Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

Clan Choices at Winter Court 2018

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

That's the same as the flavour text on the Seal of the Crab card.  It made me LOL when it was spoilered.

I love Seal of the Crab for that, and for the seal itself. All the others are ornate, highly crafted objects, and the Crab seal is a rough block of stone. The image and the text work together fantastically.

Kaiu or Yasuki on this one-

The Kaiu because their option actually seems flexible- it even makes provision for "if the tower has fallen."
The Yasuki choice is neat because it refers to allies, and the Crab could always use a few more of those on display. Who do those slimy carp rope into helping?

As for the letter.... man, Kisada... "The Yasuki daimyo was NOT kidnapped. MOST EMPHATICALLY NOT. THAT IS WHY I BRING IT UP SO DIRECTLY AND IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS."

Still, when one picks up a blunt instrument, one shouldn't be surprised if it's not good for delicate work...

4 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Kaiu or Yasuki on this one-

The Kaiu because their option actually seems flexible- it even makes provision for "if the tower has fallen."
The Yasuki choice is neat because it refers to allies, and the Crab could always use a few more of those on display. Who do those slimy carp rope into helping?

As for the letter.... man, Kisada... "The Yasuki daimyo was NOT kidnapped. MOST EMPHATICALLY NOT. THAT IS WHY I BRING IT UP SO DIRECTLY AND IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS."

Still, when one picks up a blunt instrument, one shouldn't be surprised if it's not good for delicate work...

Well I’M not going to be the one to call him out on it. Not being crushed like a bug is an ideal state imo.

The Kaiu seem the more interesting option, and they never had much storytime even in the old lore.

Going back to the Dragon option I just realized that, considering Tiger Stalks His Prey, the Mirumoto may actually be an interesting option, more so if, by securing Otosan Uchi, they end up as Sotorii's protectors. It has the possibility to literally be the pebble that starts the avalanche.

The Togashi are still a hard no, though.

Would be hilarious for the weakened Crane to reconcile with the Crab for an alliance... and then later they find the Crab working with the Mantis is one of the reasons why they were weakened in the first place, but now the Crane and Crab have had a few successes under their belt and so the alliance seems to be working...

So awkward...

Edited by Waywardpaladin

1 hour ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Would be hilarious for the weakened Crane to reconcile with the Crane for an alliance... and then later they find the Crab working with the Mantis is one of the reasons why they were weakened in the first place, but now the Crane and Crab have had a few successes under their belt and so the alliance seems to be working...

So awkward...

It would be hilarious, but sadly after the way Yoshi "diplomatically" handled the Crab requests (#kakitayoshiisafool) don't see the Crab/Crane alliance as likely to happen.  If the Crab are going to reach out to any of the clans for aid it would likely be one of the more militaristic ones (so Lion or Unicorn) however given their current stance to each other it may be difficult to convince either to spare troops or resources to the Crab so the next best choice may be the Scorpion since they are not currently reeling from any massive political or economic disasters and do have a decent standing army coupled with reasonable geographic proximity.

Edited by Schmoozies
someday I'll figure out who keeps making all those typos

45 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

If the Crab are going to reach out to any of the clans for aid it would likely be one of the more militaristic ones (so Lion or Unicorn) however given their current stance to each other it may be difficult to convince either to spare troops or resources to the Crab so the next best choice may be the Scorpion since they are not currently reeling from any massive political or economic disasters and do have a decent standing army coupled with reasonable geographic proximity.

#PincerAlliance

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

If the Crab are going to reach out to any of the clans for aid it would likely be one of the more militaristic ones (so Lion or Unicorn) however given their current stance to each other it may be difficult to convince either to spare troops or resources to the Crab so the next best choice may be the Scorpion since they are not currently reeling from any massive political or economic disasters and do have a decent standing army coupled with reasonable geographic proximity.

Alternately...

"Oh, you want our help finding your Master of Earth, Phoenix? How fascinating. We were under the impression that he was here of his own volition, but if you really want him back..."

37 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Alternately...

"Oh, you want our help finding your Master of Earth, Phoenix? How fascinating. We were under the impression that he was here of his own volition, but if you really want him back..."

Main issue here is geography as there is a lot of land between the two clans making logistics a problem, and aside from their Shugenja the Phoenix don't bring a lot else to the table.  They have a rather small standing army so they aren't going to be that good for reinforcing the wall with troops.

Their Shugenja could certainly be useful, especially if their Earth Shugenja start actively hunting Jade sources for the Crab, but I'm not sure the Phoenix are that interested in getting themselves tied to the mess that is the defense of the southern border.

34 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Main issue here is geography as there is a lot of land between the two clans making logistics a problem, and aside from their Shugenja the Phoenix don't bring a lot else to the table.  They have a rather small standing army so they aren't going to be that good for reinforcing the wall with troops.

