarily or permanently incapacitate a VP enemy - you miss out on the XP if you don't eventually execute your prisoner, but sometimes you don't have a choice. Particularly notable is the fact that it doesn't take up any slots - this is handy for keeping together with Machete for situations where you have more than one enemy to deal with, so you can Handcuff one and then Machete the other. There's quite a few Humanoid enemies that have high Combat values but low Evade values, such as Flesh-Eater or Maniac, and it's handy for enemies that you'd rather not kill, such as those with Vengeance in TFA, or the Lunatic enemies in Carcosa. I think it is a lot better with more players - not only are you more likely to encounter more enemies to deal with as a Guardian, but you'll also be more likely to reshuffle the encounter deck, and it can be nice to take a horrible enemy out of the encounter deck altogether (much like a Victory Display deck in LOTR LCG). On 1-2 player I think it loses a lot of its effectiveness. You could even keep a pet enemy handcuffed at a high-shroud location for Eavesdrop and Scene of the Crime - I don't think this is necessarily a strong tactic but it is an amusing one. Clearly best for those with the most Fight - I'd definitely take it on Mark.

Art is fine, with a few nice details such as the other wounds to the person's forearms, but nothing too impressive - but it does the job. The flavour of the card is awesome and evoked well with its mechanics, a really great way to expand the range of options available to Guardian without straying outside of the Guardian niche and identity (much like Scene of the Crime).

Blood Eclipse: When I first saw this card, I got excited. Then I thought harder about it and got disappointed. Now I've come full circle to being positive about it, but it's definitely a niche card. Much like the BAR, being able to choose how much damage your attack does is a strong and versatile effect, and it's very cheap to play, making it potentially very effective as a backup or emergency option. Much like Handcuffs, it's particularly effective if you're relying on Machete in order to deal with those situations where you have 2 enemies engaged with you, and Mark can benefit from taking damage. You could do a LOT of damage in one action if you have Brother Xavier and a willingness to sacrifice him. It's a LOT of exp for the effect though - I wonder why they felt it was worth 3 exp instead of 2. The fact that it uses Willpower can be a bit of a problem for some Guardians - taking a base 3 Will attack with Mark is a bit of a letdown compared to his base 5 Fight. Zoey can probably make good use of it, and Carolyn Fern should definitely be giving it a good look. It can be used by Calvin as well, and taking damage could help him power up, but it's again quite a lot of exp for the privilege.

I kind of love the art - the head of the figure is a bit goofy but the overall effect is really gruesome. I would never have expected this card, but the flavour is pretty good as well - a straightforward and compelling way to ask "What are you willing to give up?"

Feed the Mind: I am instantly suspicious of all cards that make you take tests you otherwise weren't going to, as you're opening yourself up to more bad effects from the Chaos Bag. Having said that, the test on this card is base 0 difficulty which makes things a bit less of a problem (you're much less likely to run afoul of "Reveal another token, if you fail get screwed" or similar Chaos Token effects). If you need cards a lot (e.g. Minh) it's an attractive option, but it's 3 exp - which would be far better spent saving up for Cryptic Research and then Eidetic Memory. You're spending an action, 2 resources and a card to get it into play, and the fact that it has a horror penalty if you draw too many cards is potentially very risky as there's no maximum amount of cards - for instance, if you draw Elder Sign you could end up drawing far too many cards. The fact that you could potentially draw a huge amount of cards is also risky because you're very likely to hit weaknesses. It uses Secrets so you could recharge it with Truth from Fiction, but there's still not enough useful cards that feature Uses (Secrets) for this to be a significant selling-point. Ultimately I think this is a fun card but still not worth using, particularly on higher difficulties - you're at risk of both wasting your time and resources because you get a bad draw, and overdrawing and harming yourself.

Art is totally nondescript, yet another vaguely arcane book. Shame because Feed the Mind from Eldritch Horror has this wonderfully megalomaniacal art (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/eldritchhorrorgame/images/0/02/Feed_the_Mind_Front.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/180?cb=20160728174615). Flavour is kind of eh, it's a standard concept and the idea of making a test to see how much benefit you get is nothing new.

