Koing907

Thane Kyrell, I have never been more tempted to quit X-Wing.

His ability is strong but it's situational and when it does go off it's still random which crits are available for him to choose from, it's rare for him to get to choose between more than 2 cards. There's about a 50% chance that his effect results in an extra damage, and otherwise he's just doing something slightly annoying to a ship that was already on death's door anyway. He's also locked into using lock as his action instead of focus to maximize his effectiveness, which means he's often modless on defense. 

I think this is a gross abuse of the term NPE. Just because an opponent has an ability that does something bad to you doesn't make it a detriment to the game as a whole. This is not even close to Nym putting a face up damage on each of your ships from outside of range 6 with Genius+Trajectory. 

Edited by Tvboy

9 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Lol, you can't blame Thane for the Decimator's problems. 

I'd challenge you to name anything the Deci is currently good against. 

Again, you're not thinking about how Thane's ability actually works here. The deci has no way of denying Thane a focus token short of a bump, which would mean they're not shooting at each other anyway. So against a zero agility ship where your rolls literally cannot be countered except by a reinforce token, why would Thane not simply focus and push as much damage as possible through every single turn?

The idea of the Hull Breach or Fuel Leak chain is much worse than the reality of what Thane would actually be doing in terms of damage turn by turn in the average game. 

Say that after taking a crit chain. One damage is nothing compared to being able to look at your target's face down damage cards and flip one faceup. The more hull it has, the more powerful the ability becomes.

7 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Say that after taking a crit chain. One damage is nothing compared to being able to look at your target's face down damage cards and flip one faceup. The more hull it has, the more powerful the ability becomes.

That's still not solely Thane's fault, though. The Decimator can have this happen from anything shooting at it because of it's lack of defensive ability. Crits in general have really hurt high hull/low agility ships. I expect we might see these ships have a cost decrease whenever that comes around.

Edited by CaptainIxidor

27 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

? That doesn't address the weakness of the ship. It just makes it cheaper.

We cant really fix the deci at this point, so we just ouggta make it cheaper

It's no longer a **** falcon ripoff, the 2nd Ed deci flies like a plodding tank. This is FINE, it makes the ship distinct

It just now has to be accurately costed to fit that role. The fact that it has zero repositioning REALLY should've plunged its cost down relative to all other turrets 

Edited by ficklegreendice

If you run medium or large based ships Thane is your initial priority target.  I would also reevaluate using reinforce if thane is around (except chiraneau).   Wedge's ability is useless against a vt-49. 

Also when I run large ships i treat shield upgrade as a mandatory mod. It's very cost effective on low agility ships.

I also try to run mini swarms with large base ships as opposed to 2 ship builds.  I'd rather run two cheap interceptors than a real expensive one.

Edited by reqent

5 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Guac is right. The Deci currently sucks. Thane makes it exponentially worse, but it's still terrible against everything else too.

There are a lot of apples and oranges being tossed around in here.

Thane is exceptional against a *very high hull* ship, such as Ghost or Deci. He's also a great early game threat against high hull/low shield ratio ships, such as tie fighters and tie bombers. He's a high threat against unshielded high evade aces once they take a damage from *anything*, such as tie interceptors or fang fighters, because he doesn't even have to have a chance to hit to make an existing damage or two worse.

He is of very low threat level to low hull/shield ratio ships, such as xwings, bwings, etc. Once you've peeled through their shields, it's mid-late game, and they may still not have any damage cards.

So as a primarily imperial player, yeah, I SUPER don't like seeing Thane across the table, especially when paired with Wedge. But I can also understand other people's views when they don't sweat him. I think he's somewhat situational, but certainly not a hard counter.

4 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

This is a joke right ? Before we see many complain about not seeing any X-Wing on the table and now we complain that X-Wing is too powerful when they are back on the table ? :huh:

*facepalm*

Nobody's talking about the X-Wing.

Edited by Koing907

4 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

This is a joke right ? Before we see many complain about not seeing any X-Wing on the table and now we complain that X-Wing is too powerful when they are back on the table ? :huh:

"one xwing" not xwings.

