3 minutes ago, JBento said:

Rounds are bigger than turns. Everyone takes a TURN while you go ROUND the table, is how I memorised it.

i see, then maybe it works with the water stance wait action double turn ? :D 

21 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

i see, then maybe it works with the water stance wait action double turn ? :D 

Nope. You can't Wait a Movement action, and you can't Water stance things that require rolls (like Attacks). Unless your trigger doesn't proc, in which case you can smack stuff in the face, provided anyone is stupid enough to remain next to an Utaku Battle Maiden that just charged.

Edited by JBento

12 hours ago, JBento said:

Nope. You can't Wait a Movement action, and you can't Wait things that require rolls (like Attacks). Unless your trigger doesn't proc, in which case you can smack stuff in the face, provided anyone is stupid enough to remain next to an Utaku Battle Maiden that just charged.

Hey, can you point where it states that you cant wait actions that requires a roll? I Dont see it in the Wait action in  Skirmishes section and im afraid to miss something :)

thanks 

Edited by kaox

Im not sure how social intrigue works.

Let's say theres a debate implicating 5 courtiers but three main points of view. Do we battle on strife until everyone us Compromised or leaves except one or am I supposed to go for Momentum? How does these two ways interract with each other?

Most actions are named as „scheme action, support action“ and so on.

why are they marked like this?

can you take 1 scheme and 1 combat action?

How many actions per turn are legal? I thought it was 1 action + short movement(1range band?)

why are the actions tagged this way 

20 minutes ago, Seduka said:

Most actions are named as „scheme action, support action“ and so on.

why are they marked like this?

can you take 1 scheme and 1 combat action?

How many actions per turn are legal? I thought it was 1 action + short movement(1range band?)

why are the actions tagged this way 

As one example, when in Water Stance, you can take an extra Action that doesn't share a type with your first action.  So you could take an Attack action and a Scheme action, but not two Schemes.
Also, a lot of Techniques and abilities are only usable with certain types of actions.  Most Kata are used with Attack or Support actions, while many Shuji are used with Scheme actions.

16 hours ago, kaox said:

Hey, can you point where it states that you cant wait actions that requires a roll? I Dont see it in the Wait action in  Skirmishes section and im afraid to miss something :)

thanks 

Oh, bugger. Got my wires crossed. You can't WATER STANCE actions that require a roll, my bad. I'll edit my original post. Thanks for catching that.

I have a question about invocation resists.  As an example, Earthquake has a resist TN 3 Fitness (Air 1, Water 4).  This all makes sense on paper. TN 3 is moderately hard, Earth is good against Water but bad against Air.  What doesn't make sense to me is that if faced with defending against Earthquake or any Earth invocation, why as a player would I ever not choose to resist with an Air approach?  I get making narrative sense, but no amount of narrative sense would ever get me to choose a Water approach.  The only thing that makes sense as a GM, would be to say: Since this is a conflict, you can only resist in the stance you are currently using.  Am I on the right track here?  This makes picking invocation rings and stance swapping more of a tactical decision.   

Edited by Kyasanur

9 minutes ago, Kyasanur said:

I have a question about invocation resists.  As an example, Earthquake has a resist TN 3 Fitness (Air 1, Water 4).  This all makes sense on paper. TN 3 is moderately hard, Earth is good against Water but bad against Air.  What doesn't make sense to me is that if faced with defending against Earthquake or any Earth invocation, why as a player would I ever not choose to resist with an Air approach?  I get making narrative sense, but no amount of narrative sense would ever get me to choose a Water approach.  The only thing that makes sense as a GM, would be to say: Since this is a conflict, you can only resist in the stance you are currently using.  Am I on the right track here?  This makes picking invocation rings a tactical decision.   

You need to use the ring corresponding to the stance you're in for any roll. You can't use other rings for rolls, even if that ring would've been the only option for the roll.

EDIT: For completeness sake, the rule is in page 251, last paragraph of first column.

Edited by JBento

I am seriously thinking of making all resist rolls, not giving strife and not being able to spend opportunity. so basically only the successes would matter for resist rolls.

I feel otherwise it slows down the gameplay too much, especially when people can force resist roll on opponents almost every turns. and that to resist people take strife, and then spend opportunities... it gets really tedious/bloated.