Colt Vest Pocket: It's better than the other level 0 Rogue weapons, possibly except for the Derringer, at least. It's cheap and +1 to hit/+1 damage is the baseline for "A weapon worth using", so I will probably be taking this on any future Jenny or Finn decks (or Skids, not that I'm ever likely to play him). I think it's a mistake to think you have to use all 5 ammo - it's there in case you happen to be able to use it, rather than what you're expecting to do with it. Since it's not Fast and there's no text ignoring Attack of Opportunity, it's not that good as a card to use when you get ambushed unless you're keeping a Sleight of Hand in hand as well or you have Fence out, as it has that Illicit keyword. This is a bit better with Finn because he can use his free Evade first and then pull out the Colt to gun the enemy down. I'd say you take this to start with and upgrade it into Lupara later on.

The art is very meh. Obviously it's a perfectly good picture of a gun, but the background is a bit weird. Perhaps it's meant to be discarded on the floor with dropped roses as a kind of melodramatic aftermath of a mob hit, but it's still unappealing, as the Typewriter has that theme done far better, and the BAR, Lightning Gun and Lupara all have better backgrounds. I loathe the mechanical flavour because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What's stopping you taking out a gun before you enter the room? Why does the gun disintegrate at the end of your turn? Where did you buy a weapon that's so prone to spontaneous combustion?

Coup de Grace: This card is both really cool and pretty strong, and it's a nice solution to Aloof enemies (those Whippoorwills are a prime target). Relatively cheap for testless damage, and being testless it becomes stronger on higher difficulties. Doesn't provoke AOO and also doesn't have any requirements for (non-)engagement, which is lovely – this is particularly great because it works both for fighting characters who need 1 more damage to finish off those 3 hp enemies, and for non-fighting characters using Sneak Attack and so on. The fact that it ends your turn limits its effectiveness but it's a necessary limitation, and it cantrips if it deals the (aha) Coup de Grace which really makes up for the problem of using one action to deal 1 damage, giving you a nice refund if you use it to deal the last point of damage. It also has the all-important double matching icons, making it usable as a skill if you don't need it as an event. 2 copies are going in all my Rogue decks and probably Wendy and maybe even Leo as well.

Art is a bit goofy but really dynamic and I kind of love it. First card in the pack to have flavour text as well - it's not super creative but it is pretty fun. The overall theme of the card in terms of mechanics together with flavour is extremely strong. Best card in the pack so far.

The Skeleton Key: The card that launched a thousand rules queries! This is a pretty crazy card. You can't really build a strategy around it (short of using like No Stone Unturned (5), maybe if we ever get a 5/2 Seeker/Rogue) as you can only have one in your deck, but it's exceptionally strong. You can let practically any investigator have an easy time investigating a location, and if needed you can take it to a new place. I think this card is best on 3-4 players and weakest on 2-player. Because its effect helps everyone, using it on a location with loads of clues is a huge benefit to the whole team, and there's more clues with more players, but it could also find a place in 1-player if you aren't really good at investigating, as you can pick it up and take it with you (an annoying requirement so it's not a consistently useful strategy, but rogues do at least get more actions to play with). The cost is pretty fair for what it is and it also nullifies high-shroud locations and completely counters Obscuring Fog etc. If you can spare the 4 exp I would say it's worth taking a copy on most rogues. Only gets better with effects like Deduction (2) and Archaic Glyphs: Guiding Stones, as you're going to be able to hit some really high levels of success, meaning that the effect is useful both for non-seekers (letting them investigate locations they otherwise wouldn't) and for dedicated clue-gatherers (letting them get full use out of their effects for gathering multiple clues). Also worth mentioning that it combos nicely with Lola Santiago, giving you a major discount on her effect.

Art is understated but nice and creepy, and the theme is very awesome, perfect way to have investigation effects with a rogue theme. Could have done with some cool flavour text though...

