Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
markcsoul

Who else hasn't played 2.0 yet??

Recommended Posts

Sadly I have yet to play any 2.0 games yet.  I haven't been to my LGS in probably over a month thanks to things that keep coming up on the night they do X-Wing.  I could go on vassal, but I really want my first few 2.0 games to be "live action" so to speak.

I haven't even purchased anything from 2.0 yet, if you exclude the tie reaper and saw's renegades.  Though I do know what list I want to run initially in 2.0.

Anyone else who hasn't played 2.0 yet?  I hope I'm not the only one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last game was at the NOVA open. I have all the 2.0 stuff still in their unopened boxes. I'm a teacher and school started that week, and have been super busy. I'm itching to get organized and play, hopefully I can find some time this or next weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hadn't had a chance to get conversion kits yet. given how little i played 1.0 i'm not terribly worried about that though. if anything it will be nice to learn about it from others first, so i can hopefully avoid some of the learning curve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until tonight, I was with you.  Then I played a game.  

It was every bit as bad as I expected.

I learned, among other things, that Ion Cannon Turrets are rubbish.  They barely put out one damage per turn, even against 1-evade ships.  I didn't get a single ionization.  And the new turret mechanic simply sucks.  I learned that Y-Wings are even easier to kill than ever.  And I learned that there are builds, including Scum Lando/Shadowcaster, that can reliably put out 5-6 dice attacks, use multiple mods to generate 4+ hits with multiple crits, AND pass out stress to make it impossible to do anything about it.  This is directly contrary to the FFG party line about how broken combos were going to be a thing of the past, token stacking and multiple dice mods were out, and blah blah blah.  The fact that such builds are possible means that they inevitably will find their way into the meta, and indeed BECOME the meta.

But congratulations, FFG.  You got me to buy your new stuff.  Once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

Until tonight, I was with you.  Then I played a game.  

It was every bit as bad as I expected.

I learned, among other things, that Ion Cannon Turrets are rubbish.  They barely put out one damage per turn, even against 1-evade ships.  I didn't get a single ionization.  And the new turret mechanic simply sucks.  I learned that Y-Wings are even easier to kill than ever.  And I learned that there are builds, including Scum Lando/Shadowcaster, that can reliably put out 5-6 dice attacks, use multiple mods to generate 4+ hits with multiple crits, AND pass out stress to make it impossible to do anything about it.  This is directly contrary to the FFG party line about how broken combos were going to be a thing of the past, token stacking and multiple dice mods were out, and blah blah blah.  The fact that such builds are possible means that they inevitably will find their way into the meta, and indeed BECOME the meta.

But congratulations, FFG.  You got me to buy your new stuff.  Once.

Lando/Shadowcaster isn't even one of the best lists atm. While there are certainly things that are better than others, it's no where near the degeneracy we often saw in 1.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

Until tonight, I was with you.  Then I played a game.  

It was every bit as bad as I expected.

I learned, among other things, that Ion Cannon Turrets are rubbish.  They barely put out one damage per turn, even against 1-evade ships.  I didn't get a single ionization.  And the new turret mechanic simply sucks.  I learned that Y-Wings are even easier to kill than ever.  And I learned that there are builds, including Scum Lando/Shadowcaster, that can reliably put out 5-6 dice attacks, use multiple mods to generate 4+ hits with multiple crits, AND pass out stress to make it impossible to do anything about it.  This is directly contrary to the FFG party line about how broken combos were going to be a thing of the past, token stacking and multiple dice mods were out, and blah blah blah.  The fact that such builds are possible means that they inevitably will find their way into the meta, and indeed BECOME the meta.

But congratulations, FFG.  You got me to buy your new stuff.  Once.

So what, you put a bad list on the table, it happens - happened in my first game, too. If you didn't even do one damage, you wouldn't have with a 3 dice primary, either - the problem here has to lie in your action economy. I wouldn't recommend spamming Y-Wings, try using Norra with ICT and bombs if you like the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all set but waiting for my regular opponents to get their act together.

Plus we're playing a bit of Epic at the moment anyway.

I am really looking forward to 2.0, especially the whole rebalancing it brings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve only gotten to play 10 games so far across 3 tournaments (4, 3, and 3 rounds) and not a single casual/practice game.

Used a different list at each tournament (Hwk Hwk Y-wing Y-wing, Hwk YT-2400, Y-wing Arc K-wing respectively) and won every game up until the final round of each event (The only time I moved tables at each event) putting me at 7-3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't justify the cost quite yet.  Plus with my friends being hesitant, we are holding off to pay the several hundred we need to properly convert.

The members of these official forums were able to convert much quicker than I expected.

For my group of friends, I am going to need upwards of 4 conversion kits and 2-3 box sets, plus a variety of trades, so even with some usual discounts, we need to get $200+ worth of conversions which just hasn't happened yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

I learned, among other things, that Ion Cannon Turrets are rubbish.  They barely put out one damage per turn, even against 1-evade ships.  I didn't get a single ionization.  And the new turret mechanic simply sucks.  I learned that Y-Wings are even easier to kill than ever.

This is wildly different from my experience flying a Y-Wing yesterday evening.  In both of my games, my humble Grey Squadron Y with an Ion Cannon Turret was absolutely my MVP, locking down aces and letting me take them off the board.  I was genuinely surprised by how good it was - although I suspect it's notably better if it's the last ship shooting! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, markcsoul said:

Sadly I have yet to play any 2.0 games yet.  I haven't been to my LGS in probably over a month thanks to things that keep coming up on the night they do X-Wing.  I could go on vassal, but I really want my first few 2.0 games to be "live action" so to speak.

