Sign in to follow this  
Oklahoma33

What if two cards say conflicting things?

I have Pitlord. He says that I must choose Dis as my active house.

My oppo plays Restringuntus that says I can't choose the house he declares (Dis) as my active House.

Which is the rule in all conflictual cases?

Edited by Oklahoma33

I have a feeling the negative (you cannot do this) of any conflict would win, you would have to pass your turn.

You have to pick DIS due to Pitlord, but your opponent says you cannot choose DIS, therefore, you have no other option to choose and have to pass.

We'll see if they FAQ it at some point.

You do as much of a card as you can right? So when Pitlord says you must choose, but you cannot I’d say you’re free to choose one of the other two.

That’s just an opinion though, FFG might rule differently (but I doubt it).

The rules say that "If there is no legal choice of house, the player plays the turn with no active house." If two cards say "you must" you can choose one of them, but this situation is a "you must" combined with a "you must not". Technically, playing with no house choice satisfies both conditions. (You must choose Dis as your active house - but if you have no active house you need not choose Dis)

Thus, most so far have interpreted the restringuntus + pitlord as a lock for the pitlord player. It's a dangerous card to play (but can be powerful).

I don't recall if there is an official ruling on it or not.

From the rules under House Choice:

If there is no legal choice of house, the player plays the turn with no active house.

Be very careful when or even if you decide to play Pitlord.  I've seen more than one game end because the Pitlord player was simply shut out of a game due to bad planning...

The golden rule is that the cards take precedence to the rules, there is no rule that gives priority to cards that say cannot over those that don't.

So in this case as @dperello states, you don't have a valid choice and must play without an active house, which I assume would allow you to play Omni cards.

1 hour ago, dperello said:

From the rules under House Choice:

If there is no legal choice of house, the player plays the turn with no active house.

Where did you see that? I went looking, and the closest I could find was the golden rule of cards taking priority over rulebook. Which normally is fine, but choosing an active house is so central to the progression of the turn that I would like verification.