Mists of R'lyeh (4)

Not much to say really, this is the most straightforward spell upgrade - exactly the same effect as the level 0 version with a big skill bonus. It's solid for the same reason that Mists of R'lyeh (0) is solid - it's a repeatable additional option for dealing with enemies as an addition to Shrivelling, and it's nice to be able to evade when the game calls for it (particularly in parts of The Forgotten Age). The 4 exp cost is a high burden for nothing but a skill bonus, but Arcane Research attenuates the cost. It wouldn't be my first choice for upgrade unless I was playing multiplayer in a group with lots of fighters, but it will eventually be worth the cost. If she can afford it, Akachi Onyele is better off upgrading to Suggestion than Mists of R'lyeh (4) - it's the same bonus at base, with the only disadvantage being that you can't commit Willpower cards to the test, and while it has fewer charges, they do double duty as copies of Dodge while she uses Shrivelling, and she gets more charges as standard in addition to her unique asset giving her unlimited recharging of spells if she has the resources. The other disadvantage is that she isn't able to use Arcane Research for the upgrade, so if exp is really tight she might still want to look at Mists of R'lyeh (4), but between 2 copies of Shrivelling upgraded twice each, 2 copies of Rite of Seeking upgraded once and 2 copies of Ward of Protection upgraded twice, she has enough things to use her Arcane Research on for an entire campaign if she's willing to space the upgrades out.

I really like the Mists of R'lyeh art, including the green colour evoking a Cthulhu theme and the awesome seamless blend into the background. Mechanically it's an incredibly boring card, but it's a niche that Mystics needed filling.

Winging It: This card is just great. Just as The Skeleton Key was a perfect investigation card for a rogue theme, this is a perfect card for a survivor theme. If you can find a location with 1 Shroud it's a nearly guaranteed success, which is nice (shame it doesn't work with The Skeleton Key). Even without that, however, it's a good card - Survivor has plenty of tools for discarding cards so you can take advantage of the play-from-discard kicker without having to play it normally first, though doing so isn't the worst idea especially on 3-player, to get you 3 clues with 2 actions. Another way to get 3 clues with this card is with Newspaper (2) and I actually would say this card makes me more likely to want to pick Newspaper (2) up. There's not really any survivors with a strong investigation theme (aside from Calvin everyone has 2-3 Intellect, and this doesn't work with Duke for Ashcan Pete) but it'll still let you contribute - and obviously it's attractive for Minh Thi Phan to help her with action compression. It's not as good a card as Deduction but it's solid - and it's much better than the similar Improvised Weapon, both because Survivor has fewer investigation tools than combat tools and because investigation is consistently useful - and if you do fail, you're going to be less disadvantaged (out an action and maybe a card) compared to if you fail to kill an enemy (because it will also eat your face off). The fact that Winging It (like Flashlight) can be useful for low-Intellect investigators also makes it attractive for Mark Harrigan, who can pick it up as it is a Tactic.

Art is awesome, totally brings the theme of the card to life. The thematics of the card design are peak Survivor and I hope we see a further expansion of the Improvised trait in the future.

Old Hunting Rifle: A rifle that's actually worth using, suck it Springfield! Ok, ok. It's not in the same league as the non-Springfield high-end Guardian weapons, but it's nice and cheap, both in terms of exp and resources, and it gives Survivors what they've been missing - a weapon above level 0. This is great news for William Yorick, who has previously found it a bit hard to keep pace as you go through the campaign and he's stuck with level 0-2 Guardian weapons and the level 0 Survivor and Neutral weapons to use, as well as for Silas Marsh, who has the Combat skill to be a monster-killer but no weapon upgrades to show for it. The kicker where a Skull is autofail and jams the gun is reminiscent of the Baseball Bat and it seems a natural progression to go from the bat to the Old Hunting Rifle, but the fact that it autofails the test is really horrible - in Carcosa, for instance, having 4 auto-fail tokens in the bag is a nightmare, and the other campaigns will leave you with 3 auto-fails which is still really vicious - plus, the fact that the gun jams rather than being discarded is actually a disadvantage of sorts for Yorick as it means he can't just get it back with his Response, unlike the Baseball Bat. Especially given the existence of the Timeworn Brand later in this pack as another option for survivors looking for a weapon, it's actually not as simple as saying that it's the only option for Survivors to upgrade into. It's a firearm, so Yorick can use it with Marksmanship and even Eat Lead! (not that I necessarily recommend it), and it works well alongside Live and Learn as insurance if you get the skull or auto-fail. It also makes Improvised Weapon a bit more attractive as a backup option if your gun jams and you need a plan "b". It's worth mentioning that if you have a Mystic friend who is leaning into Seal mechanics, they could seal Skull for you, which is beneficial but does mean they wouldn't be sealing something potentially more harmful overall like a nasty Elder Thing effect. They could use Counterspell to save you, but unfortunately using Defiance and naming Skull isn't going to save you from the jam effect - a real shame especially for Silas. Overall it's not going to make survivors into top-tier monster killers overnight but I think it's fun and it has a lot of Survivor theme, and it feels balanced for its cost - obviously it's a gamble and generally consistency is highly important, but you are getting 3-damage attacks for a low price.