Well they did march across the Empire in Old5R to intercede between the Crab and Crane over the Yasuki, so not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

7 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Also keep in mind that with how busy the Phoenix are dealing with the elemental imbalance, they likely have no shugenja to spare for assisting the Crab. If you recall, in Outsiders Kosori was going to have to wait several days before a shugenja was available to come assist her. 

Seems like at least one shugenja is free to assist the Crab...

4 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Seems like at least one shugenja is free to assist the Crab...

Quality, not quantity! :D

Admittedly, I mostly like that option because I was one of the people who spearheaded the Crab/Phoenix alliance at AEG's Winter Court 4, in part by going, "realistically, these two Clans have almost nothing to disagree about except style, and since neither one is Crane, that's not a serious obstacle"

18 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

It would be hilarious, but sadly after the way Yoshi "diplomatically" handled the Crab requests (#kakitayoshiisafool) don't see the Crab/Crane alliance as likely to happen.  If the Crab are going to reach out to any of the clans for aid it would likely be one of the more militaristic ones (so Lion or Unicorn) however given their current stance to each other it may be difficult to convince either to spare troops or resources to the Crab so the next best choice may be the Scorpion since they are not currently reeling from any massive political or economic disasters and do have a decent standing army coupled with reasonable geographic proximity.

Indeed. Yoshi was - in fairness - conveying Hantei and Kachiko's intent (which was basically "can't you just make the annoying man go away?") but it wasn't exactly handled diplomatically. But between the crane chancellor snubbing them, and the potential for any awkwardness if any Crane personnel might.....recognise?.....the provenance of the Crab's more recent weapons resupplies, I don't think the Crane are a good choice.

Kachiko would probably ignore them (and has advised just that) but Shoju has enough sense to wind in his ego and put Empire before Clan when something is risking overturning the entire applecart. Convincing him of just how bad things are is the challenge.

Right now, I fear you're not going to get much out of Altarnsai or Toturi as The Lion And The Unicorn Are Fighting For The Crown For The Western Bank Of Three Stone River and don't have any soldiers to spare for anyone else right now.

13 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Quality, not quantity! :D

Admittedly, I mostly like that option because I was one of the people who spearheaded the Crab/Phoenix alliance at AEG's Winter Court 4, in part by going, "realistically, these two Clans have almost nothing to disagree about except style, and since neither one is Crane, that's not a serious obstacle"

I agree 100%. When I would play in Kotei, if I wasn't splashing Ogre, I would splash a Phoenix Earth shuggie or two.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:07 AM, Schmoozies said:

Shoju has the most empire wide outlook of any of the current clan champions. If any of the great clans is going to help the Crab it will likely be the Scorpion clan.

Not that I have a problem with that as the Scorpion and Crab Clans share a lot of similarities in regards to their outlook on duty.

Shoju even says in the story "The World, A Stage",

“Then there is the matter of the Crab. Hida Kisada begins to mutter darkly about us, over the matter of the Emperor’s apparent lack of interest in the mounting threat to the Wall.

At the very least, he wonders why we don’t use our influence to convince the Emperor that securing the Wall is the Empire’s most pressing concern.”

“It is unlike Kisada to so openly admit weakness.” “I have offered him aid from our clan, troops and material, but he demands an unacceptable degree of control over them.”

8 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

Shoju has the most empire wide outlook of any of the current clan champions. If any of the great clans is going to help the Crab it will likely be the Scorpion clan.

Not that I have a problem with that as the Scorpion and Crab Clans share a lot of similarities in regards to their outlook on duty.

It also leaves you with three loose military/political alliances all to an extent vying with each other in Phoenix/Lion, Crane/Unicorn and Scorpion/Crab (with Mantis spice) and the Dragon as the outsiders looking on and acting to sway events as their lord dictates.  

37 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

“It is unlike Kisada to so openly admit weakness.” “I have offered him aid from our clan, troops and material, but he demands an unacceptable degree of control over them.”

I liked the irony in this part.

The reason Kisada didn't support Shoju during the Coup in Old5R was because Shuju asked him for help, and Kisada was like, "Ah, too weak to do it on your own, eh? Guess I'm against you then."

On 10/29/2018 at 1:00 PM, Schmoozies said:

Their Shugenja could certainly be useful, especially if their Earth Shugenja start actively hunting Jade sources for the Crab, but I'm not sure the Phoenix are that interested in getting themselves tied to the mess that is the defense of the southern border.

Both clans have a coastline.  get on a boat Phoenix!  Do your civic duty and help the Crab out.  At least Tadaka is visiting the Crab lands.  The council will have some first hand experience with the situation at the wall.  So that will give them a new perspective.  I'm very curious to find out what's going to happen to these Phoenix characters down south.