I have 0 issues with the others. Wedge/Luke are mean, but theyre fairly priced imo.

I imagine people would be complaining about Vader in the same sense if the base TIE Adv was actually good, instead of being deliberately a bit lack luster because Vader is so mean despite the handicap.

12 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

*facepalm*

Nobody's talking about the X-Wing.

So why complain about Thane ? Why ragequit for just one xwing pilot ? He make a full Xwing squadron good again ! Just find a good counter ! ;)

11 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

"one xwing" not xwings.

I have 0 issues with the others. Wedge/Luke are mean, but theyre fairly priced imo.

I imagine people would be complaining about Vader in the same sense if the base TIE Adv was actually good, instead of being deliberately a bit lack luster because Vader is so mean despite the handicap.

I prefer far more Marek than Vader but that just my point of view and yes tie X1 is good ! Despite what people said ! ;)

Edited by Arkanta974

8 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

So why complain about Thane ? Why ragequit for just one xwing pilot ? He make a full Xwing squadron good again ! Just find a good counter ! ;)

I prefer far more Marek than Vader but that just my point of view and yes tie X1 is good ! Despite what people said ! ;)

TIE/x1 is over-costed except for Vader. Thane is costed appropriately, I'd say but him, Wedge, and Luke are scary together. I don't think they need to change price, I think other things need reduction BUT I expect FFG to do increases instead.

3 hours ago, Koing907 said:

But I have learned to sleep on strong emotions and not make any decisions on them until cooling off.

But ******, this bugger is the worst NPE I have had in my 4 years of playing X-Wing. Paratanni, Miranda Doni, Pre-nerf Nym Trajectory Sim, don't even come close.

His ability has a very low cost (spend any not-blank result on a dice, triggers before or after modding dice (while attacking...) there is no defense, he gets to pick the flipped damage card, and in an edition with fuel leaks, the flipped crit can be a devastating chain.

I'd rather just concede the match and save myself the frustration. And I've never felt that way about X-Wing before.

For Thane to even get use out of his ability, you need to have hull damage, which means most ships' shields have to be taken away first in some way.

So with that being the case, and you know he's coming at you because squads are not secret -- you know exactly what your opponent has at the start of every game -- if he's so annoying to you then the obvious answer is to make him your priority target.  Right?  And he's in an X-Wing for God's sake!  These ships aren't that difficult to bring down.

I'm sorry, but the whining and over-exaggerating on these boards really needs to stop.  Annoyance does not equate to NPE.  Thane isn't even in the same ballpark as 1.0 garbage like Paratanni, Miranda, etc.  Why?  Because those things you couldn't really deal with, but with him you can -- either by arc dodging or by taking him out ASAP.

The bottom line is the game is in a great place right now.  Sure there are some powerful upgrades and abilities, but there always will be.  And nothing really seems to be over-dominating at this point, either.  I mean, is Thane winning all over the place?  The big fat answer is NO.

I just think these kinds of posts should only be made when something is truly overpowered and deserves some kind of nerf -- and I don't believe Thane is even close to that yet.

Edited by Darth Landy

26 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

So the real issue here is that OP likes a ship that happens to be weak against Thane's ability. 

Nope. Others brought up the Deci as an extreme example. But Thane is generally powerful against  ships that have hull over shields and/or Agi. 

23 minutes ago, JasonCole said:

Thane gets to look at all the damage cards before choosing one. It's not remotely random. 

To be fair, the randomness is in what cards got assigned to the target.

To back that up, getting to look and choose is a pretty big deal. It gives that player the knowledge of the target's entire damage stack. 

Edited by Koing907

2 hours ago, Cloaker said:

Thane is fine, and well costed. Anyone letting him get past the beta phase of attacks deserves all the pain they get later. Assessing opposing ship threats relative to game phase is what separates the good players from the average. Nothing else to see here. Standard example of poor target prioritization. 

With the way my dice roll, I'm happy to take out one ship in an entire game, much less before a particular game phase.