ForceM

The A-wing is where they dropped the ball

1 hour ago, Mward1984 said:

We aren't getting dual EPT's back. Whilst you could never really break the game with those in 1.0, in 2.0 they probably don't want to have to worry about combo possibilities of something that can combine Talents.

I feel like you're probably right about the attack dice, and it's particularily bad right now because the 1.0 fix for that: Prockets got nerfed pretty hard with it's bullseye only arc change and points increase, which was required when they simplified it's attack dice mechanics. So right now the A-Wing is like a pre-ATC TIE-Advanced.

Two attack dice ships are either ordinance boats, or cheap sacrifical blocking chaff, and since rebels already have headhunters who are cheaper for that role, there's no place for the A-Wing there.

They need access to a high damage missile that only they can make work or at least some way of upping their firepower that doesn't step on the toes of the Resistance A-Wing, although, to be honest since they're different factions now I feel that should be less of a factor. A range 0-1 missile with 4 attack dice and 2 ammo might do it.

swz19_a1_primed-thrusters.png
Here's what's going to make the RZ2 extremely good.

The RZ1 doesn't have anything like this at all. It needs something similar but different. The TIE Interceptor basically gets a choice of boost or barrel roll, the A-Wing just gets the boost... and for what? For what? What is it gaining that the TIE Interceptor doesn't have?

Nothing. Not a single thing. It has zero advantages.

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

The RZ1 doesn't have anything like this at all. It needs something similar but different. The TIE Interceptor basically gets a choice of boost or barrel roll, the A-Wing just gets the boost... and for what? For what? What is it gaining that the TIE Interceptor doesn't have?

:) Quadrijet Spacetugs are going to love these too. :)

4 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

The RZ1 is 4 points cheaper, has two shields, the target lock action, a blue 5-straight, and a missile slot. Jake's ability in particular is very strong in an action-starved meta, though his I4 does admittedly throttle his utility.

At present, that missile slot is basically just worse than a 3-die primary. We'll see if that changes when more missiles are added.

I don't think anyone will argue that the interceptor isn't in a better spot right now. But to say that the A-Wing is a strictly worse ship is just not true. 

8 minutes ago, hargleblarg said:

The RZ1 is 4 points cheaper

In relation to the RZ-2? Have they released the costs of the Wave 2 ships and I've just missed it?

Never mind, you meant in relation to the TIE Interceptor.. Misread. :)

Edited by Hiemfire

9 minutes ago, hargleblarg said:

The RZ1 is 4 points cheaper, has two shields, the target lock action, a blue 5-straight, and a missile slot. Jake's ability in particular is very strong in an action-starved meta, though his I4 does admittedly throttle his utility.

At present, that missile slot is basically just worse than a 3-die primary. We'll see if that changes when more missiles are added.

I don't think anyone will argue that the interceptor isn't in a better spot right now. But to say that the A-Wing is a strictly worse ship is just not true. 

What we need is an EPT that allows a target lock after an attack or hit. Otherwise, A-Wings will never be viable. Having to pause to take that target lock action instead of an evade, boost, barrel roll, or focus, is such a huge, huge disadvantage for the A-Wing. The missile slot just is not worth it.

Honestly, it never has been. That's why Test Pilot was so good.

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

What we need is an EPT that allows a target lock after an attack or hit. Otherwise, A-Wings will never be viable. Having to pause to take that target lock action instead of an evade, boost, barrel roll, or focus, is such a huge, huge disadvantage for the A-Wing. The missile slot just is not worth it.

The most interesting thing to me about the new A-Wings is that they get their chardaan refit price reduction while keeping their missile slot. Right now, 2.0 missiles are very weak, but future upgrades could turn these A's into efficient missile carriers.

Also interesting would be giving them a second missile slot so they could equip barrage rockets. Very flavorful and all it would take would be an app update. A man can dream.

4 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Prockets… Might not be the perfect upgrade for the A-Wing but fits the current "Zoom in, shoot, zoom out" that the chassis seems to prefer.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Prockets… Might not be the perfect upgrade for the A-Wing but fits the current "Zoom in, shoot, zoom out" that the chassis seems to prefer.

Unfortunately, this feeds right into the problem A-Wings are having with their low initiatives.

