Sign in to follow this  
Seam

Need help for Zoey deck

Hello!

My wife wants to play a Zoey deck, and I do the decks for us. As I never made a Zoey deck before any advice would be welcome (2 core and all other stuff).

Additionally who would be a good complementary investigator?

Thanks.

Well, Zoey kills things. A lot. But she's kind of rubbish at finding clues. With her, you really want a seeker.

You can work around Zoey's clue limitations a bit, since she can take a few out-of-class cards. And she has good willpower, so taking Rite of Seeking is an option. 

As for building her deck, well, honestly, pack in whatever guardian cards you want. She's pretty straightforward: she gets resources for engaging enemies, so engage as many enemies as you can, then kill them.

hehe, what @Eldan985 said, for the most part. In two player games, Zoey is going to take the lion's share of the fighting, and could lean towards supporting her partner with a bit of testless clue collection. Rite of Seeking leverages her willpower, but there's also Drawn to the Flame, Working a Hunch, and in faction Evidence and Scene of the Crime, so there's a range of options. I suppose before you even look at her five off-class choices, thinking first about her role in your duo: if she's the fighter, how will she deal damage? What ally or allies will help with that? How will she cope with taking hits? Dodge them? Tank them? Worth having a thought about those things.

For her partner: a seeker would be great, of course, as that removes clue pressure. I've had a lot of fun pairing Zoey with Ursula and with Minh. But perhaps you want to be a clue-finding Finn or even a Mystic leaning into clues, such as reliable Jim or a Rite of Seeking/flashlight reliant Father Mateo? Again, if you're clear on Zoey's role, hopefully that'll add clarity to your own role too. Someone should write an article about building a deck for Zoey Samaras! 

Any seeker would make a good partner for Zoey.   Daisy is my go-to seeker, but whoever you like will do fine.  

You can probably build Zoey like just about any guardian as far as her in-class cards go.   Make sure you have a few weapons and maybe Prepared for the  Worst.  Beat Cops are good for allies, you might want Vicious Blow.  I'll plug my own personal deviation which is to include Take the Initiative, a card that I feel is massively underrated and can allow Guardians to do a variety of things they couldnt ordinarily do.  

Then it's down to your 5 out-of-class picks.  There are  a lot of good options,  but here are some of them.

1.  Lone Wolf:   2 players you can get this off pretty reliably, and make a lot of extra cash which is going to be useful for Guardians since they tend to have expensive cards.
2.  Lucky:  turning a miss into a hit is pretty good.  I'm never sorry to have this.
3.  Delve too Deep:   A spicier choice, but it's hard to deny the benefit of extra XP...  Still, you might be taking this out of your deck mid-campaign and spending 2 of your hard earned XP on 0 level out of class cards, which doesnt feel particularly great.   Part of the reason I like Daisy is that she can run this for you no problem.   If you're a person who just wants loads of XP as soon as possible you might consider this,  if not pick a different card.
4.  Liquid Courage:  Zoey's 4 WP means she can heal her horror very nicely with this card.
5.  Leather Coat:  makes a very nice "1-of"  for your 5th slot.   A little extra survivability at exactly the right price.

There are so many other ways you can go...  but hopefully you've got some ideas.

With Zoey's Cross (and upgraded Phys Training, amongst others), Well Prepared is definitely worth picking up with XP - being able to boost combat checks by +3 without throwing cards in from hand is really handy.

Zoey/Rex is the most broken combo of investigators we've played. Zoey goes full River Tam on cultists or monsters while Rex gets a million clues per turn. Zoey's job is to keep things off Rex's back. Rex should invest in Strange Solution bombs and pack I've got a Plan so he's not totally defenseless.

This combo was our first blind attempt at Dunwich back when we were wee babes at Arkham Horror. We beat all 8 scenarios comfortably. Zoey was themed around kitchen utensils - Kukri, Knife, and Machete. No guns. It's also when we learned that Machete/Beat Cop is basically sufficient to kill everything and guns are gravy. We also learned that Guardian is an expensive class - we now always Stick to the Plan to get Emergency Caches with our Guardians.

Have fun! We sure did!

15 hours ago, Iuchi Toshimo said:

Zoey/Rex is the most broken combo of investigators we've played. Zoey goes full River Tam on cultists or monsters while Rex gets a million clues per turn. Zoey's job is to keep things off Rex's back. Rex should invest in Strange Solution bombs and pack I've got a Plan so he's not totally defenseless.

This combo was our first blind attempt at Dunwich back when we were wee babes at Arkham Horror. We beat all 8 scenarios comfortably. Zoey was themed around kitchen utensils - Kukri, Knife, and Machete. No guns. It's also when we learned that Machete/Beat Cop is basically sufficient to kill everything and guns are gravy. We also learned that Guardian is an expensive class - we now always Stick to the Plan to get Emergency Caches with our Guardians.

Have fun! We sure did!

Nice.  I'm doing something similar with Ursula & Leo.

Don't forget, Machete only deals bonus damage if you engaged with but 1 enemy (Massive included).  The more modern Survival Knife  works the same as a Guard Dog, but with a test and an additional Damage (limited once per turn, though).  Remember that Trusted gets Beat Cop (2) 1 extra HP and therefore 1 extra attack, and if he has but 1 health left you can Calling in Favors to put him back in your hand.