ForceM

The A-wing is where they dropped the ball

+1 talent slot for all A-Wings

So i found a post where someone suggested to give the A-Wing another talent slot. Totally correct, but it really got me going and i replied this. I thought i should just make a new thread about it, because the ship sure would deserve better than it is:

The A-Wing is really the one point where i am totally p***** with FFG. One ship to make all the wrong decisions in 2.0 is better than make some wrong decisions on all ships i guess.

I understand why they completely dumpstered Miranda or JM5Ks from 1st. It was just an overreaction.

But seriously, what has the A-Wing ever done to them? The costing is not even the problem. But the role they force it into. 

It is an Ace platform gosh dangit. And they force it into a support and blocking role. It’s not bad at blocking admittedly, but an iconic ship like this needs a high PS (5 since 6 would be wishing too much) Ace with a selfish ability. If you wanna dumpster Tycho, that’s a decision, but then call him John Doe and give him any self-enhancing ability instead if you must, but give the A-Wing a worthy pilot.

And not having a real ace is honestly why we don’t see it played at all. Jake is nice and has a great ability, but at PS4 he doesn’t cut it, and if i need a support ship ima get Kyle or one of the other real support ships like Dutch and Garven, or a U-Wing with some crew.

They have so many ships to explore Rebel support faction identity. But they also needed to pick the ship whose role it really should be to play as an interceptor and small missile strike craft. It should be duking it out with the interceptors and fangs out there, with less firepower and cheaper unless they pick missiles. 

And since it’s not a point or slot issue, the ship is just dead for the whole edition i guess. Such a pity really, to botch one of the iconic original ships again.

Edited by ForceM

10 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

The A-wing is just boring. They really should have something cooler. It doesn't even have the best maneuver choices, cuz no barrel roll normally. 

It should feel like a high-octane fueled rocket ride with adrenaline flowing out the pilot’s eardrums. I agree it totally doesn’t!

2 minutes ago, ForceM said:

It should feel like a high-octane fueled rocket ride with adrenaline flowing out the pilot’s eardrums. I agree it totally doesn’t!

They stopped the power creep, but there's some serious dial creep. There's really not that much difference between many ships. 

I love the build in semi-push the limit and barrel roll. Especially on the PS1 ships as that was never an option before.

I only ever used the ship as a disruptor for formations and blocker, and it does that job very well, even better in 2.0.

Imo, it finally has a reason to be played over the Z-95 as it's far better at blocking and flanking with the PS1 pilots.

For me that sounds like a job for your adrenaline junky ace pilot.

9 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

They stopped the power creep, but there's some serious dial creep. There's really not that much difference between many ships. 

I agree and am okay with stopping the power creep, but giving the A-Wing a decent  Initiative pilot with a good ability would not be power creep at all. Just fairness.

The dials of a lot if other ships have drastically improved, while the A-Wings just stayed the same with a little addition. That’s also true.

1 minute ago, SOTL said:

A-Wings are victims of the S-Foils.  A T-65 with closed s-foils is basically a better A-Wing.  Let them die 

Plus the X-Wing has two I5 and an I6 pilot. And it’s also the better support ship too.

the only thing remaining is the I1 blocker. But that’s just a shame for this ship.

Kinda difficult for me to say let them die. What’s your favorite ship? What if we let that die?

I found myself enjoying Jake more than I expected to, in some ways he reminded me of flying 1st Edition Guri as a maneuvable mid initiative baby-ace.

Being able to:

• single resposition and focus without stress
  • focus and double resposition with stress
  • focus, red boost to pass a focus action to someone else

...made him interesting and useful enough to fly for me to consider taking him in the future.

23 minutes ago, __underscore__ said:

I found myself enjoying Jake more than I expected to, in some ways he reminded me of flying 1st Edition Guri as a maneuvable mid initiative baby-ace.

Being able to:

• single resposition and focus without stress
  • focus and double resposition with stress
  • focus, red boost to pass a focus action to someone else

...made him interesting and useful enough to fly for me to consider taking him in the future.

You forgot:

• Focus, Double reposition with stress, and pass a focus action to a nearby friendly ship

I actually really like Jake in that his ability is basically the same as before, except now he has the option to pass it to a friendly ship if he wants. And now he clocks in at a mere 40 points! That's a very significant price decrease. 

Yes, I readily admit that I was hoping for a higher Initiative for Jake (I would have preferred Jake at I5 and Tycho- when he comes out- at I6, or even both of them at I5), but I've tried him and he's a solid pocket-ace. 

Also, why is nobody talking about how Arvel is actually playable now? :D 

1 hour ago, ForceM said:

the only thing remaining is the I1 blocker. But that’s just a shame for this ship.