3 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

If A-Wings were as good as the contrarians in this thread purport them to be, then they would see them doing so on the table. They are bad and the fact that they have made essentially no showing in any of the competitive events so far supports this. The only place where they are the blocking superstar is in the one match where people tested it before moving on to other, real ships.

How many tournaments have we had?  How many people even took A-wings?  

11 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah an Awing with prockets since now its bullseye bound is more than likely going to get shot to **** and back before they get to use that focus to fire them.

Good focus fire my cheap 3 evade ship with a focus over the other threats.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Icelom said:

Good focus fire my cheap 3 evade ship with a focus over the other threats.

Thank you.

Ignore that same ship at your own risk as well. Might not be firing first, but with prockets it is going to run a good chance of hitting hard when it does fire.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Ignore that same ship at your own risk as well. Might not be firing first, but with prockets it is going to run a good chance of hitting hard when it does fire.

Yep I am happy either way, that's why a proton rocket a-wing is great.

11 minutes ago, hargleblarg said:

All of the above is moot unless the A-Wing actually manages to land something in its bullseye

If I force your aces to spend actions arc dodging my Bullseye then I accomplished something without ever spending the missile.

I have ran proton rocket tie v1's many times (very similar to a-wing) and I have yet to not fire my missiles in a game with them. It's a hard to hit threat that hits like a truck once it lines up the shot. Boost + focus is great for lining that up.

I can't think of a better 37pts then a proton rocket a-wing.

Edited by Icelom

2 minutes ago, Icelom said:

If I force your aces to spend actions arc dodging my Bullseye then I accomplished something without ever spending the missile.

I have ran proton rocket tie v1's many times (very similar to a-wing) and I have yet to not fire my missiles in a game with them. It's a hard to hit threat that hits like a truck once it lines up the shot. 

I can't think of a better 37pts then a proton rocket a-wing.

Totally fair. I am not confident enough in my ability to predict my opponent's dials to be able to constantly line up that bullseye, and I suspect many here fit into that boat. If you have that skill, than those points are absolutely well spent.

Me, I'll probably experiment with 3 intimidating blockers with X-Wings on the flank.

4 phoenix squadrons with prockets + wedge. 200 points. Seems very fun. Its gonna be hard to dodge 4 bullseyes. Now to get another conversion kit for the extra dial and 2 extra phoenix cards....grumble grumble....

What hurts about the low initiative procket deliverer is that sometimes you may have to spend the focus on defence in order to stay alive. Then u cant shoot your rocket :(

but yes i agree i think a-wings are missing a talent or missle at the moment.

9 minutes ago, TBot said:

4 phoenix squadrons with prockets + wedge. 200 points. Seems very fun. Its gonna be hard to dodge 4 bullseyes. Now to get another conversion kit for the extra dial and 2 extra phoenix cards....grumble grumble....

What hurts about the low initiative procket deliverer is that sometimes you may have to spend the focus on defence in order to stay alive. Then u cant shoot your rocket :(

but yes i agree i think a-wings are missing a talent or missle at the moment.

If you can fit Squad Leader on Wedge it might help The Phoenix's get in position.

1 hour ago, AgencyBurglar said:

If we're talking fun, A-Wings are a blast.  If we're talking competition, it's not their time because there are simply better things.

Sounds like what we’ve been saying about A-wings for, like , years now :(

43 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Dumb idea:
image.png.2ca532bb71b55345d879f7d275ff3805.png
Auxiliary Blasters: If your enemy is in your image.png.9553427164b97c8634394c38f1d60998.png arc, increase your firepower by 1.

Because like, the A-Wing's blasters- like any, have a gimbal. But if they're straight up slotted into the missile slots, they obviously won't be. Has to be fixed forward.

Scumy me sees that missile slot upgrade an starts thinking of Z-95s, Kihraxzs, Kimogilas, Scyks, YT's with their bowties forwards... Um yah, your idea might need some tweaking... :) Imagine Suhlak, Talonbane or Boba with those.

Edited by Hiemfire

40 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Scumy me sees that missile slot upgrade an starts thinking of Z-95s, Kihraxzs, Kimogilas, Scyks, YT's with their bowties forwards... Um yah, your idea might need some tweaking... :) Imagine Suhlak, Talonbane or Boba with those.

*Rebel Only