TheSoberPug

THE CLONE WARS IS HERE! (Kind of)

Just some initial thoughts:

Squadrons:

• The Droid Tri-Fighter is next to useless. 1 hull on a 21 point ship is giving away 21 points. 
  • Vulture Droids seem very under costed for their ability.

Upgrades

• Anakin Skywalker's ability is far too powerful. This is dealing multiple unblockable damage to hull. A good roll could one shot a large ship.
  • General Grevious - So do they move forward? The only way to get yaw to turn ships in Armada is through the maneuver tool, which requires you move.
  • General Kalani is pretty well useless. You're paying 25 points to have the card treated as being worth 20 points at the beginning of the game. Why not just make him 20 points with no ability?
  • Invisible Hand - This is super fiddly. You would have to write the values down to help with the changing hull back and forth.
  • Mega Ion Cannon - Thematically I get what you're going for, but mechanically this is a very cheap upgrade for what it does. Navigating is huge in this game. This has a lot of the benefits of Slicer Tools without needing the weak ship to carry it.
  • Task Force Skywalker - This is 15 points per pop for something that really only protects you against an accuracy or two. You can only spend one of each type of defense token per attack. On top of that, the ships that can carry this have double tokens anyway. 

You donot move forward with Grevious. I’ll increase the mega ion cannons cost, decreases task force Skywalker cost, increase Anakin cost and give the tri-Droid 2 health and increase the 5 point bid to 10. I’m only going to change the tri-droids hull to 2 because it has 2 Red Dice, snipe 4, and counter so it can do a lot in 1 turn. Also, increase the Hull by anything else would be overpowered, especially with the Invisble Hand on the side of the separatists. By the way this invisible Hand is for if you have a squadron that’s about to die you can use invisible Hand to get one more turn out of that card

On 10/6/2018 at 2:18 PM, old_school_overlord said:

Just now, TheSoberPug said:

how does word spread so quickly around here?

1 hour ago, Astrodar said:

I had something else I was saying, but on second thought: You do you.

I'll again suggest that playing the game may clear up some stuff.

1 hour ago, Astrodar said:

For Grievous, there is no turn mechanic in the game, not is there a way to implement one using the existing maneuver tool.  A speed one maneuver could work, however.  It’s a cool concept.  The Trifighter also warrants a discount.  I take it you’re aware snipe doesn’t allow an extra attack, just an alternative option?  A comparison to Maarek Stele, also 21 points (not a suggestion to make it more like Maarek, but to price accordingly for a generic:)

3 avg damage vs 2.5 (normal or snipe)

6 hull vs 2

2 braces vs 0

speed 5 vs speed 4 (tri deserves 5 imo)

2 avg bombing damage vs 0.5

no counter vs counter 1

no snipe vs snipe 4

Bro. As pointed out already, Skywalker is way OP, all the droid squads should have speed 5 or for the bombers 4, they should all have 3 hull. There should also be unique pilots for both sides, or at least pilots with special abilities. Costs are all over the place and they are all wack. I really think you need to playtest things before you post them. Some things are extremely broken and others are mediocre. Take a look at other people's stuff. See how they do it and see how no upgrade is an "auto include". If I could run Anakin, I would run him in every list.  I would also take a look at your ARC 170. This ship is 27 points????? What? It is basically a slightly better phantom!!! This is obscene point increase! In some cases I would consider the Phantom BETTER than the ARC. I feel like you have NO clue what you are doing and you are just making things up to make me frustrated. In core sets the main ships should both be balanced at eachother, or one side needs two ships. I would personally make the Venator a 8 hull ship, bring down its front armament by 1 red and give an ARQ to them. This would balance it a lot more. I would also make sure one of the Venators has a ordnance upgrade slot IF NOT 2 bc of all the close range fighting they do. They are basically naval warfare at its best. Also when you give a ships a upgrade slot, generally you need to give a new card in that slot. I would recommend more cards, especially officers, so that people would actually get something out of this "core" set. Trying to be nice dude, but you keep letting me down! You REALLY need to play the game more and learn how a (20 point!) officer can take out a 110 point ship in ~two LONG RANGE attacks. this is crazy good and way to op. I think you honestly need to THINK before you submit your stuff. At least ask someone (who plays armada well) if they think it is fair stuff. I am more than happy to help you bc I love new players! Seriously, go with the themes, learn about this ships (use star wars Explained) and find the ins and outs! I think there is PLENTY of potential here, but you are selling everything wrong. try it out! No need to wait for models, just use some ships and get down to playing it. You should also have some more objective cards in here, or at LEAST the other core cards, again, core set. If you want, I will give you a few cards so that you can get an idea of what to make. 

