Jump to content
Koing907

Thane Kyrell, I have never been more tempted to quit X-Wing.

Recommended Posts

But I have learned to sleep on strong emotions and not make any decisions on them until cooling off.

But ******, this bugger is the worst NPE I have had in my 4 years of playing X-Wing. Paratanni, Miranda Doni, Pre-nerf Nym Trajectory Sim, don't even come close.

His ability has a very low cost (spend any not-blank result on a dice, triggers before or after modding dice (while attacking...) there is no defense, he gets to pick the flipped damage card, and in an edition with fuel leaks, the flipped crit can be a devastating chain.

I'd rather just concede the match and save myself the frustration. And I've never felt that way about X-Wing before.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

But I have learned to sleep on strong emotions and not make any decisions on them until cooling off.

But ******, this bugger is the worst NPE I have had in my 4 years of playing X-Wing. Paratanni, Miranda Doni, Pre-nerf Nym Trajectory Sim, don't even come close.

His ability has a very low cost (spend any not-blank result on a dice, triggers before or after modding dice (while attacking...) there is no defense, he gets to pick the flipped damage card, and in an edition with fuel leaks, the flipped crit can be a devastating chain.

I'd rather just concede the match and save myself the frustration. And I've never felt that way about X-Wing before.

 

He's pretty rough. An ability like that should be more of a "cancel all dice results, flip one damage card face up".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Lol

Just lol

You have to be smoking some PREMIUM **** to think a little, barely modified, arc locked Xwing that requires a target to already have been damaged...well, mindlink or traj sim it is not.

seriously, just shooting the guy will solve all your problems. Six health, two agility, no outstanding modifiers of his own. 

The fact that he can contribute in the mid/late game makes him useful, not op 

I think it's a little worse if there's a direct hit that's face down, given how DH works now. It's a great way to push damage no matter how many dice you roll. But you're right in that the best defense is to shoot him real good before you lose all your shields, if you had any to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

his ability is pretty stupid.

Its either sorta pointless because you only have 2-3 health anyway, or completely cripples your 6+ hp ship and theres nothing you can do about it if you didnt manage to delete his face in the initial attack.

Hes the reason i stopped even trying to make the deci work. Every time the deci lists i try lose, its because of that idiot nothing else. He just perma-flips extra damage or gain stress so i cant rotate/reinforce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ficklegreendice is right (I mean, FGD is usually right, but especially here). 

Thane’s ability is a high variance ability. There are those cases where he can keep flipping up a nasty crit but that’s hardly a guarantee. 

I mean, heck. How can you possibly say it’s a worse NPE than 1.0 Kylo? Old blinded pilot through shields is way worse than flipping up a semi-random crit when you’re already damaged. 

Edited by WAC47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WAC47 said:

@ficklegreendice is right (I mean, FGD is usually right, but especially here). 

Thane’s ability is a high variance ability. There are those cases where he can keep flipping up a nasty crit but that’s hardly a guarantee. 

It’s not high variance at all, you look at and pick one card. It is situational in that they need damaged. It’s not very useful on low hp ships and massively useful against high hp ships. Your best defense shouldn’t be kill him first. It really is a poorly designed special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LordFajubi said:

It’s not high variance at all, you look at and pick one card. It is situational in that they need damaged. It’s not very useful on low hp ships and massively useful against high hp ships. Your best defense shouldn’t be kill him first. It really is a poorly designed special.

Yeah, but you need to have dealt the card to pick it. Yes, against high hull ships that can be brutal, but only after multiple damage cards have already been dealt. You need 4 on average to have a double damage crit in there or 6-7 if you need a direct hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While i do agree that he can be a pain, he isn't unbeatable. X-wings can still die under enough fire or a lot of dice chucked at them and they are not like an interceptor. Against low hull ships his ability rarely comes into play. 

Also from using thane there is a gamble to using him. Do i use his ability to lose a die to flip over a card that might or might not help me? Or just push for damage.

Edited by KiraYamatoSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WAC47 said:

Yeah, but you need to have dealt the card to pick it. Yes, against high hull ships that can be brutal, but only after multiple damage cards have already been dealt. You need 4 on average to have a double damage crit in there or 6-7 if you need a direct hit. 

True but direct hit isn’t the only crit that can cripple you if they know it’s there. Disarm tokens are the only defense to this and I seriously doubt they give us the ability to force a disarm. I’d have 0 problem with his ability if he had to actually hit. Then you cancel 1 result to flip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

While i do agree that he can be a pain, he isn't unbeatable. X-wings can still die under enough fire or a lot of dice chucked at them and they are not like an interceptor. Against low hull ships his ability rarely comes into play. 

Also from using thane there is a gamble to uaing him. Do i use his ability to lose a die to flip over a card that might or might not help me? Oe just push for damage.

Did I miss a ruling on Thane? Why are some acting like it’s random? It says you look at them and pick, to me that reads you get to see which one you’re flipping beforehand. Is that incorrect? 

Edited by LordFajubi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

more referring to whether or not the cards that you look at are helpful to begin with. Thane does look at the cards, but of course he has no control over whats there to begin with. All the other expose are random (and, might i add, WAY harder to pull off)

Which unlike in 1.0 i RARELY get a crit where i go "Yeah, i dont care" - only time that happens to me now is when i get extra damage on a crit, or hits = crits when its my last hull anyway.