Art is simple but evocative - with all the weapon cards, since the foreground is just going to be a picture of the weapon, it's all about the story that the background tells, and this to me screams Yorick seeing something monstrous shuffling through the graveyard and running to the shed where that old .30 lever-action rifle has been collecting dust, and just hoping the bullets will actually fire. The mechanics are peak Survivor and I really appreciate the design of this card.

Thermos: I don't rate this card. It's basically worthless at the beginning of the game because it's First Aid (already not exactly a staple) at double the cost. It becomes better if you have accumulated Trauma, making it more attractive for The Forgotten Age, but then you have the unenviable choice of either starting with it and finding it a waste of a card for the first few scenarios, or taking it later and spending 1 exp for a level 0 card (that is still not exactly incredible even with the trauma kicker). I'd say you should leave it at home, except for the following two cases: One is Calvin Wright, who is likely to accumulate a lot of trauma and who is all about managing his health and sanity - it'll hurt his stats when he heals but it might be necessary, especially if you don't need one of the stats and haven't got enough soak out, but it does exacerbate his existing problem where he has to get set up with damage and horror, and then set up further with soak so he doesn't die, and then get his unique asset so he doesn't die from direct damage, etc. The other is for Agnes Baker. If you start with 2 copies of Arcane Research and this card, you will immediately be able to get the Trauma kicker. I don't think this is worth it for mystics in general as they already have good horror healing with Fearless, already have high Sanity pools and already have resource problems without buying a 4-cost asset, but for Agnes it's a very attractive option as she usually balks at Arcane Research as she already wants to take horror in order to use her ability; since she should always run with 2 copies of Forbidden Knowledge, she also has an easier time getting resources together, and healing horror lets her use her Response more often. It's not going to be mandatory for Agnes but I would strongly consider it alongside the Arcane Research.

Art is a nice picture of a Thermos, what do you want from me? But I do like the soup it shows, which certainly looks hearty and warm but somehow unappealing - perfect for a miserable expedition into the jungle. In terms of the theme of the card, I wouldn't have expected it exists and I actually actively dislike it - healing is a strong part of the identity of certain classes, and giving it to everyone is not something I like, even if it's in the form of a mostly unremarkable card.

Hemispheric Map: Just like Crystalline Elder Sign, this card is a joke at 3 exp. Much of the time but not all the time, this card is going to give you +1 to Willpower and Intellect. The +2 kicker is rarely going to trigger and you're rarely going to be able to engineer it to take advantage of it as part of a strategy, so it's at most an occasional bonus. If you're using this, it's hopefully because you need both Intellect and Willpower, and if a Mystic wants those stats they should be using St Hubert's Key, which is consistently active, gives you a sanity heal and costs you the princely sum of 0 exp (ok it's 2 resources more expensive but that's not enough of a selling point). If a Mystic only wants Willpower surely they just want a Holy Rosary? A seeker could take it I guess, if they don't need their accessory slot for anything, but even then it's a lacklustre benefit - unless they're using spells (and therefore have access to the Mystic cards listed above) the Willpower is mostly just going to be for treachery cards, and in that case Tooth of Eztli is a superior option in almost every way - so you're spending 3 exp and your accessory slot for +1 Intellect which is just an awful return on investment. The +2 is occasionally going to happen, but so is +0, and surprisingly often (e.g. it will switch off just in time to not help you with the Graveyard in Midnight Masks, and won't help you investigate the Engine Car in the Essex County Express). Woe betide you if you take this card to the Carnevale of Horrors. I also really dislike the amount of logistics involved in this card - you have to constantly keep an eye on your current location and its connections, and be particularly aware of one-way connections. Otherworldly Compass was maybe something that Roland Banks would want, but I don't think there's a single investigator who should take this card.

