SpiderMana

B-Wing Mods Gone Wrong

So I finally decided to get my B-Wings flying horizontally. I put some water on to boil, took some pliers and regular old pegs, and got to work.

First attempt was a bit wonky, more of a 45* angle. Second attempt was just about perfect.

But when I put the ships on the pegs to see how they looked so far, getting them off ended up being a problem. So now neither of my B-Wings has a peg attached to it at all.

Should I keep going in my attempts with bending pegs? Will that make it too easy to break the B-Wing pegs off yet again? Should I just take this as a gift of the first step towards installing the magnet system I’ve seen around? Any tips towards making either one work better/best? I don’t have easy access to a ton of tools, but being able to swivel them with magnets does seem nice. I just haven’t felt like it was worth the effort/possible destruction of my ships.

Thanks, all!

Edited by SpiderMana

I think breaking/cutting the pegs and gluing them back on or magnetizing the B wings is the best way to do it. As a note for B wings, the bigger magnets and bearing work great for them. If you also use a larger magnets and balls, such as the NSB6 (ball) and R622CS-N (countersunk ring magnet) from K&J Magnetics, that will hold the B wing in any position you could possibly desire. 

3 hours ago, vbananas said:

I think breaking/cutting the pegs and gluing them back on or magnetizing the B wings is the best way to do it. As a note for B wings, the bigger magnets and bearing work great for them. If you also use a larger magnets and balls, such as the NSB6 (ball) and R622CS-N (countersunk ring magnet) from K&J Magnetics, that will hold the B wing in any position you could possibly desire. 

If I get those magnets, will I have to cut into the ship at all? And would you suggest putting the ring on the ship or the peg?

3 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

If I get those magnets, will I have to cut into the ship at all? And would you suggest putting the ring on the ship or the peg?

Ive never seen anyone actually cut the ship to magnet on, Freeze the ship, and that should make the glue brittle, then just tug the peg off with slght wiggles. Also should be able to remove any parts that are glued as well, like the cockpit so you can then proceed to properly rotate it in the right position for it to fly Horizontally. Magnets, just remove the typical attachment peg and plop on the magnet, glue on, and then glue a ball magnet to the peg. and tada.

I don't know if this can help you.

I drilled a hole for a small "box nail" and glued it in place. I attached a small flat magnet to the end of that and another magnet to the bent peg. Watch your polarities.

sdIKgNa.jpg

Something else I did, as you can see, is I cut some spare pegs at an angle and epoxied them together. To me, my B-wings were hanging too far forward above the base, so this was my solution. If you use shorter box nails than what I did, you shouldn't have this issue.

Edited by Force Majeure

So update...

The magnets will not stay glued to the ship or the peg. I've tried being careful with them, but inevitably they end up magnetizing with too much force from a bit of a distance, and that seems to break the glue pretty quick.

Do some magnets not like glue? I'll admit I just grabbed some from the craft store, they're size pretty nicely, but they just. Won't. Stay. Using Loctite, and sanding off old glue every time I try... But the one that seemed to be staying on pretty well just broke off too. So.

Help?

You think the shock of the magnets hitting each other is causing the glue to fail? Hmm... Maybe you could put a thin barrier between the magnets to weaken their attraction, like a piece of tape maybe. Or use a magnet on the ship and on the peg, remove that magnet and replace it with a piece of metal that works with magnets. The head of a nail or thumb tack.

I use two magnets, the neodymininuminuminum--whatever they're called--but they're affixed using clear epoxy. The epoxy has yellowed over time, but the magnets are on solid.

I beleive this is what I have, but there are all kinds of epoxy:
Loctite Clear Multi-Purpose Epoxy Adhesive