Koing907

Thane Kyrell, I have never been more tempted to quit X-Wing.

21 hours ago, RampancyTW said:

Normally with a wounded ship you can still engage cautiously so that further risk is minimized for a round or two but it still contributes. 

But Thane doesn't care if you have focus and evade at range 3 through a rock and he has no mods.

He cares if he doesn't have arc, or if he blanks.

Dice also sometimes tend to not care about how many of them you throw, hence my name.

This is all pretty in line with the normal game, only exception being the SPECIFIC ion crit SPECIFICALLY on a small ship that is caught out without support that can butcher Thane while he tries to walk you off the table 

I really like Thane's design and believe hes quite underappreciated. I believe it's good for the health of the game to have these cheap aces that give some recourse against the high initiative, self-modified stuff that has already reinstated its popularity in second edition 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I got to play against this ship  in Saturday.  I have to say that I'm feeling ripped off for spending so much money on second . It's    Ridiculous!  People can defend it all they want but until it's nerfed I'm not spending a single sent more on this game! This is supposed to be fun.  I so wanted to rant but I've said enough. 

On 10/12/2018 at 12:08 PM, reqent said:

If you run medium or large based ships Thane is your initial priority target.  I would also reevaluate using reinforce if thane is around (except chiraneau).   Wedge's ability is useless against a vt-49. 

Also when I run large ships i treat shield upgrade as a mandatory mod. It's very cost effective on low agility ships.

I also try to run mini swarms with large base ships as opposed to 2 ship builds.  I'd rather run two cheap interceptors than a real expensive one.

People should be able to play whatever they want with the expectation of having a good time. This felt like someone took my wallet and shoved it.......... when I played against it. Not Fun!

30 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

I got to play against this ship  in Saturday.  I have to say that I'm feeling ripped off for spending so much money on second . It's    Ridiculous!  People can defend it all they want but until it's nerfed I'm not spending a single sent more on this game! This is supposed to be fun.  I so wanted to rant but I've said enough. 

Consider it a learning experience, then.  It's just a T-65 X-Wing pilot after all.

On 10/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, Koing907 said:

But I have learned to sleep on strong emotions and not make any decisions on them until cooling off.

But ******, this bugger is the worst NPE I have had in my 4 years of playing X-Wing. Paratanni, Miranda Doni, Pre-nerf Nym Trajectory Sim, don't even come close.

His ability has a very low cost (spend any not-blank result on a dice, triggers before or after modding dice (while attacking...) there is no defense, he gets to pick the flipped damage card, and in an edition with fuel leaks, the flipped crit can be a devastating chain.

I'd rather just concede the match and save myself the frustration. And I've never felt that way about X-Wing before.

I wonder how you will react to Quadjumpers shenenigans if Thane Kyrell made you fume.

Thane is clearly not broken at all, but it's like the first time a quad puts your ace on a rock and you lose - frustrating but you realize immediately that there's a tonne you could have done about it and next time adjust accordingly. 

Keep flying and now you know who you need/want to kill first next time :)

On 10/13/2018 at 2:19 AM, Koing907 said:

But ******, this bugger is the worst NPE I have had in my 4 years of playing X-Wing. Paratanni, Miranda Doni, Pre-nerf Nym Trajectory Sim, don't even come close.

I'd rather just concede the match and save myself the frustration. And I've never felt that way about X-Wing before.

Yeah, not seeing it. Played a 6 game tournament on the weekend, faced him 3 times (it had a just Wave 1 rule, good fun!)  and used him myself. I used the ability once, and it was used on me once. It's not like I wasn't trying to get him shots on damaged ships either.

Not a deal breaker at all.

5 hours ago, ozmodon said:

People should be able to play whatever they want with the expectation of having a good time. This felt like someone took my wallet and shoved it.......... when I played against it. Not Fun!

I thought your first post was being sarcastic... then this.

Image result for star wars unfair gif

5 hours ago, FriendofYoda said:

Thane is clearly not broken at all, but it's like the first time a quad puts your ace on a rock and you lose - frustrating but you realize immediately that there's a tonne you could have done about it and next time adjust accordingly. 

Keep flying and now you know who you need/want to kill first next time :)

Yup, first time I faced one I did a good job of dodging arcs, had a rock between me and the quad and he had no shot. Next turn he did a 2 hard around the rock to, just barely, get in range 1 in arc of Soontir.

Well onto the rock I went, move through the rock I did, and lose actions. Then his two Z’s, who would have otherwise had no shot and been facing Soontir with mods shooting them, well, they finished no token Baron Fel.

Guess what I haven’t done again. I learned from it.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, Koing907 said:

But I have learned to sleep on strong emotions and not make any decisions on them until cooling off.

His ability has a very low cost (spend any not-blank result on a dice, triggers before or after modding dice (while attacking...) there is no defense, he gets to pick the flipped damage card, and in an edition with fuel leaks, the flipped crit can be a devastating chain.