It's a shame because I quite like the art - arcane glowy stuff on a map makes a nice change to arcane glowy stuff on a book. The theme, much like Otherworldly Compass, is pretty evocative of an exploration theme but I think this particular set of mechanics doesn't have any legs and is a pain to keep track of.

Timeworn Brand: I didn't see this coming either and yet I really love it. It's an obvious choice for upgrading from Machete, if you can afford the experience and resources, and giving almost every investigator access to a powerful high-level weapon is nice, particularly as it doesn't overshadow the Guardian options. +2 to hit and +1 damage all day long is just solid, and the once per game effect is a really nice tool. I like that it's a good choice even for Guardians, too - obviously Lightning Gun, BAR and Shotgun are really big guns and you can do great things with them but I'd say unlimited +2, 2-damage attacks is a valid alternative. I think it's particularly attractive for Zoey - she likes Machete anyway because she likes engaging things and she has the thematic link to knives rather than guns, and she has 4 Will and 4 Fight so she can make good use of the OPG. She also has loads of resources so the high 5-resource cost is less of an issue for her, and because of her plentiful resources the card draw from the OPG is very handy for her. Leo gets a lot out of the BAR with Contraband and also has access to the Switchblade (2) as an upgrade of sorts to Machete, but he might also want this as his access to Rogue does give him a lot of resource potential - I don't think it's a weapon for Mark as he already has loads of card draw and no economy. It's also tempting for Yorick and even for Silas, despite his lacklustre Willpower, though as said above they will also want to consider the Old Hunting Rifle, and Yorick already has huge economy issues. It might actually be a tempting option for certain mystics, specifically Jim, if it wasn't for the high cost in terms of exp and resources. It could also be a slightly janky option for the just-announced Diana Stanley if she ends up with the resources and exp for it, as it will let her swing for a respectable 5 early game when she's still getting set up and doesn't have the willpower for her spells, and then later on she can use the OPG for a huge attack with her boosted willpower.

The art is fine, I guess - there's no interesting background, but as it's a macuahuitl it has an inherently interesting design. The mechanics of it are really cool, and I really like this as a neutral relic weapon (despite utterly hating the Ornate Bow).

Edited by Allonym
Forgot about Mists of R'lyeh!

21 minutes ago, tsuruki said:

All good points except none of the vengeance things are valid Handcuff targets ?

Not true, the Serpent of Tenochtitlán is a non-elite vengeance humanoid, and even the one-turn evade for Elite targets is a solid option for getting away from the Harbinger of Valusia or Padma Amrita.

Still disappointed that there are not more generic ally options for Leo.  I am also not seeing a ton of Blessed cards for Mateo that are not mystic.  Relics did well this cycle.

SO here goes, short and sweet version:

Handcuffs - neat and cool, a good option for a l0 card.

Blood Eclipse - This is a Calvin card.  Zoey can use it as well.

Feed the Mind - For 1 xp more, I feel Cryptic Research is better most of the time.  Sure you can draw more cards with Feed the Mind, but each use takes an action.

Colt Vest Pocket - First off, I feel they got the order word wrong.  Secondly, its a good card.

Coup de Grace - Good, solid card.  I might either use it and replace it with Sneak Attack 2 or use it in combination with Sneak Attacks.  Rogues got a lot of great events this cycle.

The Skeleton Key - Great card.  Exceptional cards can't be counted on to come up during any one game though.

Mists of R'lyeh 4 - Its a pretty boring upgrade.  1 extra charge and +3 to your test.  That being said if Mists is in your deck, its a good upgrade to buy as that break point of testing 5 to evade versus 8 to evade is a big deal.

Winging It - Love it, gonna get some use out of this.

Old Hunting Rifle - Glad to see that Survivor is getting a high level weapon.

Thermos - really expensive for what it does. 

Hemispheric Map - I like it, but there is a fair amount of contention for that accessory slot.  This actually may be a good deal for a non mystic, non seeker character.  Like a rogue, survivor or guardian who wants to get his investigate up and help mitigate his low will who isn't doing much with their accessory slot.

