Sign in to follow this  
sidescroller

NPC abilities--templates techniques and school abilities?

I've got a couple questions about NPC abilities that I don't see covered by RAW. Does anyone know RAW answers, or can anyone recommend sensible solutions?

1. NPC templates add techniques. I assume these techniques can be from the techniques section? If so, what technique ranks should be used? (my guess would be to use the highest conflict rank as a substitute for school rank when adding techniques to NPCs)

2. Is it appropriate to add school techniques to NPC templates, so that the NPCs feel/play like they're from the appropriate clan/family/school?

Sensible solutions...

Knowing that the techniques for the NPC's are intentional simplifications, sure you can add more for flavor, but also remember that it ups the threat level. 

Especially the Hida Defender - nerfing criticals is a HUGE bonus.

First, know that the NPC section as well as a good chunk of stuff slated for review near the end of the beta never got the love it should have. Earlier sections ran over schedule leaving the rest not getting as through of a review as it really needed.

14 hours ago, sidescroller said:

1. NPC templates add techniques. I assume these techniques can be from the techniques section? If so, what technique ranks should be used? (my guess would be to use the highest conflict rank as a substitute for school rank when adding techniques to NPCs)

In the beta it stated “If an effect calls for an NPC’s school rank, treat its higher conflict rank as its school rank, to a maximum of 6.”

This may need some adjusting as you may not want a CR6 character to have a school rank of six for mechanical or story reasons. Likewise you may want the CR3 character to have a school rank of 6, like the old sensei who may not be much of a challenge but has mastered the ways of their school. 

14 hours ago, sidescroller said:

2. Is it appropriate to add school techniques to NPC templates, so that the NPCs feel/play like they're from the appropriate clan/family/school?

Do what fits the story, but be aware some mechanics may make the character stronger than you intended. I would use stock NPCs until I had a feel of what the Players and PCs can handle.

4 hours ago, llamaman88 said:

The hero we need!

So far, the list is short, and amounts to, "What's the template have?" Most of the NPC's in the BG and the DLC adventure don't even get a template reference. (only 2 of the fellow contestants do, and they both use the thug one... Even Hitoshi, the Grand MacGuffin hisself, doesn't even get a template.)

I've not even gotten to the adventure in the corebook.