ForceM

The A-wing is where they dropped the ball

19 minutes ago, Phelan Boots said:

@Icelom I would counter your argument by pointing out that in this game a pilot’s Initiative value represents that character’s situational awareness and instincts.  Thus, low Initiative characters are easier to outmaneuver with higher Initiative characters.

This is why I (and apparently other people) don’t consider lower Initiative pilots “Aces” by either the in game or traditional sense.  Additionally I can’t think of any low Initiative ships that are good at soloing in a 1v1 situation.

They literally changed the wording from pilot skill to initiative because ffg felt tieing the initiative value to how good the pilots skills were was not what they wanted.

And yes I know you don't think any low ps ships are aces.... I do.

I might go so far as to say the PS1 interceptors are aces, they are very good at a 1v1 if flown correctly. (Find me something for the same points that can 1v1 them)

Edited by Icelom

I think Sabine has great shot at it.  A Scimitar with a Concussion missile, if it can out play the range games using rocks.  A Y-Wing with a Dorsal Turret can make a 180 arc.

This is all theoretical of course and doesn’t matter to the actual game or even what the discussion is about.  The point is that some of us would like a high Initiative pilot (Ace) in an A-Wing that can close out a game if flown well.

While efficient, a PS1 Interceptor is not a game closer.  (Neither are any of the things I proposed that counter it.)

2 minutes ago, Phelan Boots said:

I think Sabine has great shot at it.  A Scimitar with a Concussion missile, if it can out play the range games using rocks.  A Y-Wing with a Dorsal Turret can make a 180 arc.

This is all theoretical of course and doesn’t matter to the actual game or even what the discussion is about.  The point is that some of us would like a high Initiative pilot (Ace) in an A-Wing that can close out a game if flown well.

While efficient, a PS1 Interceptor is not a game closer.  (Neither are any of the things I proposed that counter it.)

In your opinion.

7 hours ago, Icelom said:

Furthermore an ace is someone who shot down 5 or more opponents (this varies but is probably the most accepted), not someone who was just good at pushing there aircraft to the highest potential, they can be but don't have to be, without situational awareness and instinct it does not matter how good you are at pushing your aircraft.

Actually an Ace has 6 opponents shot down, but that’s a trivial thing overall. 

@Phelan Boots, I didn’t say or mean to imply you didn’t like or fly the A-wings currently available and apologize if you took my response in such a way. 

@ForceM I won’t say that your want list for an I5 Pilot is unreasonable, unbalanced or anything like that. I do have a hard time seeing how getting said I5 Pilot fixes the issue you have with the A-Wing itself.

It will still throw 2 dice. Something you have admitted to. It would still get targeted and possibly blown up in an early combat since your other ships will struggle to keep up with the speed of the A-wing, according to what you’v Been stating. The higher cost means less ships and or options which you have said you want more of.

You seem to want an “Arc Dodging” ship. The thing is because ships can dodge arcs doesn’t make them great at it. Defenders, X-wings, Fangs, Sycks, and every other ship that can boost or barrel roll, can arc dodge in the right circumstances but that doesn’t make them good at it. The TIE Intercepters are unique in that they have the best  flexibility to dodge arcs by boosting and barrel rolling in which ever order gets them cleared on an angle. Then they combine that flexibility with the ability to also get tokens for mods to go with that. I personally get the impression that is ultimately what you want the A-Wing to do. However it’s Ability is not ever going to allow for that flexibility so it will likely never be able to do it quite like you want.

6 hours ago, Phelan Boots said:

The point is that some of us would like a high Initiative pilot (Ace) in an A-Wing that can close out a game if flown well.

Okay so this is something I see and then go wait a minute. Is the A-wing as it stands actually capable of being a closer?  Yes, in Theory any ship is capable or this feat. Is it likely or probable? With 2-3 dice at most since if you tacked on any Missles they are most likely spent by end game, it’s tough. Not impossible but an uphill battle especially against something like Luke, or a Defender or Phantom **** even an Intercepter might cause it issues pushing through damage.  

At which point you’re likely going to time. With A-wings being on the cheaper side of things, are you likely holding enough points to win that matchup? Maybe, but again in the not so much category. I just don’t see the argument based on the Quoted criteria.

Wanting a higher Initiative Pilot to be a better flanker/distraction and sure I can totally see and buy into that. I personally think Jake does that well, but sure I can buy an I5 being just a bit better doing that function. You stated or maybe it was Force but it sticks out for me. If you’re flying all A-wings, as an opponent I am going to try to go for higher pilot skills before lower ones in most cases. How would an I5 Pilot change that? 

I’m not against y’all having or wanting more options for a favorite ship. I am still questioning the Op and some of the defending of it.

Edited by Ronu

8 hours ago, Icelom said:

Wtf does that have to do with moving last?

There were aces in slower less manouverable fighter craft that defeated there opponents by predicting them and simply being more skilled not just waiting to react with suppperior aircraft.

Furthermore an ace is someone who shot down 5 or more opponents (this varies but is probably the most accepted), not someone who was just good at pushing there aircraft to the highest potential, they can be but don't have to be, without situational awareness and instinct it does not matter how good you are at pushing your aircraft.

So in x-wing I would connect it more to a ship being good at bringing down other ships 1v1 and you can be that at any initiative. 

Ah Iceholm, I see you still manifest to argue whenever I make a comment, hooray.  I was responding to the comment which I quoted, which was saying all A-wing pilots are Aces simply because the craft is maneuverable.  I refuted that, as the chassis is not the Ace, its the pilot or crewman who is the ace because of their veteran status. in this game that experience is one of the things represented by pilot status, along with reflexes and maybe luck.

it isnt simply being in a powerful ship that makes you an ace, its your pilot skill

@Ronu I understand why you’re skeptical about an A-Wing being able to close a game.  I addressed that very issue in an earlier post.  My proposed solution was double Talent slots such as the 1.0 title card.  It makes them unique amongst all the different flavors of arc dodger, and Predator + Outmanuever would probably actually put some damage in.  Then you also have issues running missiles or more than four ships.

Edited by Phelan Boots