Jump to content
Tonbo Karasu

Children of the Empire Spoilers

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Daisetsu would have made this announcement in rose petals.......

Just sayin

No he would have made vague comments that tangentially lead to the conclusion that he wants the release to be that day so that Shahai can make **** sure it does go down that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grrrr, they would have to release this in the middle of me being out of town three weeks in a row. And with Defend Your Honor being such a must have I gonna need to make arrangements to acquire a copy in time for Boston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shineyorkboy said:

Grrrr, they would have to release this in the middle of me being out of town three weeks in a row. And with Defend Your Honor being such a must have I gonna need to make arrangements to acquire a copy in time for Boston.

Can't you just buy one in Boston?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

I'd prefer to support my FLGS. Plus I have store credit there so I have to spend less actual money.

If you're tight with your store owner they may be willing to deduct your store credit from your account and then pay another shop so you can pick it up there.  I've had a shop owner do that for me once when I was in a similar situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prayers to Ebisu seems great to stop that honor victory at the last moment.  Not that we’re seeing a lot of them now...

And we have the card designed by Samuel Benies, the 2017 World Champion. Which is kinda... meh?

I’m not convinced by any of the Phoenix cards. Shinjo Ambusher is great, specially against the “trigger if broken” provinces. 

Edited by Tabris2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Last cards for CotE

dZU9Hia_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Anybody see what the # on Vassal Fields is? I wanna know if I was right when I claimed that Illustrious Forge was #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mangod said:

Anybody see what the # on Vassal Fields is? I wanna know if I was right when I claimed that Illustrious Forge was #2.

dZU9Hia.jpg

It's a 5. Air is 1, Water is 3, Void is 4. 

Edited by Tabris2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ancestral Shrine seems ok for Phoenix. You're gonna return those rings anyways, so getting some free honor off them in the Fate phase seems alright. Phoenix does have some great holdings to compete with, though. I also like Kiku Matsuri. More honored characters is great for Phoenix. I'm probably going to try it out in Isawa Mori Seido decks, but again, not sure about going up against Manicured Gardens. Seeker of Air is more appealing now though.

Shinjo Ambusher and Outskirts Sentry both seem great for Unicorn, and I could see Ambusher being splashed in many decks.

Unmask seems pretty good. It'd be nice to play it on your own character and drop their dishonored, but I think 80%+ of the time, you're playing it on their Banzai'd dude. Versatile card, so I expect any void Scorpion builds to run it.

I'm on the fence about Severed from the Stream. Very niche uses, but there are times where I'd pay 1 to steal Imperial Favor, and that's important to Phoenix a lot of the time, where a good Fate Worse than Death can ruin your game, and you need Censure backup. Though to be honest, it's been a while since I've played outside my small group, and I'm not sure Censure sees much play besides me.

I like Paragon of Grace a lot. Even non-random discard can hurt, but at random every round is painful, and the stats are still decent if they get Clouded.

A lot of misses, though. Civil Discourse in particular seems bad to me. Spending a fate and a card up front to shut down your opponent in one conflict just means they'll be coming back later to punish you for it, and you still have to win the duel against their top guy. Good for closing out that last conflict, but you're paying a lot for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

Ancestral Shrine seems ok for Phoenix. You're gonna return those rings anyways, so getting some free honor off them in the Fate phase seems alright. Phoenix does have some great holdings to compete with, though. I also like Kiku Matsuri. More honored characters is great for Phoenix. I'm probably going to try it out in Isawa Mori Seido decks, but again, not sure about going up against Manicured Gardens. Seeker of Air is more appealing now though.

You can also use it to set up extra Tsukune targets of rings you really want to claim again at the end of the conflict phase if you don't care that much about favour or are up enough on the glory count.

31 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

I'm on the fence about Severed from the Stream. Very niche uses, but there are times where I'd pay 1 to steal Imperial Favor, and that's important to Phoenix a lot of the time, where a good Fate Worse than Death can ruin your game, and you need Censure backup. Though to be honest, it's been a while since I've played outside my small group, and I'm not sure Censure sees much play besides me.