Best of Luck!

Chris

https://ffgstarwarsgames.wordpress.com/

@Cleto0

cleto0@live.com

1st place Game Cafe Store Champs (1st in KC area  :D , No Flexing)

3 hours ago, Cleto0 said:

I would also make sure one of the Venators has a ordnance upgrade slot IF NOT 2 bc of all the close range fighting they do. They are basically naval warfare at its best. 

So completely independent of the rest of that, I disagree with this.  Ships with the ordnance slot actually have ordnance.  The Venator does not and deserves turbolaser and ion slots.  It was more of a multirole cruiser than a dedicated battleship, and the only close-range fighting we see is in RoTS where vast numbers of warships are trapped in the confines of a planetary shield.  Maybe a variant could have black dice in an ISD-1 kind of situation.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Well, officially the ISD-1 doesn't have ordnance,  but still has black dice. The Venator has torpedo tubes. (Using wookiepedia) It was for sure more of a multirole cruiser, but it does have potential. I would give it a lot less dice and give it titles that make it more carrier based or a swarm dynamic. Just ideas.  Maybe a new upgrade like a torpedo that you just put out at a certain distance from the hull zone you are "attacking" from. And it just explodes when something hits it. If not, I think it still needs black dice.  So maybe front has 2 red and 2 blue.  2 red 1 blue and 1black on side and 2 red on rear. Just an idea. I would say a 2 point title that gives it an extra red die for each other one at range 5. Something so we can see 2-4 of them.  another title could be Triumphant - Plo Koon's Flagship. I am having a hard time coming up with something for it to be :) . all in all I just think it needs to be. Costed with the victory and since it has great engines, it needed another weakness, so maybe hull or shielding. I am not putting serious thought into this right now, but there is serious work needed here (ffg!). 

6 hours ago, Cleto0 said:

The Venator has torpedo tubes

I stand corrected.  Nonetheless, the sole source for that is the Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings app, and using it for an Armada interpretation would leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially given what we’ve seen of the Venator’s fighting style; given the choice it stays at a distance when fighting.  I absolutely agree on making it a carrier-based platform though, likely with a support team to differentiate it from Imperial designs.  I’d probably go for mostly red dice with a couple blue.  Arcs like an overgrown Arquitens, the same front arc of 2 Red/2 Blue, but sides of 4 Red/2 Blue (rear of 2 Red/1Blue.)  Unlike the Arq, it could have a good time double-arcing, by being resilient enough to approach some foes and hopefully possessing a better nav chart.  It’ll be interesting to see what FFG comes up with (and I think they will!)

Edited by The Jabbawookie

33 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I stand corrected.  Nonetheless, the sole source for that is the Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings app, and using it for an Armada interpretation would leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially given what we’ve seen of the Venator’s fighting style; given the choice it stays at a distance when fighting.  I absolutely agree on making it a carrier-based platform though, likely with a support team to differentiate it from Imperial designs.  

:) I have always thought they were closer range ships, so I just assumed they had them. I guess I got lucky that they actually had them. My main hope is that they give you a benefit for having a double bridge. I think they should get a half squadron command or something, maybe a title for this?  I do think your idea about an "overgrown" Arquitens works well. 

Cheers!