Timeworn Brand - It is great but 5 xp cards are brutal on the expenditure.  Plus a +2 to fight isn't enough to get you into safe attack territory.  You need to supplement it with something else that boosts your fight.  You are going to end up spending over half your xp on the brands and the boosts you need to make it hit consistently.

I just wanted to point out that Hatchetman and Coup de Grace have some nice synergy for characters that have low fight and need to take out a 2 health monster rather than waste turns evading every turn. No need to pull a token for the damage at all.

EDIT (random thoughts and observations not noted): Thermos is also a great candidate for rogues with adaptable late game. They have more disposable resources typically. Also useful for Carolyn as she gets resources back if she targets healing horror.

Blood Eclipse can be fueled by damaging your assets. This means you can pack  your deck with disposable allies if you have them, use it the same turn you Red-Gloved-Man or splash a damage on to Armor of Ardennes for a free buff.

Edited by Soakman

6 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I just wanted to point out that Hatchetman and Coup de Grace have some nice synergy for characters that have low fight and need to take out a 2 health monster rather than waste turns evading every turn. No need to pull a token for the damage at all.

EDIT: Thermos is also a great candidate for rogues with adaptable late game.

Both valid points, especially as rogues have the economy to actually play the Thermos, and maybe can spare the actions to use it. It's still not a great card but if you have that much trauma, you may have no other choice. The flavour of that is really daft though, stumbling back to camp with broken ribs and hallucinations, it's finally the time to break out the secret weapon - that flask of soup.

You have to wonder what's in the soup, if it's as good or better than Liquid Courage at healing horror once your mind is already traumatised...

53 minutes ago, Allonym said:

Both valid points, especially as rogues have the economy to actually play the Thermos, and maybe can spare the actions to use it. It's still not a great card but if you have that much trauma, you may have no other choice. The flavour of that is really daft though, stumbling back to camp with broken ribs and hallucinations, it's finally the time to break out the secret weapon - that flask of soup.

You have to wonder what's in the soup, if it's as good or better than Liquid Courage at healing horror once your mind is already traumatised...

Thank you for this.

1 hour ago, Allonym said:

You’re quite correct, Magic soup would be ridiculous...

Being from the British Isles, I had assumed it was a flask of restorative sugary tea. That’ll sort you out, whatever state you’re in!

1 hour ago, Allonym said:

Have you played Mansions of Madness 2e?  The Thermos here is nerfed compared to that one.

2 hours ago, Allonym said:

Clearly it is chicken soup.

How does that help?

It couldn't hurt!

Its weird to think but Thermos technology was relatively new at the time, the first US based Thermos manufacturer just starting up in 1907.  Okay twenty years is a long time, but technology didn't move that fast back then.  Heck, Lovecraft made a huge deal about telescope technology and complexity in "The Dunwich Horror" and that tech was around for centuries.

I maintain what chases away the horror and wounds isn't what's in the Thermos, its that fact that mankind has found a way to keep beverages warm for such an extended period of time.  If mankind can keep coffee warm for so long, nothing is beyond their reach.  They can defeat Nyartholtep in a bare knuckle brawl if needed.

34 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Its weird to think but Thermos technology was relatively new at the time, the first US based Thermos manufacturer just starting up in 1907.  Okay twenty years is a long time, but technology didn't move that fast back then.  Heck, Lovecraft made a huge deal about telescope technology and complexity in "The Dunwich Horror" and that tech was around for centuries.

I maintain what chases away the horror and wounds isn't what's in the Thermos, its that fact that mankind has found a way to keep beverages warm for such an extended period of time.  If mankind can keep coffee warm for so long, nothing is beyond their reach.  They can defeat Nyartholtep in a bare knuckle brawl if needed.

Thank you, I’d never considered Thermos as a symbol of Humanity’s struggle against entropy! Brilliant!

25 minutes ago, Raahk said:

I received my pack today and i think that all cards are awesome ??
Out of all the mythos packs, i enjoyed this the most 

Yeah I have been a little disappointed in general for the player cards for this cycle.  Not that there haven't been good cards, but I have often been a little bored by them.

This one got me excited when I read through the cards.