Edited by Avatar111

At the end of the day you can modify your game to whatever house rules you like, but from what I have seen, it seems like you are looking to chance a significant portion of how the game and its systems work.

I'd recommend against that. There was a lot of testing done on these systems...

11 minutes ago, Vutall said:

I'd recommend against that. There was a lot of testing done on these systems...

Coiling Serpent Style says otherwise. That Kiho that lets you apply damaged to stuff MIGHT say otherwise as well, but I need to see it in play before I give a definite answer on that one. Duel is apparently borked, but I haven't delved into it - regardless, that the school called Duelist isn't the best, you know, duelist, is just bad. So is the fact that some schools have redundant entries on their tables. If I'm feeling generous, Wait+Water is just bad wording. Striking as Air is ridiculously weak, to the point I'll never buy it, ever. I'm still on the fence about the techniques that deal fatigue whether you hit or not, need to see play on those too.

If there was a lot of testing done, it wasn't GOOD testing.

EDIT: Also, those weapon tables. Bisento is hands-down better than any other polearm, except it's not: trident is, because CSS is a thing. I don't even know what a zanbato is supposed to be for, and why I wouldn't just nodachi instead.

Edited by JBento

30 minutes ago, Myrion said:

That doesn't seem to be borne out in actual play, where the resist checks do not slow the game down significantly.

Beware knee-herk reactions from reading and make sure that whatever you're trying to fix is an actual problem in real play.

I feel they really slow down the game when almost everybody can force resist from opponents at some point, almost every turn.

and giving strife + opportunities on top of that... you cannot say it doesnt slow down the game, you simply cant.

now, is it something that if you houserul it as i do it breaks the game ? i'm looking forward to know if it does. to me, i don't think it will right now.

14 minutes ago, JBento said:

Coiling Serpent Style says otherwise. That Kiho that lets you apply damaged to stuff MIGHT say otherwise as well, but I need to see it in play before I give a definite answer on that one. Duel is apparently borked, but I haven't delved into it - regardless, that the school called Duelist isn't the best, you know, duelist, is just bad. So is the fact that some schools have redundant entries on their tables. If I'm feeling generous, Wait+Water is just bad wording. Striking as Air is ridiculously weak, to the point I'll never buy it, ever. I'm still on the fence about the techniques that deal fatigue whether you hit or not, need to see play on those too.

If there was a lot of testing done, it wasn't GOOD testing.

EDIT: Also, those weapon tables. Bisento is hands-down better than any other polearm, except it's not: trident is, because CSS is a thing. I don't even know what a zanbato is supposed to be for, and why I wouldn't just nodachi instead.

Zanbato, 40koku. worst than an Ono. (its exactly the same thing, but cumbersome added on top of it).

I get it designers, its because a Zanbato is narratively very cool.

regarding trident, yeah, its too good compared to other options now.

I added 1 deadliness to both the Ji and Yari.

Edited by Avatar111

1 minute ago, Avatar111 said:

Zanbato, 40koku. worst than an Ono. (its exactly the same thing, but cumbersome added on top of it).

I get it designers, its because a Zanbato is narratively very cool.

Eeeeh, swords are samurai weapons and onos are axes and therefore for peasants. I can see it having SOME narrative influence.

I have seen you two (JBento and Avatar111) complain and say so many things are broken in the system when in actual gameplay it isn't at all. And, a lot of the things you are complaining about as well are things that seem (and I don't mean this offensively, but I don't know a better term for it) incredibly munchkin-esque. Of course if you purposely try to break things and go against rules intentions you can.  Sure, there are a few things that were missed here and there, but overall the 5th ed system is very solid and has few if any truly game-breaking things in it.