I haven't even purchased anything from 2.0 yet, if you exclude the tie reaper and saw's renegades.  Though I do know what list I want to run initially in 2.0.

Anyone else who hasn't played 2.0 yet?  I hope I'm not the only one!

HAVENT PLAYED 2.0 YET!?!?

stop typing on that keyboard, turn off your computer, pick up your x-wing and head straight down to your FLGS, by a kit of choice and start playing!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

So what, you put a bad list on the table, it happens - happened in my first game, too. If you didn't even do one damage, you wouldn't have with a 3 dice primary, either - the problem here has to lie in your action economy. I wouldn't recommend spamming Y-Wings, try using Norra with ICT and bombs if you like the ship.

My point isn't only that ICT's and turrets in general suck.  It's that abusive builds such as the one mentioned are possible, despite FFG's assurances to the contrary. 

2.0 is going to degenerate just as badly as 1.0 did, and even sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stinger07 said:

For my group of friends, I am going to need upwards of 4 conversion kits and 2-3 box sets, plus a variety of trades, so even with some usual discounts, we need to get $200+ worth of conversions which just hasn't happened yet.

You don't have to convert EVERYTHING you own at one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

My point isn't only that ICT's and turrets in general suck.  It's that abusive builds such as the one mentioned are possible, despite FFG's assurances to the contrary. 

2.0 is going to degenerate just as badly as 1.0 did, and even sooner.

This has not been my experience at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

Until tonight, I was with you.  Then I played a game.  

It was every bit as bad as I expected.

I learned, among other things, that Ion Cannon Turrets are rubbish.  They barely put out one damage per turn, even against 1-evade ships.  I didn't get a single ionization.  And the new turret mechanic simply sucks.  I learned that Y-Wings are even easier to kill than ever.  And I learned that there are builds, including Scum Lando/Shadowcaster, that can reliably put out 5-6 dice attacks, use multiple mods to generate 4+ hits with multiple crits, AND pass out stress to make it impossible to do anything about it.  This is directly contrary to the FFG party line about how broken combos were going to be a thing of the past, token stacking and multiple dice mods were out, and blah blah blah.  The fact that such builds are possible means that they inevitably will find their way into the meta, and indeed BECOME the meta.

But congratulations, FFG.  You got me to buy your new stuff.  Once.

That's very strange.... Ion turret y-wings are my absolute favorite Rebel ship atm... so freaking good.

People in another thread are complaining the Shadowcaster is trash..... 

I have no idea what happened... 

Sorry you did not enjoy second edition, I would say give it another chance but I think you are decided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stinger07 said:

I can't justify the cost quite yet.  Plus with my friends being hesitant.....

This is my position pretty much. The crew I mostly play with are still not converted at all, and I'm usually one of the last ones to pull the trigger; always thinking like a sniper makes one wait till most all the other pieces in the field move first. 

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

You don't have to convert EVERYTHING you own at one time.

True, true..... I wish they would have just sold them in small card packs for each ship akin to baseball cards, at a very reasonable price if possible. Sell the damage deck, rulers, dice and templates as a set, sans ships. Starting with a few squads you love would have been a better entry level way to invest, IMO.

 

...and @Icelom, it does look like fun! Firesprays look nasty....or sound nasty, right @Brunas?

 

Edited by clanofwolves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havn't gotten out to play a game yet. Knock on wood that changes tonight unless something pops up in the next 45 minutes. But was a combination of missing all the launch day events due to my LGS not getting their shipment on time and then I missed the next week because I put off punching all the cardboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

And I learned that there are builds, including Scum Lando/Shadowcaster, that can reliably put out 5-6 dice attacks, use multiple mods to generate 4+ hits with multiple crits, AND pass out stress to make it impossible to do anything about it

I am confused by what exactly you think can reliably do this that doesn't take an entire lists worth of janky setup and poor positioning on your part to pull off

Lando has 2 dice + 1 for R1 + 1 for trick shot + 1 for title (due to stress from Asajj) gets you up to 5 dice. Greedo(?) lets you change 1 to a crit.

But in order to pull that off the following had to happen

  • You are I4 or I5 and lost initiative
  • They got you in arc at R1
  • They put a rock between you (again at R1 which ain't easy...)
  • They got you in arc of Asajj and you decided to take the stress instead of discarding a green token
  • They saved a TL from the turn before combined with a focus this turn to reliably generate 4 hits

At that point I kind of feel like the problem maybe isn't 2.0... that's a perfectly setup shot and they pretty much deserve their pile of dice and crit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not played, and not looking to do so for a long, long while.

I am in the middle of an Epic campaign that I designed with all of the imbalances of 1.0 in mind, although for beer and pretzels XWM they can be easily avoided anyways.

Nothing at all about the launch of 2.0 has given me the tingling feeling that I need to dump more money into a game that I was basically fine with in the first place.  There were moments when I thought I would try it out, but the App launch was the final straw.  Standard Play was never my thing, and Epic is Dead.

There is just no compelling reason to pay for a new version of a game that I am still enjoying quite well in it's first incarnation.  I really only play about once a month in the first place, so there are plenty of things left to explore in 1.0.

I had really hoped that 2.0 would expand the scope of play, not just reboot the tournament scene.  Quickbuild cards were not what I had in mind.

So my wallet is getting a XWM rest.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×