Severed with Tadaka will be the real soul breaker.  This now means Phoenix have 6 ways to ensure even when you go for Earth Ring while he is in play you don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plan:

1. Buy Kujira's Hireling.

2. Pass, play a Sneaky Shinjo with the fate.

3. Attack with Sneaky, charging in Yoritomo for first attack.

4. Gaijin Customs Yoritomo for the defense.

5. Attack with Hireling and spend all your money on him.

6. Try not to lose.

7. Lose a lot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AradonTemplar said:

Plan:

1. Buy Kujira's Hireling.

2. Pass, play a Sneaky Shinjo with the fate.

3. Attack with Sneaky, charging in Yoritomo for first attack.

4. Gaijin Customs Yoritomo for the defense.

5. Attack with Hireling and spend all your money on him.

6. Try not to lose.

7. Lose a lot.

 

Kujira's are conflict characters so your order is slightly off.  its:

1. Pass, play a Sneaky Shinjo with the fate.

2. Attack with Sneaky, charging in Yoritomo for first attack.

3. Gaijin Customs Yoritomo for the defense.

4. Buy Kujira's Hireling.

5. Attack with Hireling and spend all your money on him.

6. Try not to lose.

7. Lose a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even better, they'll never see it coming!

4 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Kujira's are conflict characters so your order is slightly off.  its:

1. Pass, play a Sneaky Shinjo with the fate.

2. Attack with Sneaky, charging in Yoritomo for first attack.

3. Gaijin Customs Yoritomo for the defense.

4. Buy Kujira's Hireling.

5. Attack with Hireling and spend all your money on him.

6. Try not to lose.

7. Lose a lot.

Edit: Actually that makes me like him a lot more, now. 1 fate per point of skill is a steep cost, but as a 1-fate body that's not terrible.

Edited by AradonTemplar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

Even better, they'll never see it coming!

Edit: Actually that makes me like him a lot more, now. 1 fate per point of skill is a steep cost, but as a 1-fate body that's not terrible.

The main issue is he takes up one of your 10 conflict stats and there are better impact bodies that could end up in that space.  I can maybe see him in HMT Lion as another cheap scrificial bushi to drop and activate your box, but I don't see playing him otherwise.  Unless to claim that sweet wandering ronin bounty than he goes in every deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking at these cards and I’m overwhelmed by the amount of choices (directions?) a given deck will/might be composed of in the near future. 

A part of me can’t handle the nuisances that the various cards will have on my decision making process with my deck design choices, and even more so with my opponents’ decks. 

I might have to stop playing this game as I’m not able to grasp so many complexities with the various decks and just how they might influence my gaming. I’m totally serious. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how there's actual choices to make now in deck building, I didn't like how thus far it's been either play the top deck or you're wrong, now there will be actual variation and experimentation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't play competitively, but I've been impressed already with the variety of deckbuilding. In MtG, I've generally gravitated towards one or two types of decks per color or color pair. If I built a blue-green deck, it'd pretty much always involve the same sorts of cards. By the time Underhand of the Emperor came out, though, most clans had two or even three strategies and focuses I wanted to try out. Sometimes they're fairly minor variations on each other, and they're not always great (one might say, JANK), but they've always felt thematic and interesting enough to at least put together and try out. As the game develops, I see that only becoming more so, as clan packs add specific tools for new strategies like the duel-focused Crane, or a weird long-game Unicorn with their newest stronghold.

My biggest disappointment so far with deckbuilding has really just been in role-restricted cards that have felt incredibly under-whelming. Some have been great, but some of them like Lion's Writ have been unplayable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My complaint about lack of variation is about community attitude more than existing ability to experiment, as up 'til now there's been pretty much one "best" build (at least in dragon, it may have been different in other clans) and if you tried to do something other than that build people wouldn't give any sort of constructive criticism to make the idea as good as possible, they'd just tell you to play that build instead. At least that's how the dragon discord is, don't know if it's any better elsewhere or with other clans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×