Tweedledope

Building A Mech Suit

I've been rewatching The Clone Wars lately and I keep forgetting about how awesome Seripas is as both a character in the series and a potential build in SWRPG. 

How do we accomplish that? His armor is definitely more than just a suit of armor and more like a mech suit designed for a Sil 0 character (arguably, he's even smaller). Then I had the idea to build this not as armor, but as a walker. Using the starship creation rules from Fully Operational we can build a very effective Walker.

Now, Seripas was 100% reliant on his armor which leads me to believe that he was far less a bounty hunter specialization than he was a mechanic or pilot. Specifically, I think he would be best suited as a Ace: Driver. This would give you two ranks of Pilot (Planetary), Gunnery, and Mechanics at character creation and let you start building your "armor."

Taking talents like Tricky Target and reducing the silhouette with advantages at creation from 3 to 2 means that, despite your large size, others target you as a Sil 1 target which makes sense for this "personal scale" vehicle. The Full Throttle line lets you get some insane bursts of speed to catch up to people fleeing from your giant mech suit. Given that it's a vehicle, damaging it requires 10-1 damage to defeat its Hull 

Questions though: adding starship weaponry would be ridiculously OP and game breaking but are there any rules for adding personal scale weapons (such as a buzzsaw and heavy repeating blaster) onto "starships?"

Hopefully I'm not overthinking this or missing some glaring error here.

6 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

Operator might be better just to give him a bounty hunter feel, but yeah.

Considered Operator but so many of the talents are meant for disabling other ships or penalizing them. Since this is a "personal" suit I don't think it should be attacking too many starships...

2 hours ago, Tweedledope said:

Hopefully I'm not overthinking this or missing some glaring error here.

Yes, but that's ok.

I've been rewatching The Clone Wars lately and I keep forgetting about how awesome Seripas is as both a character in the series and a potential build in SWRPG. 

How do we accomplish that? His armor is definitely more than just a suit of armor and more like a mech suit designed for a Sil 0 character (arguably, he's even smaller).

That's just how he interfaces with the armor, it doesn't have to statistically change the armor itself.  It's flavor text, the armor still works like everyone else, he just needs an... adaptor... It's no different than saying that A Selonian can still wear armor, she just gets armor with a tail slot.

Take a small, lower brawn character/species, put it in a suit of powered armor.

So like say we have a little Polis Massan. Not really a good match for combat, but suitable for this example.

He spend 80XP at start to get his Brawn to 2 and Agility to 3. Still "meh" for a combat trooper, but pretty impressive for a Polis...

Now he needs armor, so we take something like the PX-11 "Battlement" power armor. The little guy now has Soak 5, Defenses 1, Brawn 3 for Brawn Skill checks, and + 1 rank in Athletics. 

Alternatively you can make it a custom build.

Crafting Augmentative Armor would give you a solid baseplate. Getting the results needed for both "Sealable" and "Extra Soak" actually isn't that improbable, and will probably leave enough for other "tough guy" upgrades like defenses or bonuses to Coercion. Augmentative Armor has a whopping 6 HP, you slap on a Strength Enhancement system for +1 Brawn, and can even upgrade it further with several mods and other Attachments. At that Point you can see a little guy in a big suit of Soak +3 Defense 2, Brawn +1 awesomesauce.

Now, Seripas was 100% reliant on his armor which leads me to believe that he was far less a bounty hunter specialization than he was a mechanic or pilot. Specifically, I think he would be best suited as a Ace: Driver. This would give you two ranks of Pilot (Planetary), Gunnery, and Mechanics at character creation and let you start building your "armor."

IIRC one of the whole points of his character was that his reliance was just how he saw himself. With a Spec that relies on higher brawn and soak he would naturally be at a disadvantage, and not efficient outside of his armor, but he still had the skills and talents underneath it all.

So you could take a guy like that and apply Marauder or Heavy or something and be  in the right place thematically.

But... if you insisted on him literally "driving" his armor... it's possible but will cause a number of rules issues. Big one for me is: how do you handle movement? Vehicles move at Speed 1 allowing them to move anywhere on the personal scale in 1 maneuver...

Questions though: adding starship weaponry would be ridiculously OP and game breaking but are there any rules for adding personal scale weapons (such as a buzzsaw and heavy repeating blaster) onto "starships?"

The existing rules for mounting weapons on vehicles aren't limited to table 7-17, the book says to specifically. So there's nothing preventing you from mounting a light repeating blaster on your landspeeder if you wish.

Then I had the idea to build this not as armor, but as a walker

Look, if you really want to go there...

Starfighter+All Terrain Legs+CZ-88 Heavy Loader Arms.

Your T-65 is now a VF-65 suitable for a Macross campaign. 

1 hour ago, Ghostofman said:

But... if you insisted on him literally "driving" his armor... it's possible but will cause a number of rules issues. Big one for me is: how do you handle movement? Vehicles move at Speed 1 allowing them to move anywhere on the personal scale in 1 maneuver...

Yeah, that coupled with the hull trauma vs. wound threshold would incur ALL the GM wrath. You're right, I'll stick to creating some bad *** armor. 

I agree with what you're thinking.   Don't create it as armour, but instead as a vehicle? 

Go a Sil 1 AT-walker in a humanoid shape., only able to be piloted by a Sil 0 character.   

If you were in my group, I would just let you come up with something, and then tweak accordingly.  Don't over complicate it with the Vehicle building rules, especially not  Starship building as it is far from that. 

Another option if you're dealing with this at personal scale would be to create it as a droid npc that is "piloted" by the PC.

Then cybernetics and armor hard points become the way you add weapons/abilities and it can carry personal size weapons as desired.

You could even have the droid have low Will and Int stats that are its auto-pilot functions, but normally it simply does what the pilot character wills.

Droid crafting rules are in Special Modifications by the way.

Edited by FinarinPanjoro

Have you thought about crafting a low silhouette walker with a power armor interface socket?

Basically, build yourself some bad *** augmentative armor, and have a light armored walker meant to be piloted by a person in your model of power armor, walks with the movement of your legs, etc. Now you have a larger augmentative "suit of armor" with better speed and armor and a few more options. Want to use attached to armor weapons instead of ship weapons so it isn't too game breaking? Craft your walker with weapon ports for your armor weapons, and use the HP for the walker to add something augmentative to the "suit" rather than ship weapons.