6 minutes ago, Vutall said:

I have seen you two (JBento and Avatar111) complain and say so many things are broken in the system when in actual gameplay it isn't at all. And, a lot of the things you are complaining about as well are things that seem (and I don't mean this offensively, but I don't know a better term for it) incredibly munchkin-esque. Of course if you purposely try to break things and go against rules intentions you can.  Sure, there are a few things that were missed here and there, but overall the 5th ed system is very solid and has few if any truly game-breaking things in it.

enjoy it then.

hopefully you don't have a player using coiling serpent kata and making you unable to attack if he gets 1opp (doesn't even need to hit you). 

and that. for ALL fights. sure... you can narratively find a way to avoid this for a fight here and there, but its gonna be a recurrent problem.

some people, like me and bento (i guess) are more into trying to have a better system that can handle a minor degree of munchkinism. we are not even looking as making it 100% balanced... but, the system as is just becomes abusable way too easily sometimes by not even trying. its got glaring issues.

if you and your group are fine with all this and like it then all the power to you. enjoy it as is! you don't have to feel our pain and fun of trying to make it better for US.

ps: if a player wants a Zenbato in your game, and he loves his Zenbato. then COOL. I know in my game the players will be like "wtf are those stats? just give me the axe or nodachi please".

Edited by Avatar111

Coiling serpent isn't really a problem. One, few people (If any) are going to be using snaring weapons (Gao being rare and non traditional, Jite being used by Magistrates so I could see these more often, and Trident which is used by fishermen and such, not generally as a weapon), and two, it has to check against readied weapons.

The weapons table is to offer some options, but generally speaking, your samurai are going to be using samurai weapons. The katana, wakizashi, naginata, tetsubo.  Your ashigaru will use spears mostly. Monks probably a bo. So many of the other weapons are just flavor ad shouldn't see many scenes.

If a player takes it and wants to use that, then awesome! I'm all for it. I get to figure out ways for my NPCs to get around that. The first being they carry two weapons. The second being they use unarmed. The third being they don't ready a weapon until they strike with it...etc etc etc

5 minutes ago, Vutall said:

Coiling serpent isn't really a problem. One, few people (If any) are going to be using snaring weapons (Gao being rare and non traditional, Jite being used by Magistrates so I could see these more often, and Trident which is used by fishermen and such, not generally as a weapon), and two, it has to check against readied weapons.

The weapons table is to offer some options, but generally speaking, your samurai are going to be using samurai weapons. The katana, wakizashi, naginata, tetsubo.  Your ashigaru will use spears mostly. Monks probably a bo. So many of the other weapons are just flavor ad shouldn't see many scenes.

If a player takes it and wants to use that, then awesome! I'm all for it. I get to figure out ways for my NPCs to get around that. The first being they carry two weapons. The second being they use unarmed. The third being they don't ready a weapon until they strike with it...etc etc etc

if it works for you. cool. it does break my game though.

the monk in my game is going to wear laquered armor and use a bisento. i can tell you that much. and all his unarmed attacks will be kicks so he can use 2handed grips. hes not "cool" enough to run around with a dress and a staff.

Edited by Avatar111

On paper or in practice? I honestly feel like the majority of your discussion topics and posts are theoretical and dont have a practical real world experience backing it up. When I played Warhammer we would often refer to this as "Rules-Hammering" and it certainly seemed like the sky was falling the majority of the time when doing that...but when we actually sat down at the table and played, it ended up being not at all like we theorized on paper/discussion.

5 minutes ago, Vutall said:

On paper or in practice? I honestly feel like the majority of your discussion topics and posts are theoretical and dont have a practical real world experience backing it up. When I played Warhammer we would often refer to this as "Rules-Hammering" and it certainly seemed like the sky was falling the majority of the time when doing that...but when we actually sat down at the table and played, it ended up being not at all like we theorized on paper/discussion.

i also don't want to hammer the rules too much. i play dnd5th, i play star wars, and i have no problem with these games. when a player really try to abuse the ruling we kind of laugh it off and tell him "no".

but L5R is a different story, the system is mechanical enough (a lot actually) that you kind of start to toy around with possibilities and quickly see that without even trying to "hammer a rule", you end up with something that is simply much of a stronger choice than the other options. i know, nothing will ever be 100% equal... its not the point. but huge gaps as it currently have... oof.

then again, maybe you and your buddies are fine with it, and the monk is fine with his robe and staff. and all is good. then sure. no problem.

ps: look at the fire kiho that makes you break objects. looking forward to your monk basically having a chance to explode your bbeg ancestral katana or armor every round.

Edited by Avatar111