Gibarian

Why would anyone fly a Jumpmaster?

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Like, if 2e Jumpmaster only had one red right turn, instead of both?  A white rotate action that isn't linked?  I still think it'd be a bit pricey at current costs, but probably playable.

I'm less sure a Sensor slot would be right. It'd be potent: Lock or Focus into one of those high-value red moves with Advanced Sensors.  Dengar having FCS for his double-taps.  Personally, the way I'd give it back flexibility would be to have kept the Talent slot on the Contracted Scout.  It could be removed later if it was a problem, but going with Intimidation or Expert Handling would have made a Bumpmaster a lot more plausible.  I mean, generic Kimogila has a Talent slot...  Additionally, I kind of wish there was a "crew or droid" option all ships, rather than Punishing One being the hard switch.  That could have been an interesting ship ability, like how a Scyk gets a Cannon, Torpedo, or Missile.

I'd like to see some upgrades to swap one upgrade type for another.  My Lambda could really use a Gunner...

21 hours ago, Gibarian said:

Could someone remind me of the specific nerf phases? They never messed with the dial in 1.0, did they? The red right turns in 2.0 are what seem like a bridge too far. The predictability of only having one sloop direction is also bad.

First they tried to fix it by "reinterpreting" the agro-mech, destroying it's original intention as an enabler for blaster turrets in the process. After that didn't work they had to resort to hard errata for the first time. They nerfed Manaroo's range and made dead-eye small ships only. But non of the band-aid solutions helped, so they had to finally take away the torpedo slots.  

i flew jumpmasters in 4 diff tournaments. 4 diff lists. Paratini. Dengaroo. Bumpmaster+Fenn+Turoch. 2x Top carrying scouts + 2x pirates (all with feedback array).

They were all fun lists to fly but far from unbeatable. maybe with more practice by me they would hav been ;)

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

As it currently stands, Palob with the Hawk title is better than the Jumpmaster in almost every respect, stacking multiple focuses, stealing those from his enemy, jam, boost and a 3 dice frontal attack.  The jumpmaster cost is either due for a drop in price or there is something coming for it later down the pipeline.

9 hours ago, JJ48 said:

I'd like to see some upgrades to swap one upgrade type for another.  My Lambda could really use a Gunner...

My guess before the ship upgrade/price lists was that some ships like the ARC would have a Gunner or Crew slot and would be able to use either but not both.

I'd guessed wrong, but I think that concept would make sense on a lot of ships.

2 hours ago, dotswarlock said:

As it currently stands, Palob with the Hawk title is better than the Jumpmaster in almost every respect, stacking multiple focuses, stealing those from his enemy, jam, boost and a 3 dice frontal attack.  The jumpmaster cost is either due for a drop in price or there is something coming for it later down the pipeline.

This is what I expect for pretty much all the Extended Format ships, really.  The conversion kits are pretty much demo-mode for the ships in them until the ships are fully released (at which point there will hopefully be more card/cardboard-only expansions to allow you to upgrade your demo to the full release at a discount).

That said, I think things that are OP will need to be adjusted quickly, but if a ship's a little weak, they'll probably hold off adjusting it too much until it has all its toys. 

Edited by JJ48

Dumb question:

Should the Jumpmaster be a medium ship? (If it isn't already, I might have missed that memo.) The canonical size puts it closer to the U-Wing and Firespray than the YT-1300 and the YV-666.

the problem with the 2.0 jumpmaster is its not very good at anything therefore hasnt got a defined role in a squad. its not cheap enough to be a filler ship and gets trumped by the scum YT-1300 in both movement dial and playable upgrades right now.its the new lambda of 2.0 for scum. im surprised its still got 2 def dice (same as firespray) .

12 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

i flew jumpmasters in 4 diff tournaments. 4 diff lists. Paratini. Dengaroo. Bumpmaster+Fenn+Turoch. 2x Top carrying scouts + 2x pirates (all with feedback array).

They were all fun lists to fly but far from unbeatable. maybe with more practice by me they would hav been ;)

Parattani and Dengaroo were as close as it gets to unbeatable. 

Unless up against something specifically designed as a counter, either list put the burden of execution almost entirely on the opponent. It was up to them to come up with a plan to win, otherwise Dengaroo/Parattani will just bully them off the board by sheer numerical efficiency. 

1 minute ago, LordBlades said:

Parattani and Dengaroo were as close as it gets to unbeatable. 

Unless up against something specifically designed as a counter, either list put the burden of execution almost entirely on the opponent. It was up to them to come up with a plan to win, otherwise Dengaroo/Parattani will just bully them off the board by sheer numerical efficiency. 

K-Wings were in the same realm. bombs. sabine crew.

1 minute ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

K-Wings were in the same realm. bombs. sabine crew.

I disagree. Bombs only bullied aces. You could play a list with a couple of bulky ships and never care about Bombs. The problem  bombers were always ships like Miranda or Nym that had a ton of other stuff going on beside Bombs. 

1 minute ago, LordBlades said:

I disagree. Bombs only bullied aces. You could play a list with a couple of bulky ships and never care about Bombs. The problem  bombers were always ships like Miranda or Nym that had a ton of other stuff going on beside Bombs. 

thats what meant. Miranda and Nym plus broken-in-half upgrades. if u werent playing them it was painful.

It's going to be tough to fix without dramatic point costs. The dial destroyed it. But some things to consider; Lore and fluff have it with sensors and an Ion cannon. Before Dengar got ahold of it, it was a transport freighter. 

So attempts to make it feasible outside of cost lie in the upgrade slots. We don't want to see the "new cards to fix bad ships" issue to return to the game. Ideas include;

1) Without the title, add a crew slot, remove the gunner slot from the easy fix I mention below, and bring down the cost to lambda territory. It becomes a very distinct crew carrier. Limited in offense with a rotating 2 die turret. 

2) Add a cannon slot. This can help compensate for the weak primary and encourage arc flying. 

3) Add a sensor slot. Advanced sensors make it able to stay competitive despite the bad dial while requiring good flying still. Collision Detector helps it navigate obstacles. FCS is always helpful. 

But to fix it the easiest? Two words. Add Gunner. 

My feeling is that it probably had gunner, but they pulled it to see how it was without it. The Gunner slot basically saves it. Otherwise might as well fly y-wings. They're better in nearly every regard.

Edited by Cloaker

5 minutes ago, TheHumanHydra said:

I'd really like to see a playable Jumpmaster. It's one of the very few ships I own. Strangely, I actually like how it looks. And Dengar's a reasonably iconic pilot (i.e. he's on screen).

Along side Fett, Zuccus, 4-LOM, Bossk and IG-88 (not sure which one, I think C) being derided by the lieutenant in the console bay at their feet till he notices Bossk is listening and turns a few shades paler.