Why is it a shame? The ship is made for this role. I love messing up my opponents movement and taking risks with this ship.

Let the X and B-wings do damage and close out, that's their role.

The Y-Wing has 4 limited pilots. The A and B-wing both came in the conversion kit with only 2 each. I think we will get a couple new pilots when the A and B get their own blister packs. And I’m betting Tycho or (Evaan or whatever name they use) will be (at least) Init 5. 

Edit: and I love slapping Homing Missiles on a Phoenix for only 33 points: go in for blocks and ping an ace for a guaranteed damage twice. 

Edited by J1mBob

2 hours ago, ForceM said:

The dials of a lot if other ships have drastically improved, while the A-Wings just stayed the same with a little addition. That’s also true.

That's because the A-wing had and still has one of the best dials in the game.  It didn't need improvement!  It still doesn't.  

I don't know why everyone gets so caught up on the Init race.  You don't need a high init to work.  It's just a crutch to correct the mistakes you make when planning.  There should be only a couple Init 6 for each faction and the A-wing shouldn't have anyone there.  Also, you don't need Init 5 to make it work. 

I use a Green Squadron with Clusters as a great flanker and formation disrupter.  I usually give him Daredevil to make him a right pain in the butt.  He can zip up and flank people to get shots they never expected.  The only downside to Daredevil is he can't TL and hard turn.  That's why I like Dutch in the list.  

A-wings are fantastic flankers.  Get them to a spot on the sides that will give them a good field of vision and if anyone wants to go for them, they put themselves in a bad position to go for you.   Even if you sacrifice an A-wing while the rest of your list kills/cripples the rest of their list, it's worth it.  It's a cheap ship that can usually last pretty well with just a Focus for self-defense (or a good enough dial to get out of the way).  

Example:  My opponent likes to fly a list with 3 Z-95's, Gavin Darklighter E-wing, and a HWK.  It's a nasty list that does more than you think it would as all those crits starts to add up.  If he flies a loose formation it can be a bit brutal if he gets you in the crosshairs.  My list of two X-wings, Dutch, and above Green Squadron A-wing would have a hard time if I flew right at him.  I set up so the A-wing was on the flank and the others looked like they would joust.  Instead, the A-wing 5 Straight and Boost for 2 rounds to get on their flank while one X and the Y went up the other flank.  X in the middle slow rolled.  The A-wing with Cluster Missile really disrupted his formation and strategy as he had to send the HWK to deal with it.  It allowed me to blast the Z-95's with the rest of my list and take away the strength of lots of cheap shots getting crits in.  I lost the A-wing due to horrible green dice (out of 6 green dice I only got one evade), but he did his job and broke up the enemy formation.

Maybe I'm being hopelessly optimistic (and that really would be a first), but I think these overreactive posts need to stop. We've barely had 2.0 for five minutes and already I've seen complaints that **** near everything is overpowered or underpowered, clamouring for major buffs or nerfs with barely any supporting evidence, based usually on a handful of anecdotes alone.
It is extremely premature to declare any ship 'DoA' or 'dead for the whole edition', especially given that a)new upgrades that previous ships can use will be coming all the time (look at the Gunner slot for example - currently fairly useless unless you have a turret), b)new pilots for ships will be coming with their individual expansions (so Tycho may well be returning, in the A-Wings' case), and c)points and slots can be adjusted if the need is determined to be great enough, to prevent any ship from being worthless forever once enough significant evidence to support that decision exists.
Until then, can we all stop asking for sweeping changes to ships based solely on limited personal experiences and knee-jerk reactions?

I love prockets marksman Jake, I love intimidation Arvel, and I love 30 point i1 blockers with double repositions and a fantastic dial.

Sure you can add someone who's more of an ace and I'd be happy for it and fly it all over the place. The pilot roster is a little thin and more options are needed to flesh out what should be (in my opinion) behind only the falcon and x-wings and maybe y-wings as a staple of the rebel fleet. But a-wings are great fun as it is! The only way you can go wrong is by trying to force them into roles they aren't especially suited for.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Well, considering the A-Wing is probably going to be the next Rebel ship to be re-released along with new pilots, is it really too much to ask to wait and see what FFG have planned for it?

This. From here on the expacs are going to be adding new pilots and upgrades to get you to buy them. Have patience people, nothing is in its final form yet. We won't really have second edition until 3-4 waves after CIS and Republic arrive.

Oh my God I forgot they don't get taxed for missiles anymore!!!

And missiles have multiple charges!!!!!!

And measly  3 point homing missile makes them legitimate threats if ignored!!!!!!

Wtf are we complaining about?

Edited by ficklegreendice