The amount of times in 1.0 i got "Cannot be assigned a straight" when a straight was the WORST THING I COULD HAVE DONE is mindboggling lol

Edited by Vineheart01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are plenty of ships in 2nd ed that you'd want to concentrate fire and kill first, Thane is hardly the only one

You never want to leave a tough late-game ship like a defender (almost literally invincible 1v1) or Luke or Palob up if you can help it, but even someone like Adv. Torps Rhymer or outmanuever Sabacc you alive if ignored

Thane is basically like adv torp Rhy,er or outmanuever Sabacc, they're not late game threats in the same vein as Guri but they're cheap and not something you can't just ignore

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

But I have learned to sleep on strong emotions and not make any decisions on them until cooling off.

But ******, this bugger is the worst NPE I have had in my 4 years of playing X-Wing. Paratanni, Miranda Doni, Pre-nerf Nym Trajectory Sim, don't even come close.

His ability has a very low cost (spend any not-blank result on a dice, triggers before or after modding dice (while attacking...) there is no defense, he gets to pick the flipped damage card, and in an edition with fuel leaks, the flipped crit can be a devastating chain.

I'd rather just concede the match and save myself the frustration. And I've never felt that way about X-Wing before.

 

A list with him, Wedge, and Supernatural Luke, all with R2 astro is like a list with 3 Biggs, none of which have to stay near eachother, and can all move and shoot at high initiatives, and regen. They're all pilots that would normally be "priority one" targets, so its hilarious to load up a list with them. None of them can live to late game, but 1 or 2 of them will and that's why they're all so powerful. Three X-wing aces is such a real list. Thane is good, but he still is the third best X-Wing pilot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

A list with him, Wedge, and Supernatural Luke, all with R2 astro is like a list with 3 Biggs, none of which have to stay near eachother, and can all move and shoot at high initiatives, and regen. They're all pilots that would normally be "priority one" targets, so its hilarious to load up a list with them. None of them can live to late game, but 1 or 2 of them will and that's why they're all so powerful. Three X-wing aces is such a real list. Thane is good, but he still is the third best X-Wing pilot.

The meta at my local pub is shaping up to be 3-4 X-Wings, with Wedge, Thane and (whatever else they're tinkering with) Wedge and Thane are the core of the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

A list with him, Wedge, and Supernatural Luke, all with R2 astro is like a list with 3 Biggs, none of which have to stay near eachother, and can all move and shoot at high initiatives, and regen. They're all pilots that would normally be "priority one" targets, so its hilarious to load up a list with them. None of them can live to late game, but 1 or 2 of them will and that's why they're all so powerful. Three X-wing aces is such a real list. Thane is good, but he still is the third best X-Wing pilot.

Third best xwing pilot in a squad of 3 xwings is a good squad. I flew against him, wedge, and superluke last night, and it was a brutal slugfest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

The meta at my local pub is shaping up to be 3-4 X-Wings, with Wedge, Thane and (whatever else they're tinkering with) Wedge and Thane are the core of the list.

Yeah, I've been running Trick Shot Thane and Trick Shot Wedge with Unlimited Regen Corran Horn lately. It's brutal, as obstructed shots are just more chances to roll paint.

I think the worst part about his ability is that it works on Focus results, as it makes it irrelevant whether he's blocked or stressed. You don't even need to have a good roll for him. If he rolls two blanks and a focus, then it's an easy choice to just cancel the one focus and expose something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

True but direct hit isn’t the only crit that can cripple you if they know it’s there. Disarm tokens are the only defense to this and I seriously doubt they give us the ability to force a disarm. I’d have 0 problem with his ability if he had to actually hit. Then you cancel 1 result to flip.

I don't see anyone complaing about Zertik Strom. Granted his is random as he does not say you can look at the opponent's damage cards, but he just needs to spend a lock, don't even need to shoot the enemy. Just run around locking and exposing cards. If he is not OP I don't think Thane is

Edited by Muelmuel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats the big one that bugs me.

Its the only expose that works BEFORE the attack and you can spend a focus. He should be spending a crit (Marksmanship ftw, Sayn loves it for sure) to get his ability imo. Actually suffer a loss in damage to guarantee flip a nasty card.

After all, all you gotta do is remember what crits already got flipped. If he has 2 damage, but you know it was double damage that did it, bam doubledamage again 100% of the time.

Ive never seen thane completely blank out, theres always atleast a focus to get his ability off. Because for some reason the only action-less expose can do that.

edit: Zertik isnt OP because of 2 factors: 1) low PS = GL getting a lock and 2) his ship wants to KEEP the lock, so hes doing jack diddly squat if he uses his ability as now hes guaranteed to need to relock and thus cant roll or focus.
Not even Brath is op because he has to either burn his action for the evade or move 3+ speed and not bump ON TOP of actually has to hit you. Thane doesnt have to hit you.

Edited by Vineheart01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

The meta at my local pub is shaping up to be 3-4 X-Wings, with Wedge, Thane and (whatever else they're tinkering with) Wedge and Thane are the core of the list.

Ah, remember when people used to cry:

BUT THE GAME IS CALLED X-WING!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

It’s not high variance at all, you look at and pick one card. It is situational in that they need damaged. It’s not very useful on low hp ships and massively useful against high hp ships. Your best defense shouldn’t be kill him first. It really is a poorly designed special.

How do you recognise that it's useless against low HP ships and not understand why it's a high variance ability?

It's not variance in terms of dice variance, it's variance in terms of result. I.e depending on the list you face you can bring Thane and not get a chance to trigger his ability once, or you can keep stacking it on a high HP ship. 

His ability can only very rarely actually do damage, and you need to do damage to win. It requires you to spend a paint result, so it's only worth taking if you don't have a focus token because if you have a focus, it's better to do damage then and there than to gamble them having a direct hit, or on the chain of events required if its a hull breach or fuel leak. 

Thane is a fat ship killer. That's his job. There's nothing wrong with a pilot ability that specialises you into a role. If you don't want Thane to be a PITA, then don't feed him fat ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...