Yeah - he is the new Biggs - you just have to nuke him first or its a little too much - don't rage quit - just keep playing and having fun

Thane is a symptom of the real problem with this game: FFG needs to recruit new players. The conversion kits did what FFG needed them to do with the vets, making them spend money in order to keep playing the game with the new wave of players they’re hoping to reach. I’ve said it before, the only thing wrong with first edition is the same thing that’s wrong in any pay to play game after 5 years. There are too many products on the market for a new player to feel comfortable. So sales wane as the vets leave and design space narrows. 

But a conversion kit leaves a new player with the same problem. What good is a $40-50 kit to someone who just bought a starter? Their ships had better be up to the challenge. So guess which ships are gonna have the over top options? You guessed it - x-wings and TIEs. 

If that’s a problem for you, if that infuriates you, don’t get too down. Third edition is only five years or less away... if FFG keeps the license that long.

Edited by Boris_the_Dwarf

13 hours ago, freakyg3 said:

Yeah - he is the new Biggs - 

You mean the 1 card that held up an entire faction for all of 1.0?

25 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

I’m wondering if OP ever played against stage 4 cancer lists like Biggs/Kanan, FSR, or Stressra Maul and Fenn? Or earlier cancerous lists like torpedo jump masters, quad TLTs, or Palp Aces?

Cancer starts with Stage 1.  You should get that Thane looked at. . .

43 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

I’m wondering if OP ever played against stage 4 cancer lists like Biggs/Kanan, FSR, or Stressra Maul and Fenn? Or earlier cancerous lists like torpedo jump masters, quad TLTs, or Palp Aces?

I'm no fan of Thane, but he's no where near as toxic as FSR, Biggs/Kanan, or MaulzraGhost (aka Cancer).

Seriously?! I run Thane in my trip-X Tournament list. I'm lucky if I trigger his ability twice a game and if it's useful once a game - sure, I've done the old direct hit trick to kills ships a few times, but I usually find they don't have any damage on them or he'd kill them any way.

Way worse out there!

Thane isn't the problem, I think in any list with him it's prioritizing targets. He's usually paired with Luke and so it becomes a very formiable list. They're are a lot worse pilots, and combos available.

44 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Thane isn't the problem, I think in any list with him it's prioritizing targets. He's usually paired with Luke and so it becomes a very formiable list. They're are a lot worse pilots, and combos available.

And Wedge, and Wedge is pretty good at pushing damage through to targets initially, then Thane shoots last stirring the pot. It's just synergy. His ability would suck rocks compared to a list with him and some PS3 yard trash.

20 minutes ago, JasonCole said:

And Wedge, and Wedge is pretty good at pushing damage through to targets initially, then Thane shoots last stirring the pot. It's just synergy. His ability would suck rocks compared to a list with him and some PS3 yard trash.

I agree. I run Luke, Wedge and Thane together very effectively, but more often than not he's also the first ship off the table for me.  But he isn't the issue, and if run in the right list can be a pest. NPE though not by a long shot

2 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

For the record, 

Biggs/Kanan: played against.

FSR: played it, played against it.

Stressra Maul/Fenn: played it, played against it.

Torpedo jumps: Nope. never played it or against it, actually, I think I did in a Regional, but the player never fired torps, and kited with the whole squad.

Quad TLT's: played against it.

Palp aces: played it, played against it.

Also-

Dengaroo: played it, played against it. Actually played Dengaroo versus Dengaroo when it was a thing. :)

Parattani: played it, played against it.

Edited by Koing907

4 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

For the record, 

Torpedo jumps: Nope. never played it or against it.

Turn 1 Alpha Strike annihilation. Game, set, match... also probably a reason they're so bad now. Deadeye, R4, Proton/Plasma Torps in your face.

Edited by Cgriffith

On 10/13/2018 at 2:43 PM, YourHucklebrry said:

It is too bad that he's another nail in the coffin holding all the big ships atm. Between stuff like him, bullseye arc abilities and a lack of mobility on most big ships, there's no real reason to bust most of them out until the points shift.

Ok, probably stomping into a hornet's nest here. But I actually enjoy that we see lots and lots of dogfighting snub fighters. If FFG ever adjusts big ship points down, hopefully they do it really, really carefully. Otherwise we have the 1st ed c r a p all over again, everywhere freakin fat stupid FREIGHTERS outflying, outspeeding, and especially outgunning dedicated high end MILITARY FIGHTERS.

1 hour ago, Koing907 said:

For the record, 

Biggs/Kanan: played against.

FSR: played it, played against it.

Stressra Maul/Fenn: played it, played against it.

Torpedo jumps: Nope. never played it or against it, actually, I think I did in a Regional, but the player never fired torps, and kited with the whole squad.

Quad TLT's: played against it.

Palp aces: played it, played against it.

Also-

Dengaroo: played it, played against it. Actually played Dengaroo versus Dengaroo when it was a thing. :)

Parattani: played it, played against it.

And in your opinion the most NPE you’ve ever had playing the game is an X wing that can flip a crit?