-Chris 

17 hours ago, Cleto0 said:

Bro. As pointed out already, Skywalker is way OP, all the droid squads should have speed 5 or for the bombers 4, they should all have 3 hull. There should also be unique pilots for both sides, or at least pilots with special abilities. Costs are all over the place and they are all wack. I really think you need to playtest things before you post them. Some things are extremely broken and others are mediocre. Take a look at other people's stuff. See how they do it and see how no upgrade is an "auto include". If I could run Anakin, I would run him in every list.  I would also take a look at your ARC 170. This ship is 27 points????? What? It is basically a slightly better phantom!!! This is obscene point increase! In some cases I would consider the Phantom BETTER than the ARC. I feel like you have NO clue what you are doing and you are just making things up to make me frustrated. In core sets the main ships should both be balanced at eachother, or one side needs two ships. I would personally make the Venator a 8 hull ship, bring down its front armament by 1 red and give an ARQ to them. This would balance it a lot more. I would also make sure one of the Venators has a ordnance upgrade slot IF NOT 2 bc of all the close range fighting they do. They are basically naval warfare at its best. Also when you give a ships a upgrade slot, generally you need to give a new card in that slot. I would recommend more cards, especially officers, so that people would actually get something out of this "core" set. Trying to be nice dude, but you keep letting me down! You REALLY need to play the game more and learn how a (20 point!) officer can take out a 110 point ship in ~two LONG RANGE attacks. this is crazy good and way to op. I think you honestly need to THINK before you submit your stuff. At least ask someone (who plays armada well) if they think it is fair stuff. I am more than happy to help you bc I love new players! Seriously, go with the themes, learn about this ships (use star wars Explained) and find the ins and outs! I think there is PLENTY of potential here, but you are selling everything wrong. try it out! No need to wait for models, just use some ships and get down to playing it. You should also have some more objective cards in here, or at LEAST the other core cards, again, core set. If you want, I will give you a few cards so that you can get an idea of what to make. 

Best of Luck!

Chris

@Cleto0

cleto0@live.com

1st place Game Cafe Store Champs (1st in KC area  :D , No Flexing)

That was... Long. Anyway, I changed the arc 170s, Skywalker and the venator. Anyway, how does this sound- Triumphant- Instead of executing a maneuver, you may make a maneuver at speed 4 with 0 yaw points. 

That actually sounds awesome.

To prevent subbing it for an Engine Techs maneuver, it should read “instead of executing your first maneuver.”  I’d make it a discard, because exiting hyperspace is thematically a once-per-battle trick and balance-wise true speed four on a large is a big deal.  But totally loving this idea.

Thanks for the advice- Instead of executing your first maneuver, you make a maneuver at speed 4 with a yaw value of 0. By the way, i Know they already did this with legion, but wouldn’t it be cool to have a land armada? The vehicles like at-at’s and at-st’s can be the ships and the infantry can be the squadrons 

Edited by TheSoberPug

On 10/14/2018 at 11:57 AM, TheSoberPug said:

Thanks for the advice- Instead of executing your first maneuver, you make a maneuver at speed 4 with a yaw value of 0. By the way, i Know they already did this with legion, but wouldn’t it be cool to have a land armada? The vehicles like at-at’s and at-st’s can be the ships and the infantry can be the squadrons 

Would take a shiteload of 3d printing but would be pretty cool. AT-ST small base - AT-AT large base would be cool, but scale vs distance might be an issue cause at that scale the movements would be really huge.

I'm sorry but all of these ships are nearly completely out of character for firepower. The Providence is 1.2/2.2 km of broadside with a maybe 50 m wide front, there is no way it can have its main battery be its front arc. Also, the providence was basically a missile only ship, sporting 102 proton torpedo tubes, and only about 14 duel turbo laser turrets( although I think they are heavy turbo lasers). And the same thing with the Venator, it is famous for fighting broadside! To finish my rant though, I think that the points are a little to high for the ships.